Re: [art_education] End of the year art games and art criticism activities

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2007
      Here's a great book... Games for Teaching Art by Sandra L.H. Alger

      My favorite art game to play with students is sort of a concentration game played with art prints.  Here's the scoop with the game:
                1.  Choose large prints with lots of objects, people doing things etc...
                2.  Lay a large piece of paper over the print (brown kraft paper works great).. tape
                     down so entire print is covered.
                3.  Carefully cut a 3 sided window (so it swings open and closed) over 6 or 7 objects  or people.
                4.  Tape the window down so the kids can't see what's under it.
                5.  Break the class into teams (one team per print.. usually 3-5 kids per team)
                    Give them 2 minutes to learn the name of print, artist, and date it was created,
                   and of course, the imagery.. they must remember detail.. not just a woman, but, for example a woman in a red dress sitting on a sofa, because there maybe more than one woman in the picture.
               6.  After having time to study the print.  You quickly cover the print with the pre-cut paper and hang up all the prints with the paper covering.
               7.  Each team has a captain.. choose a team to start the game.  The captain goes first.  Ask them the name of the print.  If they answer correctly give them a point and then you can ask another question such as.. the name of the artist.. then the date of creation.  If the team continually answers correctly they keep going until they make a mistake.
               8.  After they answer the 3 factual questions correctly, then you can ask one person on the team, "What is behind door # 1.."  They cannot confer with teammates.  After 10 seconds. they need to answer and then you open the window and show them what is behind the paper door.. if correct.. they earn a point and keep going if wrong..then they forfeit their turn and you go to the next team.
              9.  The team with the most points at the end.. wins.
      This is whoppin fun.. and because they can't confer and help each other with answers.. it involves everyone on the team and they are very quiet during the game concentrating.  I have done this with 3rd- HS.

      yrbrownarted <yrbrownarted@...> wrote:
      Please share or refer me to a source for one day art games and/or art criticism activities.

      YRB

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2007
        I made a game inspired by the Exquisite (sp?) Beastie lesson on IAD that the kids love!
        They have strips of paper, they each create one part of the creature and then glue them
        together on a worksheet that asks for a bio on the beast- name, habitat, powers, food,
        etc. I think it is groups of three or four. You could also just play the original fluxus game.
        I also recommend creating Artist Trading Cards with your students no matter what age
        (the little ones can fly through the blanks so cut a ton from heavy paper to start). I have a
        papge of links on my web site that are fun too. http://www.potsdam.k12.ny.us/
        ~abenton/pages/coolsites.htm hope this helps, ALi