Re: Need help from colleagues-Thanks to all

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 11:43 AM

      > Hi Jeanette,
      >
      > There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job
      openings
      > pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:
      >
      > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html
      >
      > You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
      > also search for positions on:
      >
      > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html
      >
      > I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
      > jobs in any state in the U.S.
      >
      > If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position
      anywhere
      > in the world, submit your opening to:
      >
      > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit
      >
      > Ken Rohrer
      > Incredible Art Department
      >
      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@>
      wrote:

      > > Hello fellow art teachers-
      > > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
      > > obtaining employment thus far.
      > > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work
      quite
      > > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet
      > > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job,
      as I
      > > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much.
      > > guess I dont have the patience for them.
      > > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do
      art
      > > for charity fundraising.
      > > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
      > > term projects with the high school students, so they can really
      get
      > > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something
      that
      > > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
      > > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
      > > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating
      just
      > > about anywhere in the USA.
      > > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
      > > school or district and can send me information as to how to
      apply
      > > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
      > > Thank you for "listening".

      Hi its me again- just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
      Most of you tried to direct and assist me in my endeavors! I
      will "keep on keeping on" as they use to say in the 70's!
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4 7:30 AM
        > Hi Jeannette,

        I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but is my one stop
        clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and there is a map
        showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links. I found my current
        position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the certification to teach there is
        streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in northern NY took months,
        3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in Florida and it took
        about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives you the low down on
        areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.

        As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the district has their hire
        before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and resume for grammarical
        errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!) and add a cd with student
        work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for calls for art will get
        your foot in the door. Good luck ALi
      • Lenny Sanz
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4 5:49 PM
          I am replying to Jeannette and all those replying to her.
          I too have been looking for a job, I guess almost always.
          I work in an impoverished district in NY and the kids are very tough.
          I went to a district job fair recently- all the other subject areas had
          a few
          applicants here and there- but the art area had at least 70 people,
          most of whom were in their 20's mind you- I'm in my 50's. I guess it
          depends on the district-
          but many are looking for those on beginning salary steps.......
          It's tough, but I've always made my living in art- first as a Graphic
          Designer, and then as an art teacher for the past 12 years.
          I love it though and am grateful to be working, but the art market
          has always been very competitive. Keep on tyring
          and you'll make it.

          Donna

          On Friday, May 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

          > > Hi Jeannette,
          >
          > I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but
          > is my one stop
          > clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and
          > there is a map
          > showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links.
          > I found my current
          > position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the
          > certification to teach there is
          > streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in
          > northern NY took months,
          > 3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in
          > Florida and it took
          > about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives
          > you the low down on
          > areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.
          >
          > As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the
          > district has their hire
          > before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and
          > resume for grammarical
          > errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!)
          > and add a cd with student
          > work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for
          > calls for art will get
          > your foot in the door. Good luck ALi

        • julie t.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5 7:17 AM
            there's a job opening in my district at the continuation high school...a tougher assignment, but i think they get out around 1 pm with very small classes.  my district has competitive salaries and takes all years of credit (rare!)

            if you're thinking about sunny so calif, see http://www.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/811381017172137/lib/811381017172137/_files/ART_TEACHER.pdf

            :-) julie t.

            ‹(•¿•)›

          • julie t.
            Message 5 of 12 , May 5 7:55 AM
              oops!  there are two art positions open...one at the continuation hs and one at a comprehensive hs.  the district hs art teachers meet once a month and are a great group :-) julie t.

              ‹(•¿•)›