Help wth grant

  • Marianne Galyk
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2007
      Hello!
      I am attempting to write a grant to a local company. One of the areas of focus (the only one I think I can fit into)  is "Education: Literacy - programs that enhance the reading skills of children and adults." When I was an elementary teacher this same company gave me over $800 for purchase of children's books for that purpose. It was wonderful! And then I was transferred to the high school.

      The art textbooks in my room are from 1981 (and are B&W). I am "on the list" for purchase of new books - probably 5 or more years down the road. Of course the core areas are above me on the list and "the list" will undoubtedly change before they get to me. And of course I am included in the same year with foreign languages, health, etc. In other words, I see little or no hope of ever getting textbooks. I would be satisfied with a classroom set of texts. I really like The Visual Experience by Davis.

      Can anyone help me out with ideas for writing the grant to obtain a set of classroom texts and teacher resources to go along with them? Can you point me toward research / resources that promote content area reading on visual art topics? I want to include the the importance of visual literacy, but still need to stress the reading aspect as that is what the grant addresses.

      This is an easy grant to write, not lengthy at all, so I just need to be succinct and get my point across.

      Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Marianne in Ohio

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
    • eduk8r2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2007
        Are you aware of the recent Guggenheim research regarding the arts and literacy? Let me know, if you are not.  I can give you the web site and some information about articles that will be very relevant to what you are doing.
        Diane Garmire
        Art Educator

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • mgalyk
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2007
          Diane,
          I am not familiar with this research. Sounds like it could be very
          helpful. Please post the site and other information when you have time!
          Thanks so much,
          Marianne

        • eduk8r2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2007
            I found this article last summer.  It was in the New York Times in July:
             Guggenheim Museum Announces Findings of Study Evaluating Impact of Arts Education on Literacy
            Results suggest arts education increases fundamental literacy skills in elementary school students...
            The Guggenheim's program Learning Through Art was created by a museum trustee in 1970 when New York schools were cutting art and music programs.  Since it began, it has involved more than 130,000 students  in dozens of public schools.  The museum dispatches artists who spend one day a week at schools over a 10 or 20 week period helping students and teachers learn about and make art.  Rebecca Shulman Herz is the Manager of LTA and was responsible for the supervision of the LTA's recent research
            For Press Information:
            Betsy Ennis
            Public Affairs
            Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
            Telephone : 212/423.3840
            To obtain a copy of the study, please contact:
            Rebecca Shulman Herz
            The first year research report can also be found at www.learningthroughart.org

            Good luck with that grant!
            Diane