re: how to response?

  • reggiostudio
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28 3:51 PM
      I am an artist, this is my second year of teaching art in elementary.
      How do I response when a kindergarten said: stop copying me and then
      destroy his artwork.
      thanks,
      maggie-art studio for kids
    • katday2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29 6:43 AM
        You could explain that all artists get their ideas from somewhere, and
        very often, that somewhere is other artwork. You could follow this up
        with showing several versions of a famous piece, such as the Mona
        Lisa. However, having taught Kinders myself, this may be too much
        information if your student is reacting emotionally rather than from a
        true fear of being copied. Can you put this child in a special place
        where his art cannot be copied? This may open up a can of worms, with
        several students demanding their own special place, but it's one idea.
        Another idea is to give an assignment where everyone has to choose a
        different subject-- a family pet, their own house, etc. or move
        seats, as there may be an ongoing rivalry between the two. Good luck!
        Kathleen
        Missouri

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "reggiostudio"
        <reggiostudio@...> wrote:

        > I am an artist, this is my second year of teaching art in elementary.
        > How do I response when a kindergarten said: stop copying me and then
        > destroy his artwork.
        > thanks,
        > maggie-art studio for kids

      • MaryAnn F. Kohl
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29 8:02 AM
          Re: [art_education] Re: how to respond? KINDERS REACTING TO COPYING:
          I think it’s more about teaching him how to respond, as he is of course free to feel this way about his unique art work. Give him some “tools for responding and reacting”, some words to say when he has this issue again, or a place he can go to when he feels crowded. This is worth a class-group discussion, but just a light one. You don’t want to blow this out of proportion.

          I think kids have a gut-level feeling of the difference of when someone is copying their unique idea in entirety, and when someone is using their idea as inspiration for something different. There is a difference. Kids in kindergarten are pretty open about what is right and wrong, about fairness and justness. Not much room for crossing lines at this age.

          This young man may not be incorrect in his reaction to having his work copied, only how he presented it in the minor tantrum form. Then again, he IS in KINDERGARTEN, so this reaction is reasonably developmentally normal.

          My experience....
          MaryAnn

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , "reggiostudio"