Re: [art_education] Need help from colleagues-

  • Terri Noell
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      If you want to come to Northwest Florida you are welcome to keep an eye on
      our district's website for upcoming openings.... escambia.k12.fl.us I know
      we are adding 3 new positions for the next school year and there are usually
      a couple of other openings...
      Terri
      K-5 Florida

      >From: "kayashkwa@..." <kayashkwa@...>
      >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [art_education] Need help from colleagues-
      >Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >Hi Jeannette,
      >
      > If you would like to relocate to New England, check out
      >www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for
      >NH and Massachusetts. There are openings at the moment for high school art
      >ed..........so good luck!
      > I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle
      >school art ed. I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be
      >discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially
      >when you truly love what you want to do.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Lynn
      >
      >Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
      > Hello fellow art teachers-
      >I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
      >obtaining employment thus far.
      >I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
      >diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
      >get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
      >did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
      >guess I dont have the patience for them.
      >I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
      >for charity fundraising.
      >I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
      >term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
      >some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
      >gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
      >I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
      >teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
      >about anywhere in the USA.
      >If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
      >school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
      >for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
      >Thank you for "listening".

      Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
    • loveylemmon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2007
        Jeanette,

        I totally understand your frustration, as I've gone through the same
        thing here in Canada... but because art is not valued where I live
        and anybody can teach it. It really sucks...

        I'd suggest looking into cities with very strong growth rates, like
        Vegas as an example. I've seen a lot of high school art jobs from
        there fairly recently. I think Pheonix is growing a lot, too. I've
        also seen senior high art jobs in Alaska.

        I've been so desperate I've been preparing to move overseas... -
        really!

        Finally, after 8 years, it looks like I have a senior high art job
        for next year. I had to be very firm with my district and make it
        very clear that I'm not going to be flexible and teach just anything
        anymore...

        Hang in there! I'm sure you can get a job you love for next year if
        you are willing to move.

        abby
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2007
          Hi Jeanette,

          There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job openings
          pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:

          http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html

          You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
          also search for positions on:

          http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html

          I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
          jobs in any state in the U.S.

          If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position anywhere
          in the world, submit your opening to:

          http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit

          Ken Rohrer
          Incredible Art Department

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...> wrote:

          > Hello fellow art teachers-
          > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
          > obtaining employment thus far.
          > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
          > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
          > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
          > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
          > guess I dont have the patience for them.
          > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
          > for charity fundraising.
          > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
          > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
          > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
          > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
          > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
          > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
          > about anywhere in the USA.
          > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
          > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
          > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
          > Thank you for "listening".

        • Jeanette
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2007

            > Hi Jeanette,
            >
            > There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job
            openings
            > pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:
            >
            > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html
            >
            > You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
            > also search for positions on:
            >
            > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html
            >
            > I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
            > jobs in any state in the U.S.
            >
            > If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position
            anywhere
            > in the world, submit your opening to:
            >
            > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit
            >
            > Ken Rohrer
            > Incredible Art Department
            >
            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@>
            wrote:

            > > Hello fellow art teachers-
            > > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
            > > obtaining employment thus far.
            > > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work
            quite
            > > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet
            > > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job,
            as I
            > > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much.
            > > guess I dont have the patience for them.
            > > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do
            art
            > > for charity fundraising.
            > > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
            > > term projects with the high school students, so they can really
            get
            > > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something
            that
            > > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
            > > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
            > > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating
            just
            > > about anywhere in the USA.
            > > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
            > > school or district and can send me information as to how to
            apply
            > > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
            > > Thank you for "listening".

            Hi its me again- just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
            Most of you tried to direct and assist me in my endeavors! I
            will "keep on keeping on" as they use to say in the 70's!
          • aliteachesart
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2007
              > Hi Jeannette,

              I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but is my one stop
              clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and there is a map
              showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links. I found my current
              position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the certification to teach there is
              streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in northern NY took months,
              3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in Florida and it took
              about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives you the low down on
              areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.

              As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the district has their hire
              before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and resume for grammarical
              errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!) and add a cd with student
              work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for calls for art will get
              your foot in the door. Good luck ALi
            • Lenny Sanz
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                I am replying to Jeannette and all those replying to her.
                I too have been looking for a job, I guess almost always.
                I work in an impoverished district in NY and the kids are very tough.
                I went to a district job fair recently- all the other subject areas had
                a few
                applicants here and there- but the art area had at least 70 people,
                most of whom were in their 20's mind you- I'm in my 50's. I guess it
                depends on the district-
                but many are looking for those on beginning salary steps.......
                It's tough, but I've always made my living in art- first as a Graphic
                Designer, and then as an art teacher for the past 12 years.
                I love it though and am grateful to be working, but the art market
                has always been very competitive. Keep on tyring
                and you'll make it.

                Donna

                On Friday, May 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

                > > Hi Jeannette,
                >
                > I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but
                > is my one stop
                > clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and
                > there is a map
                > showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links.
                > I found my current
                > position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the
                > certification to teach there is
                > streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in
                > northern NY took months,
                > 3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in
                > Florida and it took
                > about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives
                > you the low down on
                > areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.
                >
                > As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the
                > district has their hire
                > before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and
                > resume for grammarical
                > errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!)
                > and add a cd with student
                > work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for
                > calls for art will get
                > your foot in the door. Good luck ALi

              • julie t.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                  there's a job opening in my district at the continuation high school...a tougher assignment, but i think they get out around 1 pm with very small classes.  my district has competitive salaries and takes all years of credit (rare!)

                  if you're thinking about sunny so calif, see http://www.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/811381017172137/lib/811381017172137/_files/ART_TEACHER.pdf

                  :-) julie t.

                  ‹(•¿•)›

                • julie t.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                    oops!  there are two art positions open...one at the continuation hs and one at a comprehensive hs.  the district hs art teachers meet once a month and are a great group :-) julie t.

                    ‹(•¿•)›