Need help from colleagues-

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2007
      Hello fellow art teachers-
      I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
      obtaining employment thus far.
      I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
      diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
      get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
      did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
      guess I dont have the patience for them.
      I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
      for charity fundraising.
      I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
      term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
      some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
      gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
      I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
      teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
      about anywhere in the USA.
      If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
      school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
      for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
      Thank you for "listening".
    • henlaojim
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello fellow art teachers-
        > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
        > obtaining employment thus far.
        > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
        > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
        > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
        > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
        > guess I dont have the patience for them.
        > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
        > for charity fundraising.
        > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
        > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
        > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
        > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
        > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
        > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
        > about anywhere in the USA.
        > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
        > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
        > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
        > Thank you for "listening".

        I suggest that first you get a service to check your references.
        There may be one of them stabbing yo in the back. This is very
        common in education and you can sue them if you find out that it is
        happening.

        Texas, Georgia, California, Illinois, South dakota, Missouri,
        Arizona, and a few other states have good centralized state wide
        listings that you can access or apply on line. Some of these are
        quite good. Florida has some counties with good systems, but no
        state wide system worth mentioning and most counties will demand
        elaborate applicaations before they tell you they have no openings or
        are so bureaucratic that they will blythely waste your time for no
        purpose. Clark County, Nevada seems to be hiring constantly.

        You can apply for my job, I'm getting out of the business for good,
        but it's all little kids.
      • kayashkwa@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          Hi Jeannette,

          If you would like to relocate to New England, check out www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for NH and Massachusetts.  There are openings at the moment for high school art ed..........so good luck!
          I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle school art ed.  I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially when you truly love what you want to do.

          Hope this helps,
          Lynn

          Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
[...]

        • James Cipalla
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2007
            " I
            > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
            > guess I dont have the patience for them."

            Good luck my friend - but you will need patience anywhere you go - I'd wager even more so with the older students.

            Namaste,

            Jim Cipalla

            Art Teacher, Northside Middle School
            Norfolk,Virginia
            Vice President, TVAEA (Tidewater Virginia Art Educators Association)
            JCipalla@...

            Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
            = Amanda Beaudry = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

            wrote:

            > Hello fellow art teachers-
            > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
            > obtaining employment thus far.
            > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
            > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
            > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
            > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
            > guess I dont have the patience for them.
            > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
            > for charity fundraising.
            > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
            > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
            > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
            > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
            > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
            > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
            > about anywhere in the USA.
            > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
            > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
            > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
            > Thank you for "listening".

            I suggest that first you get a service to check your references.
            There may be one of them stabbing yo in the back. This is very
            common in education and you can sue them if you find out that it is
            happening.

            Texas, Georgia, California, Illinois, South dakota, Missouri,
            Arizona, and a few other states have good centralized state wide
            listings that you can access or apply on line. Some of these are
            quite good. Florida has some counties with good systems, but no
            state wide system worth mentioning and most counties will demand
            elaborate applicaations before they tell you they have no openings or
            are so bureaucratic that they will blythely waste your time for no
            purpose. Clark County, Nevada seems to be hiring constantly.

            You can apply for my job, I'm getting out of the business for good,
            but it's all little kids.
          • Terri Noell
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2007
              If you want to come to Northwest Florida you are welcome to keep an eye on
              our district's website for upcoming openings.... escambia.k12.fl.us I know
              we are adding 3 new positions for the next school year and there are usually
              a couple of other openings...
              Terri
              K-5 Florida

              >From: "kayashkwa@..." <kayashkwa@...>
              >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [art_education] Need help from colleagues-
              >Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Hi Jeannette,
              >
              > If you would like to relocate to New England, check out
              >www.schoolspring.com which has job openings for Vermont as well as some for
              >NH and Massachusetts. There are openings at the moment for high school art
              >ed..........so good luck!
              > I am in the same situation but looking for elementary and/or middle
              >school art ed. I'm finding it very difficult and trying hard not to be
              >discouraged for someone trying to begin their career in teaching especially
              >when you truly love what you want to do.
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > Lynn
              >
              >Jeanette <jeanette_10@...> wrote:
              > Hello fellow art teachers-
              >I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
              >obtaining employment thus far.
              >I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
              >diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
              >get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
              >did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
              >guess I dont have the patience for them.
              >I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
              >for charity fundraising.
              >I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
              >term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
              >some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
              >gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
              >I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
              >teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
              >about anywhere in the USA.
              >If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
              >school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
              >for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
              >Thank you for "listening".

              Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
            • loveylemmon
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                Jeanette,

                I totally understand your frustration, as I've gone through the same
                thing here in Canada... but because art is not valued where I live
                and anybody can teach it. It really sucks...

                I'd suggest looking into cities with very strong growth rates, like
                Vegas as an example. I've seen a lot of high school art jobs from
                there fairly recently. I think Pheonix is growing a lot, too. I've
                also seen senior high art jobs in Alaska.

                I've been so desperate I've been preparing to move overseas... -
                really!

                Finally, after 8 years, it looks like I have a senior high art job
                for next year. I had to be very firm with my district and make it
                very clear that I'm not going to be flexible and teach just anything
                anymore...

                Hang in there! I'm sure you can get a job you love for next year if
                you are willing to move.

                abby
              • Ken
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                  Hi Jeanette,

                  There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job openings
                  pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:

                  http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html

                  You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
                  also search for positions on:

                  http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html

                  I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
                  jobs in any state in the U.S.

                  If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position anywhere
                  in the world, submit your opening to:

                  http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit

                  Ken Rohrer
                  Incredible Art Department

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@...> wrote:

                  > Hello fellow art teachers-
                  > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
                  > obtaining employment thus far.
                  > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work quite
                  > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet to
                  > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job, as I
                  > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much. I
                  > guess I dont have the patience for them.
                  > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do art
                  > for charity fundraising.
                  > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
                  > term projects with the high school students, so they can really get
                  > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something that
                  > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
                  > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
                  > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating just
                  > about anywhere in the USA.
                  > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
                  > school or district and can send me information as to how to apply
                  > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
                  > Thank you for "listening".

                • Jeanette
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2007

                    > Hi Jeanette,
                    >
                    > There are others out there like you. Have you visited the job
                    openings
                    > pages on IAD? You can see posts that people have submitted on:
                    >
                    > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html
                    >
                    > You will notice that there are several near you in Indiana. You can
                    > also search for positions on:
                    >
                    > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/careers.html
                    >
                    > I just updated this page so that people can search for art teacher
                    > jobs in any state in the U.S.
                    >
                    > If there is anyone on this list who knows of an art position
                    anywhere
                    > in the world, submit your opening to:
                    >
                    > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/openings.html#submit
                    >
                    > Ken Rohrer
                    > Incredible Art Department
                    >
                    > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <jeanette_10@>
                    wrote:

                    > > Hello fellow art teachers-
                    > > I need your assist. I have been unfortunate in my endeavors of
                    > > obtaining employment thus far.
                    > > I have my BA in art ed, certified k-12. I have seeking work
                    quite
                    > > diligently for the past 3 1/2 yrs since graduation and have yet
                    > > get any offers. I been looking for a High school teaching job,
                    as I
                    > > did teach the small kids in an art camp and didnt like it much.
                    > > guess I dont have the patience for them.
                    > > I am also a professional artist, have had several shows and do
                    art
                    > > for charity fundraising.
                    > > I am more of a "studio art teacher" and love the thought of long
                    > > term projects with the high school students, so they can really
                    get
                    > > some nice artwork for their portfolios, instead of something
                    that
                    > > gets shelved, hidden in closets or worse yet thrown out.
                    > > I currently live in Michigan and there are so many other art
                    > > teachers competing for very few jobs. I am open to relocating
                    just
                    > > about anywhere in the USA.
                    > > If you know of any openings for high school art, be in in your
                    > > school or district and can send me information as to how to
                    apply
                    > > for these jobs, I would appreciate it.
                    > > Thank you for "listening".

                    Hi its me again- just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
                    Most of you tried to direct and assist me in my endeavors! I
                    will "keep on keeping on" as they use to say in the 70's!
                  • aliteachesart
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                      > Hi Jeannette,

                      I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but is my one stop
                      clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and there is a map
                      showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links. I found my current
                      position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the certification to teach there is
                      streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in northern NY took months,
                      3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in Florida and it took
                      about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives you the low down on
                      areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.

                      As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the district has their hire
                      before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and resume for grammarical
                      errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!) and add a cd with student
                      work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for calls for art will get
                      your foot in the door. Good luck ALi
                    • Lenny Sanz
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                        I am replying to Jeannette and all those replying to her.
                        I too have been looking for a job, I guess almost always.
                        I work in an impoverished district in NY and the kids are very tough.
                        I went to a district job fair recently- all the other subject areas had
                        a few
                        applicants here and there- but the art area had at least 70 people,
                        most of whom were in their 20's mind you- I'm in my 50's. I guess it
                        depends on the district-
                        but many are looking for those on beginning salary steps.......
                        It's tough, but I've always made my living in art- first as a Graphic
                        Designer, and then as an art teacher for the past 12 years.
                        I love it though and am grateful to be working, but the art market
                        has always been very competitive. Keep on tyring
                        and you'll make it.

                        Donna

                        On Friday, May 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

                        > > Hi Jeannette,
                        >
                        > I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but
                        > is my one stop
                        > clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and
                        > there is a map
                        > showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links.
                        > I found my current
                        > position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the
                        > certification to teach there is
                        > streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in
                        > northern NY took months,
                        > 3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in
                        > Florida and it took
                        > about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives
                        > you the low down on
                        > areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.
                        >
                        > As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the
                        > district has their hire
                        > before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and
                        > resume for grammarical
                        > errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!)
                        > and add a cd with student
                        > work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for
                        > calls for art will get
                        > your foot in the door. Good luck ALi

                      • julie t.
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                          there's a job opening in my district at the continuation high school...a tougher assignment, but i think they get out around 1 pm with very small classes.  my district has competitive salaries and takes all years of credit (rare!)

                          if you're thinking about sunny so calif, see http://www.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/811381017172137/lib/811381017172137/_files/ART_TEACHER.pdf

                          :-) julie t.

                          ‹(•¿•)›

                        • julie t.
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 5, 2007
                            oops!  there are two art positions open...one at the continuation hs and one at a comprehensive hs.  the district hs art teachers meet once a month and are a great group :-) julie t.

                            ‹(•¿•)›