Preschool lesson for Van Gogh's Room at Arles

  • Jennifer Freck
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 1:09 PM
      Hi everyone,
      I'm sharing this painting, Room at Arles by Van Gogh, with a group of
      preschoolers :) tomorrow. I have some ideas in mind, such as talking
      about line and cool colors...however do any of you have a lesson plan
      for this painting that I can gear towards this age group? Any art
      project ideas associated with this painting?

      Thanks for all of your help! We're developing an art appreciation
      program in our preschool that will get parents also interested in
      volunteering in the elementary schools' art docent programs -
      :) Jenna in Alameda, CA
    • MaryAnn F. Kohl
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 7:08 PM
        Re: [art_education] Preschool lesson for Van Gogh's  ROOM Preschool? Talk about their own rooms. Lots of brainstorming. Get ready.
        They will love talking about their own rooms. All this, and show them Van
        Gogh’s room == his painting. They can draw or paint their own rooms. Maybe
        they could use some black markers to outline important objects. Though they
        should not bother to copy Van Gogh’s work, they can look closely at his work
        as inspiration for their own work.

        Or, you can use very thick paints and they can apply paint like the
        “impasto” Van Gogh used (very thick tempera will do for preschool), or
        fingerpaints, and they can paint anything...use sticks or flat plastic
        knives to apply paint, or fingers.

        MaryAnn