Special Needs Children in the Art Room

  • familyerickson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      I received this on another list serve and thought it was worthwhile posting especially in view of the rapid increase in autism which will mean we will have more and more children with autism in our classrooms.
      Cindy

      10 Things to Know about Autism
      1) Autism Is a 'Spectrum' Disorder
      People with autism can be a little autistic or very autistic. Thus, it is
      possible to be bright, verbal, and autistic as well as mentally retarded,
      non-verbal and autistic. A disorder that includes such a broad range of symptoms
      is often called a spectrum disorder; hence the term "autism spectrum
      disorder." The most significant shared symptom is difficulty with social communication
      (eye contact, conversation, taking another's perspective, etc.).

      2) Asperger Syndrome is a High Functioning Form of Autism
      Asperger Syndrome (AS) is considered to be a part of the autism spectrum.
      The only significant difference between AS and High Functioning Autism is that
      people with AS usually develop speech right on time while people with autism
      usually have speech delays. People with AS are generally very bright and
      verbal, but have significant social deficits (which is why AS has earned the
      nickname "Geek Syndrome").

      3) People With Autism Are Different from One Another
      If you've seen Rainman or a TV show about autism, you may think you know
      what autism "looks like." In fact, though, when you've met one person with with
      autism you've met ONE person with autism. Some people with autism are chatty;
      others are silent. Many have sensory issues, gastrointestinal problems,
      sleep difficulties and other medical problems. Others may have
      social-communicatio n delays - and that's it.

      4) There Are Dozens of Treatments for Autism - But No 'Cure'
      So far as medical science is aware, there is at present no cure for autism.
      That's not to say that people with autism don't improve, because many improve
      radically. But even when people with autism increase their skills, they are
      still autistic, which means they think and perceive differently from most
      people. Children with autism may receive many types of treatments. Treatments
      may be biomedical, sensory, behavioral, developmental or even arts-based.
      Depending upon the child, certain treatments will be more successful than others.

      5) There Are Many Theories on the Cause of Autism, But No Consensus
      You may have seen or heard news stories about possible causes of autism.
      Theories range from mercury in infant vaccines to genetics to the age of the
      parents to almost everything else. At present, most researchers think autism is
      caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors - and it's quite
      possible that different people's symptoms have different causes.

      6) People Don't Grow Out of Autism
      Autism is a lifelong diagnosis. For some people, often (but not always)
      those who receive intensive early intervention, symptoms may decrease radically.
      People with autism can also learn coping skills to help them manage their
      difficulties and even build on their unique strengths. But a person with autism
      will probably be autistic throughout their lives.

      7) Families Coping with Autism Need Help and Support
      Even "high functioning" autism is challenging for parents. "Low functioning"
      autism can be overwhelming to the entire family. Families may be under a
      great deal of stress, and they need all the non-judgmental help they can get
      from friends, extended family, and service providers. Respite care (someone
      else taking care of the person with autism while other family members take a
      break) can be a marriage and/or family-saver!

      8) There's No 'Best School' for a Child with Autism
      You may have heard of a wonderful "autism school," or read of a child doing
      amazingly well in a particular type of classroom setting. While any given
      setting may be perfect for any given child, every child with autism has unique
      needs. Even in an ideal world, "including" a child with autism in a typical
      class may not be the best choice. Decisions about autistic education are
      generally made by a team made up of parents, teachers, administrators and
      therapists who know the child well.

      9) There Are Many Unfounded Myths About Autism
      The media is full of stories about autism, and many of those stories are
      less than accurate. For example, you may have heard that people with autism are
      cold and unfeeling, or that people with autism never marry or hold productive
      jobs. Since every person with autism is different, however, such "always"
      and "never" statements simply don't hold water. To understand a person with
      autism, it's a good idea to spend some time getting to know him or her -
      personally!

      10) Autistic People Have Many Strengths and Abilities
      It may seem that autism is a wholly negative diagnosis. But almost everyone
      on the autism spectrum has a great to deal to offer the world. People with
      autism are among the most forthright, non-judgmental, passionate people you'll
      ever meet. They are also ideal candidates for many types of careers.
    • island
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2007
        'Reaching the Child with Autism through Art' by Toni Flowers is a
        great resource.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "familyerickson"
        <familyerickson@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > productive
        > jobs. Since every person with autism is different, however,
        such "always"
        > and "never" statements simply don't hold water. To understand a
        person with
        > autism, it's a good idea to spend some time getting to know him or
        her -
        > personally!
        >
        > 10) Autistic People Have Many Strengths and Abilities
        > It may seem that autism is a wholly negative diagnosis. But almost
        everyone
        > on the autism spectrum has a great to deal to offer the world.
        People with
        > autism are among the most forthright, non-judgmental, passionate
        people
        > you'll
        > ever meet. They are also ideal candidates for many types of careers.

        5/1/2007 2:57