Re: [art_education] Phys Ed./Health + Art

  • Lenny Sanz
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
      Several years back on a nice spring day,
      the art students went outside with the PE students
      and did figure sketches of them playing ball.
      Then the PE's switched with the art students
      (being that they were all also art students),
      and did the same. There were some
      very nice results.

      Donna, NY

      On Monday, April 2, 2007, at 06:01 PM, sarah wrote:

      > Hey there everyone! I hope everyone is having a fun and creative
      > year! My name is Sarah and I'm a pre-service teacher from IN. I've
      > been a member of this group for a while, and I've learned so many
      > great things from previous posts. However, I've come up against a
      > block. I'm trying to find a way to integrate P.E./Health with Visual
      > Arts. Some kind of quick lesson or activity (high school level).
      > I've done some researching online, but I'm just having trouble putting
      > my finger on it. Anyone have any experience doing this before? I
      > appreciate any advice or links you can send my way. Thanks in
      > advance...

    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
        Sarah,

        You did not say what grade level with your request.
        For elementary I have students act out shapes and
        lines, using their bodies to represent shapes and
        lines as the move about. Students work with the PE
        and Health teacher and develop an exercise
        routine/movement that use lines and shapes as a theme.

        Older students do presentations dealing with
        health/fitness issues where I am called in to teach
        layout and presentation. The presentations are either
        posters, powerpoints etc. We talk about composition,
        use of color, size of images and text.

        Hope this helps.

        Jeff (Minnesota)

      • laursink@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
          Although I teach elementary, in the winter we go out as a group and sled (yes, we have a nice hill and have been doing this for years) and build snow sculptures. It is not very integrated but it is a nice way to combine classes. I am sure the HS kids would also love it!

          See what's free at AOL.com.
        • Eileen Ciavarella
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
            What a great idea! I am doing a unit on figure drawing and we are starting
            with gestures. I'm going to see if the gym class will let us sketch them.
            Thanks for the idea.

            Eileen
            Pequannock, NJ

            >From: Lenny Sanz <elfbab@...>
            >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [art_education] Phys Ed./Health + Art
            >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:56:52 -0400
            >
            >Several years back on a nice spring day,
            >the art students went outside with the PE students
            >and did figure sketches of them playing ball.
            >Then the PE's switched with the art students
            >(being that they were all also art students),
            >and did the same. There were some
            >very nice results.
            >
            >Donna, NY
            >

            >On Monday, April 2, 2007, at 06:01 PM, sarah wrote:
            >
            >>Hey there everyone! I hope everyone is having a fun and creative
            >>year! My name is Sarah and I'm a pre-service teacher from IN. I've
            >>been a member of this group for a while, and I've learned so many
            >>great things from previous posts. However, I've come up against a
            >>block. I'm trying to find a way to integrate P.E./Health with Visual
            >>Arts. Some kind of quick lesson or activity (high school level).
            >>I've done some researching online, but I'm just having trouble putting
            >>my finger on it. Anyone have any experience doing this before? I
            >>appreciate any advice or links you can send my way. Thanks in advance...

            $771/month*
          • createlikecrazy
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
              Hi Sarah! The Circus is a great way to integrate phys ed and visual arts. I worked with the
              Phys ed teachers at my school, they taught the kids to juggle and do a varitey of diffferent
              acts. We would juggle before we worked, a great way to get the brain cells working! We put
              on an entire circus! The Art Club painted beautiful large circus posters (4X6 feet). It was
              amazing. You should also check out the Ringling Brothers website, it may be called
              circusworks (???). I attended a workshop this winter in NYC put on on by Circus Works - it
              was great fun! Good Luck! Susan

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "sarah" <willow_starmoon@...> wrote:

              > Hey there everyone! I hope everyone is having a fun and creative
              > year! My name is Sarah and I'm a pre-service teacher from IN. I've
              > been a member of this group for a while, and I've learned so many
              > great things from previous posts. However, I've come up against a
              > block. I'm trying to find a way to integrate P.E./Health with Visual
              > Arts. Some kind of quick lesson or activity (high school level).
              > I've done some researching online, but I'm just having trouble putting
              > my finger on it. Anyone have any experience doing this before? I
              > appreciate any advice or links you can send my way. Thanks in advance...

            • Julie Casebourn
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
                My principal has given me the green light to order all new tables for my art room.  I teach k-6... so have teeny weenies up to large bodies sharing the space.  Here is some of the conditions I have in my head:
                If I can avoid having reinforcement bars under the tables (elementary kids kick them) that would be preferable.
                Something that cleans up easily; especially dried acrylic paint.
                A surface that doesn't scratch easily.
                A product that will last.
                Approximately $500 or less per table (is this wishful thinking?)

                Any suggestions on style, brand, catalog etc... would be MOST appreciated.
                thanks, Julie

                The fish are biting.
              • Mr. Icko Gonzalez
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                  You know, i've posted the same question before, BUT nobody really
                  answered...didn't fet a single reply.... =(

                  i suggest looking at catalogs online...that's what I did, but even
                  that didn't help cause they are SO expensive...

                  so....i'd still look around... MAYBE, what works best for you is best.
                  EVEN those regular foldable tables at cosco...

                  just a thought...

                  Mr. G
                • Hillmer, Jan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007

                    Hi Mr. G,

                    If there’s any way to get tables designed for a Science lab, go for it!  The surface of those tables is strong and not easily marred.  Also try to get tables that are very sturdy.  Almost all of the tables in my classroom are old and wobbly.

                    Jan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
                      Thanks Jan! I'll keep that in mind. =)

                      Mr. G

                      --
                      Icko Gonzalez ><>
                      (671) 632-FISH

                      "How great is the Love the Father has lavished on us, that we should
                      be called children of God! And that IS what we are!"...
                      - 1 John 1:3