RE: [art_education] Re: ....informal survey: teaching "art on a cart"

  • Jeff Pridie
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3 3:17 PM
      Vickie,

      In many districts in Minnesota Elementary Art, PE,
      Music, Media time are all connected to Elementary
      teacher prep time. In our district elementary teachers
      have a 50 minute prep time so our class time for art
      is 50 minutes. I see each grade level once a week,
      three to four sections of a grade level. I teach
      Elementary Art in the mornings and High School art in
      the afternoon. Teachers bring their students to me.
      Teachers appreciate not having the art in their rooms
      (the mess of paint and clay).

      Jeff (Minnesota)
      --- vickolden@... wrote:

      > Hi!
      > I am trying to get my elementary art time changed
      > from 25 minutes to
      > at least 45 minutes or more...I would like to hear
      > from Elementary art
      > teachers on the length of time their classes are.
      > I have gotten a
      > few responses but i am looking for more proof that
      > 25 minutes is not
      > enough time for elementary art. Any more info?
      > Thanks,
      > Vickie in snowy Minnesota

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
    • Act Silly 4 Art
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 4 1:49 AM
        Vickie,
        I am in the opposite position from you..  I actually got my Kinder and 1st grade art time reduced from 45 minutes to 30 minutes.  I really didn't have anything to do with the change but I really like the 30 minutes.  I found it hard to stretch an art lesson (for Kinders) into 45 minutes without losing their attention after 20 minutes.  Part of my problem was and still is that art always follows lunch recess.  So, by the time my little ones come to me they really don't want Art they want a nap which the school did away with years ago.  Anyway, that is why my Art time was reduced and I, in turn, changed my Kinder and 1st Grade Program to Choice Based Art which gives my kids plenty of time to explore, discover, and learn about art.

        If my administrator would change Art from after Lunch Recess to after 1st Recess my arguement to support a 45 minute art lesson would be: that it takes at least 5 - 10 minutes of time to introduce the lesson to the students and another 10 -15 minutes to clean up when the lesson is done.  If you figure that in with the amount of time that the students actually have to do any work in art in a 30 minute class, they actually only have 5 minutes of art.  What can anyone do in 5 minutes?  45 minutes allows for the introduction, work and clean up time. And having the kids clean up is also an important aspect of art and social growth.

        Cat in Honolulu

        vickolden@... wrote:
        Hi!
        I am trying to get my elementary art time changed from 25 minutes to
        at least 45 minutes or more...I would like to hear from Elementary art
        teachers on the length of time their classes are. I have gotten a
        few responses but i am looking for more proof that 25 minutes is not
        enough time for elementary art. Any more info?
        Thanks,
        Vickie in snowy Minnesota

        Need Mail bonding?

      • Jennifer Spence
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 7 7:19 PM
          I will never, ever, complain about my cart program again.
          Ever.
          I'm so sorry you're dealing with that Robin.  That should be made illegal.  It's insane.
          best,
          Jen
          NYC

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 7 7:21 PM
            25 minutes????
            that's insane.

            In the NYC public school system, the lowest # min. a class can go is 43 minutes - that's basically a 45 minute period - we just have a rather crazy schedule & with travel time, that's what it goes to.

            Jen

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 7 7:24 PM
              Hi Harold,

              I just bought 10 dig cameras for my program.  Can you please tell me more about what you're doing & how?  I don¬ít' think I can use the computer lab, cuz the tech teachers at both my school and our sister school inhabit it 24/7.....
              Please feel free to email me off list.

              Many thanks,
              Jen
              NYC

              I teach digital photography on a cart. I roll into a computer lab with
              digital cameras and my file folders and teach.

              > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
              6 years

              > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
              No, I needed to teach in a computer lab.

              > 3. Other reason(s)?
              see above

              > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
              I teach grades 6, 7 & 8 every day

              > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
              > only 2-D; limited 3-D]

              digital imaging and digital photo projects only

              > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
              excellent

              > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
              just one dedicated digital photo cart

              > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
              4 to 6 classes a day, 30 days in each cycle.
              > 9. Prep time?

              45 mins a day

              Harold Olejarz
              Art/Tech Teacher