Re: My Bad...

  • Molliy
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
      Wow-- I post art on Artsonia too. That's horrible. I veiwed your dogs
      and they adorable!! Your students did a fanastic job!

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "tricia_fuglestad"
      <tricia_fuglestad@...> wrote:

      > I'm so bummed about what just happened.
      > I had my 2nd graders make these awesome abstract dogs in the style
      of Daniel Kessler, a
      > living artist from Washington DC. I told my students I would email
      him after I uploaded their
      > artwork to our online gallery on Artsonia and send him a link so
      that he could admire their
      > attempt to imitate his work. I thought he would be flattered.
      Instead, he had his lawyer
      > contact Artsonia and delete the whole gallery claiming it was a
      copyright infringement.
      > What? Artsonia makes money on parents buying items with student
      artwork on it. But a large
      > number of pieces of art teachers have students make is based on
      famous art. Should all that
      > be deleted too?
      > What I think it all amounts to is bad news for my poor 2nd graders
      who had an art teacher
      > who thought she had a good idea in contacting the artist.
      Bummmmmmer.

      > And besides, my students' artwork would have only made people more
      curious about Daniel
      > Kessler and more likely to buy his work.
      >
      > I put some of these abstract dogs on my school website if you want
      to see what I'm talking
      > about: http://siteFwd.com/T2P

    • Molliy
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
        I agree-- if I could have found an email address just know on the
        site, I would have. That makes me mad-- I would love have kids learn
        about my art and that publicity. Now he will only be remembered for
        what his actions are. I plan to spread the word.
        Marianna

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@...>
        wrote:

        > Man, we should all email this guy........
        >
        > Talk about free PR?!
        >
        > Some people need to relax.
        >
        > Good luck with your 2nd grader. That ought to be
        > interesting to explain.
        >
        > Shelly

      • mgalyk
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
          At his offical site where you can order prints, I found
          kesslerart@...
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Molliy" <MAKEART96@...> wrote:

          > I agree-- if I could have found an email address just know on the
          > site, I would have. That makes me mad-- I would love have kids
          learn
          > about my art and that publicity. Now he will only be remembered for
          > what his actions are. I plan to spread the word.
          > Marianna
          >

          > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Man, we should all email this guy........
          > >
          > > Talk about free PR?!
          > >
          > > Some people need to relax.
          > >
          > > Good luck with your 2nd grader. That ought to be
          > > interesting to explain.
          > >
          > > Shelly

        • Dean & Cathy Frederickson
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
            Message
            I  think the dogs are precious!! As far as the reaction from Daniel Kessler you should feel sorry for him because that the reaction of a deeply insecure person. You keep on inspiring the future artists just like you are!!
            Cathy in SD

[...]

          • Ken Rohrer
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
              I just visited his site. His pet pictures are pretty
              elementary so maybe he thought your students were too
              close to his own work, LOL. For those who want to
              visit his site, it's at:

              http://www.kesslerart.com/

              His e-mail is kesslerart@... for those who
              want to "thank" him for having his lawyer contact
              Tricia. ;-)

              Ken

              ------------------------------------

              My Bad...
              Posted by: "tricia_fuglestad"
              tricia_fuglestad@... tricia_fuglestad
              Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:40 pm (PST)
[...]

            • Sandra
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 7, 2007
                Yes, the kids' pictures are very close to his. Maybe a better lesson
                for the kids would be to look at SEVERAL artists who do animal
                depictions, and have them compare and contrast them. After making
                their own discoveries, have them find ways to make their own ORIGINAL
                works. That way they'd get the best of Kessler's world and also
                create
                their own new world! I am going to do this with some of my own
                kids. I think it would be applicable to any elementary grade.

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Ken Rohrer <kenroar@...> wrote:

                > I just visited his site. His pet pictures are pretty
                > elementary so maybe he thought your students were too
                > close to his own work, LOL. For those who want to
                > visit his site, it's at:
                >
                > http://www.kesslerart.com/
                >
                > His e-mail is kesslerart@... for those who
                > want to "thank" him for having his lawyer contact
                > Tricia. ;-)
                >
                > Ken
                >
                > ------------------------------------

              • Harold Olejarz
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 7, 2007
                  WOW!!!

                  2nd graders exploiting the work of an adult artist for their own financial gain.

                  Daniel Kessler's work should not be shown to art students anywhere.
                  This is the only way to prevent them from stealing Kessler's brillant
                  ideas and extraordinary technique.

                  Can you imagine what might have happened if middle school or high
                  school students saw his work.

                  ;-)

                  --
                  Harold

                  Harold Olejarz
                  Art/Tech Teacher
                  Technology Coordinator
                  Wyckoff, NJ
                  Google Certified Teacher
                  Personal Website - www.digitalharold.com
                  School Website -
                  http://www.wyckoffschools.org/eisenhower/teachers/olejarz/index.html
                • Renah Bell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 8, 2007
                    Hi, Y'all,
                    In a college art class I was assigned (with my classmates) to select an painting and duplicate according to color, brush stroke and feeling. It was one of the best lssons I ever had because I learned to solve art problems that the great artist had seen and resolved. I always say that the scariest thing is that blank white paper or canvas. I learned so much from the efforts of the artist I copied. No I wouldn't think of selling or displaying it. It was just a practice. But it was a great learning experience. It would be a shame not to allow art students to learn from the masters by trying to solve the problems they solved.

                    Just an opinion.

                    Renah Bell

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 8, 2007
                       The way the laws are now - anyone can claim copyright infringement and the work has to be taken down right away - the burden of INNOCENCE is placed on the accused.

                      Not saying one way or another that you were right or wrong, just that the law is wonky.

                      -Kristi
                    • Jennifer Spence
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007
                        Sounds like an asshole.
                        He obviously is not connected to the art education world.
                        In addition, does he have a copyright on his right to make them?
                        Was there something on the site that said that these were in the style of his work?
                        Maybe your students should wirte email to him, telling him that they were so excited to learn about his work, that they so loved the project, until they found out what a jerk he was.

                        Blek.  I don't even want to know who the guy is now.  Jerk.

                        Very opinionatedly yours,
                        Jen
                        NYC

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007
                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Spence"
                          <jen.spence@...> wrote:

                          > Sounds like an asshole.

                          Yes, quite.

                          > In addition, does he have a copyright on his right to make them?

                          Probably he does, but it hardly the point.

                          One of the assumptions in art education is that the artworks of the
                          past and present are somehow of importance to the individual and that
                          this is worth studying and learning from in order to make students'
                          lives better. If it is strictly a matter of property rights then, I
                          would argue, it is irrelevant to the intellectual and artistic
                          development of the student and, therefore, not proper subject matter
                          in art education.

                          There is something basicly communal about the traditionl notion of
                          the fine arts as part of culture. This is, of course, contrary to
                          notions that dominate copitalist culture in which ownership is
                          assumed for everything and everyone is supposed to be subject to
                          private interest.

                          > Was there something on the site that said that these were in the
                          style of his work?

                          She wrote him and told him that he should look at it because they
                          werre in his style.

                          > Maybe your students should wirte email to him, telling him that
                          they were so excited to learn about his work, that they so loved the
                          project, until they found out what a jerk he was.

                          Better to take it as a lesson in economics and culture.
                        • Jennifer Spence
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007
                            Marianna - here is the information page on his site, complete with email address.
                            Just know, all of you will be able to read the email I just sent the disgusting man, which I also cc'd to my region Arts supervisor to pass around to the other art teachers in my region.

                            arrogant jerk.
                            Jen
                            NYC

                          • cricket5157@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007
                              Sorry everyone,
                              I tried to delete this post last night because I was afraid it may have sounded like I was venting and I hit the send button before I reread it. I was really just reflecting on my own philosophy and it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It is an issue that I have struggled with lately and it has to do with how I want design my own lessons. I have learned a great deal from reading posts from TAB-Teaching Artistic Behavior. I know a lot of teachers out there have their own way of doing things and it works for them. I was in no way passing judgment and if it sounded that way I do apologize.
                              Rebecca

                              See what's free at AOL.com.
                            • Catherine King
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007

                                What a shame that some people don’t have the sense to think past themselves. I would understand it if it were a working artist copying the style and turning it over for a profit, but these are STUDENTS who are emulating a style as a part of the learning process. What a shame that people are so selfish and thoughtless. If your students emulated my art, I would have been honored.

                                By the way, your students work turned out GREAT – I looked at your site

                                Just remember that Karma has a way of working things out ;-)

                                Catherine in New York

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007
                                  Truthfully,
                                  iif the exhibition is being put up online or off, it should be posted that something is "in the style of" and give full credit to the orignator, if not the exact piece of work( s) that's being studied.  Same as if one were writing a paper.  Otherwise that would be infringement.  Because of the laws.  If the source is correctly noted, than infringement cannot be claimed.  I looked up the site, and for each piece, the school receives 15% the cost, so that can count as a fundraiser.  Though, I am wondering if it's possible for the school to receive more.... because it would take a large quantity for the school to receive a decent amount....
                                  Jen
                                  NYC

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 9, 2007
                                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi Gilleland" <ebay@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > The way the laws are now - anyone can claim copyright infringement
                                    and the
                                    > work has to be taken down right away - the burden of INNOCENCE is
                                    placed on
                                    > the accused.
                                    >
                                    > Not saying one way or another that you were right or wrong, just
                                    that the
                                    > law is wonky.

                                    No, the law is designed to support the interests of corporations, who
                                    are, most commonly, the holders of copyright. The interests of
                                    students, who niether vote nor contribute to campaigns, are not
                                    considered to be of value. People who maintain web servers just
                                    don't want to be at the receiving end of a suit and are, therefore,
                                    likely to be deferential to claims of copyright holders who may or
                                    may not have the resources to press a suit.

                                    If they spent more time pressing suits they would look neater and
                                    have less time to sue people.