Re: Need help from colleagues-

  • henlaojim
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello fellow art teachers-
      > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
      > obtaining employment thus far.
      > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
      > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
      > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
      > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
      > guess I dont have the patience for them.
      > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
      > for charity fundraising.
      > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
      > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
      > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
      > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
      > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
      > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
      > about anywhere in the USA.
      > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
      > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
      > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
      > Thank you for "listening".

      I suggest that first you get a service to check your references.
      There may be one of them stabbing yo in the back. This is very
      common in education and you can sue them if you find out that it is
      happening.

      Texas, Georgia, California, Illinois, South dakota, Missouri,
      Arizona, and a few other states have good centralized state wide
      listings that you can access or apply on line. Some of these are
      quite good. Florida has some counties with good systems, but no
      state wide system worth mentioning and most counties will demand
      elaborate applicaations before they tell you they have no openings or
      are so bureaucratic that they will blythely waste your time for no
      purpose. Clark County, Nevada seems to be hiring constantly.

      You can apply for my job, I'm getting out of the business for good,
      but it's all little kids.
    • kayashkwa@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        Hi Jeannette,

        If you would like to relocate to New England, check out www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for NH and Massachusetts.  There are openings at the moment for high school art ed..........so good luck!
        I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle school art ed.  I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially when you truly love what you want to do.

        Hope this helps,
        Lynn

        Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
[...]

      • James Cipalla
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          " I
          > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
          > guess I dont have the patience for them."

          Good luck my friend - but you will need patience anywhere you go - I'd wager even more so with the older students.

          Namaste,

          Jim Cipalla

          Art Teacher, Northside Middle School
          Norfolk,Virginia
          Vice President, TVAEA (Tidewater Virginia Art Educators Association)
          JCipalla@...

          Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
          = Amanda Beaudry = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

          wrote:

          > Hello fellow art teachers-
          > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
          > obtaining employment thus far.
          > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
          > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
          > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
          > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
          > guess I dont have the patience for them.
          > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
          > for charity fundraising.
          > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
          > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
          > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
          > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
          > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
          > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
          > about anywhere in the USA.
          > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
          > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
          > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
          > Thank you for "listening".

          I suggest that first you get a service to check your references.
          There may be one of them stabbing yo in the back. This is very
          common in education and you can sue them if you find out that it is
          happening.

          Texas, Georgia, California, Illinois, South dakota, Missouri,
          Arizona, and a few other states have good centralized state wide
          listings that you can access or apply on line. Some of these are
          quite good. Florida has some counties with good systems, but no
          state wide system worth mentioning and most counties will demand
          elaborate applicaations before they tell you they have no openings or
          are so bureaucratic that they will blythely waste your time for no
          purpose. Clark County, Nevada seems to be hiring constantly.

          You can apply for my job, I'm getting out of the business for good,
          but it's all little kids.
        • Terri Noell
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2007
            If you want to come to Northwest Florida you are welcome to keep an eye on
            our district's website for upcoming openings.... escambia.k12.fl.us I know
            we are adding 3 new positions for the next school year and there are usually
            a couple of other openings...
            Terri
            K-5 Florida

            >From: "kayashkwa@..." <kayashkwa@...>
            >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [art_education] Need help from colleagues-
            >Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >Hi Jeannette,
            >
            > If you would like to relocate to New England, check out
            >www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for
            >NH and Massachusetts. There are openings at the moment for high school art
            >ed..........so good luck!
            > I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle
            >school art ed. I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be
            >discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially
            >when you truly love what you want to do.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            > Lynn
            >
            >Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
            > Hello fellow art teachers-
            >I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
            >obtaining employment thus far.
            >I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
            >diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
            >get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
            >did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
            >guess I dont have the patience for them.
            >I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
            >for charity fundraising.
            >I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
            >term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
            >some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
            >gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
            >I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
            >teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
            >about anywhere in the USA.
            >If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
            >school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
            >for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
            >Thank you for "listening".

            Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
          • loveylemmon
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2007
              Jeanette,

              I totally understand your frustration, as I've gone through the same
              thing here in Canada... but because art is not valued where I live
              and anybody can teach it. It really sucks...

              I'd suggest looking into cities with very strong growth rates, like
              Vegas as an example. I've seen a lot of high school art jobs from
              there fairly recently. I think Pheonix is growing a lot, too. I've
              also seen senior high art jobs in Alaska.

              I've been so desperate I've been preparing to move overseas... -
              really!

              Finally, after 8 years, it looks like I have a senior high art job
              for next year. I had to be very firm with my district and make it
              very clear that I'm not going to be flexible and teach just anything
              anymore...

              Hang in there! I'm sure you can get a job you love for next year if
              you are willing to move.

              abby
            • Ken
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                Hi Jeanette,

                There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job openings
                pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:

                http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html

                You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
                also search for positions on:

                http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html

                I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
                jobs in any state in the U.S.

                If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position anywhere
                in the world, submit your opening to:

                http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit

                Ken Rohrer
                Incredible Art Department

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...> wrote:

                > Hello fellow art teachers-
                > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
                > obtaining employment thus far.
                > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
                > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
                > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
                > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
                > guess I dont have the patience for them.
                > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
                > for charity fundraising.
                > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
                > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
                > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
                > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
                > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
                > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
                > about anywhere in the USA.
                > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
                > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
                > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
                > Thank you for "listening".

              • Jeanette
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2007

                  > Hi Jeanette,
                  >
                  > There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job
                  openings
                  > pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:
                  >
                  > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html
                  >
                  > You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
                  > also search for positions on:
                  >
                  > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html
                  >
                  > I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
                  > jobs in any state in the U.S.
                  >
                  > If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position
                  anywhere
                  > in the world, submit your opening to:
                  >
                  > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit
                  >
                  > Ken Rohrer
                  > Incredible Art Department
                  >
                  > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@>
                  wrote:

                  > > Hello fellow art teachers-
                  > > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
                  > > obtaining employment thus far.
                  > > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work
                  quite
                  > > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet
                  > > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job,
                  as I
                  > > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much.
                  > > guess I dont have the patience for them.
                  > > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do
                  art
                  > > for charity fundraising.
                  > > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
                  > > term projects with the high school students, so they can really
                  get
                  > > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something
                  that
                  > > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
                  > > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
                  > > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating
                  just
                  > > about anywhere in the USA.
                  > > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
                  > > school or district and can send me information as to how to
                  apply
                  > > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
                  > > Thank you for "listening".

                  Hi its me again- just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
                  Most of you tried to direct and assist me in my endeavors! I
                  will "keep on keeping on" as they use to say in the 70's!
                • aliteachesart
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                    > Hi Jeannette,

                    I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but is my one stop
                    clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and there is a map
                    showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links. I found my current
                    position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the certification to teach there is
                    streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in northern NY took months,
                    3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in Florida and it took
                    about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives you the low down on
                    areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.

                    As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the district has their hire
                    before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and resume for grammarical
                    errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!) and add a cd with student
                    work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for calls for art will get
                    your foot in the door. Good luck ALi
                  • Lenny Sanz
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                      I am replying to Jeannette and all those replying to her.
                      I too have been looking for a job, I guess almost always.
                      I work in an impoverished district in NY and the kids are very tough.
                      I went to a district job fair recently- all the other subject areas had
                      a few
                      applicants here and there- but the art area had at least 70 people,
                      most of whom were in their 20's mind you- I'm in my 50's. I guess it
                      depends on the district-
                      but many are looking for those on beginning salary steps.......
                      It's tough, but I've always made my living in art- first as a Graphic
                      Designer, and then as an art teacher for the past 12 years.
                      I love it though and am grateful to be working, but the art market
                      has always been very competitive. Keep on tyring
                      and you'll make it.

                      Donna

                      On Friday, May 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

                      > > Hi Jeannette,
                      >
                      > I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but
                      > is my one stop
                      > clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and
                      > there is a map
                      > showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links.
                      > I found my current
                      > position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the
                      > certification to teach there is
                      > streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in
                      > northern NY took months,
                      > 3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in
                      > Florida and it took
                      > about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives
                      > you the low down on
                      > areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.
                      >
                      > As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the
                      > district has their hire
                      > before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and
                      > resume for grammarical
                      > errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!)
                      > and add a cd with student
                      > work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for
                      > calls for art will get
                      > your foot in the door. Good luck ALi

                    • julie t.
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                        there's a job opening in my district at the continuation high school...a tougher assignment, but i think they get out around 1 pm with very small classes.  my district has competitive salaries and takes all years of credit (rare!)

                        if you're thinking about sunny so calif, see http://www.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/811381017172137/lib/811381017172137/_files/ART_TEACHER.pdf

                        :-) julie t.

                        ‹(•¿•)›

                      • julie t.
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                          oops!  there are two art positions open...one at the continuation hs and one at a comprehensive hs.  the district hs art teachers meet once a month and are a great group :-) julie t.

                          ‹(•¿•)›