Re: [art_education] Need help from colleagues-

  • kayashkwa@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      Hi Jeannette,

      If you would like to relocate to New England, check out www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for NH and Massachusetts.  There are openings at the moment for high school art ed..........so good luck!
      I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle school art ed.  I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially when you truly love what you want to do.

      Hope this helps,
      Lynn

      Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
      Hello fellow art teachers-
      I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
      obtaining employment thus far.
      I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
      diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
      get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
      did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
      guess I dont have the patience for them.
      I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
      for charity fundraising.
      I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
      term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
      some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
      gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
      I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
      teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
      about anywhere in the USA.
      If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
      school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
      for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
      Thank you for "listening".

    • James Cipalla
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        " I
        > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
        > guess I dont have the patience for them."

        Good luck my friend - but you will need patience anywhere you go - I'd wager even more so with the older students.

        Namaste,

        Jim Cipalla

        Art Teacher, Northside Middle School
        Norfolk,Virginia
        Vice President, TVAEA (Tidewater Virginia Art Educators Association)
        JCipalla@...

        Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
        = Amanda Beaudry = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello fellow art teachers-
        > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
        > obtaining employment thus far.
        > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
        > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
        > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
        > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
        > guess I dont have the patience for them.
        > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
        > for charity fundraising.
        > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
        > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
        > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
        > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
        > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
        > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
        > about anywhere in the USA.
        > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
        > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
        > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
        > Thank you for "listening".

        I suggest that first you get a service to check your references.
        There may be one of them stabbing yo in the back. This is very
        common in education and you can sue them if you find out that it is
        happening.

        Texas, Georgia, California, Illinois, South dakota, Missouri,
        Arizona, and a few other states have good centralized state wide
        listings that you can access or apply on line. Some of these are
        quite good. Florida has some counties with good systems, but no
        state wide system worth mentioning and most counties will demand
        elaborate applicaations before they tell you they have no openings or
        are so bureaucratic that they will blythely waste your time for no
        purpose. Clark County, Nevada seems to be hiring constantly.

        You can apply for my job, I'm getting out of the business for good,
        but it's all little kids.
      • Terri Noell
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          If you want to come to Northwest Florida you are welcome to keep an eye on
          our district's website for upcoming openings.... escambia.k12.fl.us I know
          we are adding 3 new positions for the next school year and there are usually
          a couple of other openings...
          Terri
          K-5 Florida

          >From: "kayashkwa@..." <kayashkwa@...>
          >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [art_education] Need help from colleagues-
          >Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Hi Jeannette,
          >
          > If you would like to relocate to New England, check out
          >www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for
          >NH and Massachusetts. There are openings at the moment for high school art
          >ed..........so good luck!
          > I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle
          >school art ed. I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be
          >discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially
          >when you truly love what you want to do.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Lynn
          >
          >Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
          > Hello fellow art teachers-
          >I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
          >obtaining employment thus far.
          >I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
          >diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
          >get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
          >did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
          >guess I dont have the patience for them.
          >I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
          >for charity fundraising.
          >I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
          >term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
          >some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
          >gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
          >I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
          >teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
          >about anywhere in the USA.
          >If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
          >school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
          >for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
          >Thank you for "listening".

          Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
        • loveylemmon
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2007
            Jeanette,

            I totally understand your frustration, as I've gone through the same
            thing here in Canada... but because art is not valued where I live
            and anybody can teach it. It really sucks...

            I'd suggest looking into cities with very strong growth rates, like
            Vegas as an example. I've seen a lot of high school art jobs from
            there fairly recently. I think Pheonix is growing a lot, too. I've
            also seen senior high art jobs in Alaska.

            I've been so desperate I've been preparing to move overseas... -
            really!

            Finally, after 8 years, it looks like I have a senior high art job
            for next year. I had to be very firm with my district and make it
            very clear that I'm not going to be flexible and teach just anything
            anymore...

            Hang in there! I'm sure you can get a job you love for next year if
            you are willing to move.

            abby
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2007
              Hi Jeanette,

              There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job openings
              pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:

              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html

              You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
              also search for positions on:

              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html

              I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
              jobs in any state in the U.S.

              If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position anywhere
              in the world, submit your opening to:

              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit

              Ken Rohrer
              Incredible Art Department

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...> wrote:

              > Hello fellow art teachers-
              > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
              > obtaining employment thus far.
              > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
              > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
              > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
              > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
              > guess I dont have the patience for them.
              > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
              > for charity fundraising.
              > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
              > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
              > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
              > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
              > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
              > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
              > about anywhere in the USA.
              > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
              > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
              > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
              > Thank you for "listening".

            • Jeanette
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2007

                > Hi Jeanette,
                >
                > There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job
                openings
                > pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:
                >
                > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html
                >
                > You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
                > also search for positions on:
                >
                > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html
                >
                > I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
                > jobs in any state in the U.S.
                >
                > If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position
                anywhere
                > in the world, submit your opening to:
                >
                > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit
                >
                > Ken Rohrer
                > Incredible Art Department
                >
                > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@>
                wrote:

                > > Hello fellow art teachers-
                > > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
                > > obtaining employment thus far.
                > > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work
                quite
                > > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet
                > > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job,
                as I
                > > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much.
                > > guess I dont have the patience for them.
                > > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do
                art
                > > for charity fundraising.
                > > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
                > > term projects with the high school students, so they can really
                get
                > > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something
                that
                > > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
                > > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
                > > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating
                just
                > > about anywhere in the USA.
                > > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
                > > school or district and can send me information as to how to
                apply
                > > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
                > > Thank you for "listening".

                Hi its me again- just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
                Most of you tried to direct and assist me in my endeavors! I
                will "keep on keeping on" as they use to say in the 70's!
              • aliteachesart
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                  > Hi Jeannette,

                  I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but is my one stop
                  clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and there is a map
                  showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links. I found my current
                  position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the certification to teach there is
                  streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in northern NY took months,
                  3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in Florida and it took
                  about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives you the low down on
                  areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.

                  As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the district has their hire
                  before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and resume for grammarical
                  errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!) and add a cd with student
                  work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for calls for art will get
                  your foot in the door. Good luck ALi
                • Lenny Sanz
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                    I am replying to Jeannette and all those replying to her.
                    I too have been looking for a job, I guess almost always.
                    I work in an impoverished district in NY and the kids are very tough.
                    I went to a district job fair recently- all the other subject areas had
                    a few
                    applicants here and there- but the art area had at least 70 people,
                    most of whom were in their 20's mind you- I'm in my 50's. I guess it
                    depends on the district-
                    but many are looking for those on beginning salary steps.......
                    It's tough, but I've always made my living in art- first as a Graphic
                    Designer, and then as an art teacher for the past 12 years.
                    I love it though and am grateful to be working, but the art market
                    has always been very competitive. Keep on tyring
                    and you'll make it.

                    Donna

                    On Friday, May 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

                    > > Hi Jeannette,
                    >
                    > I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but
                    > is my one stop
                    > clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and
                    > there is a map
                    > showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links.
                    > I found my current
                    > position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the
                    > certification to teach there is
                    > streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in
                    > northern NY took months,
                    > 3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in
                    > Florida and it took
                    > about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives
                    > you the low down on
                    > areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.
                    >
                    > As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the
                    > district has their hire
                    > before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and
                    > resume for grammarical
                    > errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!)
                    > and add a cd with student
                    > work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for
                    > calls for art will get
                    > your foot in the door. Good luck ALi

                  • julie t.
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                      there's a job opening in my district at the continuation high school...a tougher assignment, but i think they get out around 1 pm with very small classes.  my district has competitive salaries and takes all years of credit (rare!)

                      if you're thinking about sunny so calif, see http://www.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/811381017172137/lib/811381017172137/_files/ART_TEACHER.pdf

                      :-) julie t.

                      ‹(•¿•)›

                    • julie t.
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                        oops!  there are two art positions open...one at the continuation hs and one at a comprehensive hs.  the district hs art teachers meet once a month and are a great group :-) julie t.

                        ‹(•¿•)›