....informal survey: teaching "art on a cart"

  • metalgirl54300
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
      As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules, I
      am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
      one time taught art on a cart.

      1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
      2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
      3. Other reason(s)?
      4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
      5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
      only 2-D; limited 3-D]

      6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
      7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
      8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
      9. Prep time?

      Thanks for your input!

      Lauri
    • metalgirl54300

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
            wow, how many of these do we need?

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
              I love this question and have been waiting to have someone bring this issue
              up....in fact I've been wanting to start a group...anyone interested? I lost
              my classroom back in Sept. and am living on a cart with not even a spot I
              can call my own.....

              >1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?7months++++
              >2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?They needed another
              >Kindergarten classroom & by the time they got it all together they really
              >didn't even need the extra class...but, of course the teacher was hired and
              >the classes had been broken up...
              >3. Other reason(s)?n/a
              >4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?some
              >days as many as 5 different grades and I have 4 different schedules during
              >the week ,with lunch being anywhere from 10am to 1pm...by the way the
              >lunchroom closes at 12:30 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or
              >media used? [i.e.
              >only 2-D; limited 3-D] yes,yes, yes...most teachers just want their
              >"break" and diffently don't want me bringing my "Art" mess into their
              >"world"
              >6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support? average
              >for special areas
              >7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes? an art
              >cart,a rolling tote and a huge picnic basket..
              >8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle? 30
              >9. Prep time? I try to get there before 7am with my 1st duty starting at
              >7:40 and I stay until atleast 4pm everyday
              Terri
              Florida

              Watch free concerts with Pink, Rod Stewart, Oasis and more. Visit MSN
              Presents today.
              http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline&ocid=T002MSN03A07001
            • Terri Noell
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
                to add to my former post...
                my classes are 40 minutes...down from 50 minutes before the cart...I have
                approx.15 prep time before my 1st class...(if I don't have to sit in for a
                teacher or staff or a hundred other things) and 15 minutes at the end of the
                day with the same stipulations...
                I also have an itinerant art teacher that comes in one day a week who takes
                6 classes off my class load.. he is such a blessings....he has all special
                needs classes and carries all his supplies in a tote bag(his choice)...our
                school is a special needs magnet school...we have a large hearing impaired
                number of students, 4 autistic classes, physically impaired students and
                many other special need students...60% of our students are in speech classes
                and 90% of our students are free or reduced lunches...it is a different
                world but, so wonderful; and the arts are more important for these students
                than other because it gives them another way of communicating,being creative
                and opening up new futures for them other than just in an academic world....
                Terri
                Florida K-5

                5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free
                quotes - *Terms
                https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910
              • createlikecrazy
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
                  Hi Lauri! I teach in central NJ, K- 5th grade.

                  1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                  This is my 6th YEAR (and hopefully LAST year on the cart). Each day I watch, with
                  excitement, the new addition being built!!! VERY EXCITING!!!

                  2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                  Yes, it is because of overcrowding. I will add that we are SO overcrowded that the only
                  people who have rooms are classroom teachers. Every inch of our school is being used
                  every hour of the day. Band & Stings are taught in the office, the conference room and the
                  cafeteria. Some Music classes are taugh on the stage -- with the GYM on the other side of
                  folding doors (YIKES) and at other times taugh from a cart. Special Ed is also in the office
                  & conference room and sometimes on a cart. Spanish as well, is on a cart. Small, sub-
                  standard rooms are being used as classrooms!!!

                  3. Other reason(s)?
                  none

                  4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                  No way! My school is K-5 and I teach every grade, every day!!! Really! : )

                  5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                  only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                  Yes, to some extent, I do limit the media! For paint... I use watercolors and/or the cake
                  tempera, no liquid tempera. I try not to draw to many "lines in the sand" -- but I have to
                  say I have not done any clay. It is just too much prep, storage and transportation!!! Plus,
                  since space is at a premium, the Kiln room is beign used for storage of other art supplies!
                  With all that said we do a ton of AWESOME projects!

                  6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                  95%!!!!! My Principal does whatever she can to make my life better/easier!
                  My principal was not happy about having to do this and to some extent it came down from
                  the Superintendent. But, I do not think - she thought it would go on for as long as it has!

                  7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                  For the most part I use one cart. Although,last year I did purchase as small, tall cart to
                  keep all the painting supplies on. I could not live without my rolling drying rack, in fact I
                  have two!

                  8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                  I teach 27 classes a week (50 minute - grades 1 - 5, 30 minutes for K)

                  9. Prep time?
                  1 - 50 minute prep/per day + 50 minute lunch, 5 minutes travel between classes.

                  I have really tried to make the BEST of this situation, I LOVE teaching art and I am not
                  wiling to make anyone (the kids or me) miserable just to make some kind of statement. I
                  do not feel that ART was targeted -- everyone is suffereing from the overcrowding.

                  I will say, that there are 2 good things that come from teaching on the cart. The
                  classroom teachers really get to SEE what I do, and I have gained a lot of respect from
                  them, many comment -- they don't even know HOW I do what I do!!! You get to learn the
                  curriculum and can see where connections can be made. And, there is NO room to clean
                  up at the end of the day!

                  So, now you know what it is like in my world -- the room is so close I can taste it, and I
                  just CANNOT wait! Hopefully I will be moving in this summer!

                  Susan

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "metalgirl54300" <lloar@...> wrote:

                  > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules, I
                  > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                  > one time taught art on a cart.
                  >
                  > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                  > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                  > 3. Other reason(s)?
                  > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                  > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                  > only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                  >
                  > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                  > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                  > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                  > 9. Prep time?
                  >
                  > Thanks for your input!
                  >
                  > Lauri

                • createlikecrazy
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
> [...]

                    just CANNOT wait! Hopefully I will be moving in this summer!

                    Susan

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "metalgirl54300" <lloar@...> wrote:

                    > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules, I
                    > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                    > one time taught art on a cart.
                    >
                    > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                    > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                    > 3. Other reason(s)?
                    > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                    > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                    > only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                    >
                    > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                    > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                    > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?

                  • Lenny Sanz
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
                      I taught cart art for 4 years, in 2 different schools.

                      In a Catholic school, K-8, on three floors, for 2 years with
                      2 carts on 2 of the floors- it was overcrowded there. There
                      I had different grades each day. I taught 4-5 classes a day
                      and didn't really limit the types of projects- came with a bucket and a
                      mop-
                      (crazy?)

                      In the district I'm in now, after 2 years with a very tiny elementary
                      room-
                      it used to be a locker room- they took the room away for a newly hired
                      science specialist- for the test that the 4 th graders take.
                      I taught on a cart on the first floor and carried stuff up with
                      student help.
                      Again, didn't limit what I did much- sometimes added water to markers to
                      simulate paint- put did paper mache, etc. It depended on the teacher-
                      some were supportive
                      and some weren't, as far as giving me a storage area in their class.
                      5 classes a day- grades 3-5- one prep period.

                      Then they ABOLISHED elementary art and luckily I landed in the MS
                      because of retirements, with my own room again- much bigger this time!

                      Yikes! I kind of forgot about all that, but you never know what the
                      future brings....

                      Donna

                      On Wednesday, March 28, 2007, at 05:26 PM, metalgirl54300 wrote:

                      > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules, I
                      > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                      > one time taught art on a cart.
                      >
                      > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                      > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                      > 3. Other reason(s)?
                      > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                      > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                      > only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                      >
                      > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                      > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                      > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                      > 9. Prep time?
                      >
                      > Thanks for your input!
                      >
                      > Lauri

                    • Barb Felsecker
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 28, 2007
                        I have gotten at least 10 duplicates of this email this evening....a virus?????
> [...]

                        just CANNOT wait! Hopefully I will be moving in this summer!

                        Susan

                        --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "metalgirl54300" <lloar@...> wrote:

                        > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules, I
                        > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                        > one time taught art on a cart.
                        >
                        > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                        > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                        > 3. Other reason(s)?
                        > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                        > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                        > only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                        >
                        > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                        > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                        > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?

                      • Shelly Gordon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 29, 2007
                          What is going on, I have gotten this one like 20 times?

                          Shelly
                          upstate NY

> [...]

                          just CANNOT wait! Hopefully I will be moving in this summer!

                          Susan

                          --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "metalgirl54300" <lloar@...> wrote:

                          > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules, I
                          > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                          > one time taught art on a cart.
                          >
                          > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                          > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                          > 3. Other reason(s)?
                          > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                          > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                          > only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                          >
                          > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                          > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                          > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?

                        • Norma Stepp
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 29, 2007
                            _
                            1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                    9 years  :(
                            2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                     yes there is no room  in our building
                            3. Other reason(s)?
                                 None
                            4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                                   Are you serious....I teach every grade every day and I also throw in a pre-K once a week
                            5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                            only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                                   I only do 2-D and Very limited 3-D because the teacher whine that I make a mess or the kids desks get dirty with all of my stuff!!!

                            6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                                  depends on the day and his mood...
                            7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                                    I have one cart up and one cart down and our building has two step down areas where there are three steps down to other classrooms so I have another cart that I have to transfer materials to for those classes everyday.
                            8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                                  30
                            9. Prep time?  I come in early before school and prep because I get no scheduled prep time during the day...But when the teacher have art is there prep time and during all other specials so they get at least 40 minutes a day and when they have art they get an hour!!!  This is a very sore subject with me!!!  Can you telll?!?!?

                            ._,

                            Live today like it is your last...for we are not promised tomorrow!

                            Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                          • henlaojim
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 29, 2007
                              wrote:

                              > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules,
                              > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                              > one time taught art on a cart.
                              >
                              > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?

                              Two. One year at a Missouri rural school and one year in Urban
                              Phoenix.

                              > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?

                              Probably in both cases, yes, although I am of the opinion that for
                              Kindergarten it is a preferable arrangement.

                              > 3. Other reason(s)?
                              > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?

                              Not in Missouri where I had all grades K-4 every day. In Phoenix I
                              had all kindergarten.

                              > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                              > only 2-D; limited 3-D]

                              Yes. for practical reasons I saw no point in dragging around a lot
                              of materials for what were short periods. In Phoenix health
                              consideration made pushing a heavy cart all over the lot impractical.

                              > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?

                              Adequate in Missouri and ninexistent in Phoenix.

                              > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?

                              No. with lower grades I often usend none at all, jst carrying a few
                              things with me from a cnetrally located office.

                              > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?

                              24-30

                              > 9. Prep time?

                              Insignificant.

                              > Thanks for your input!
                              >
                              > Lauri

                            • Ken
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 29, 2007
                                It is either a problem with Yahoo or there is a virus going around.
                                I'll let you know what I find out.

                                Ken Rohrer
                                List Moderator

                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@...>
                                wrote:

                                > What is going on, I have gotten this one like 20 times?
                                >
                                > Shelly
                                > upstate NY

                              • Terri Noell
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 29, 2007
                                  where are you located?

                                  >From: Norma Stepp <njstepp1@...>
                                  >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [art_education] ....informal survey: teaching "art on a cart"
                                  >Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
                                  >
                                  > _
                                  >1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                  > 9 years :(
                                  >2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                  > yes there is no room in our building
                                  >3. Other reason(s)?
                                  > None
                                  >4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                                  > Are you serious....I teach every grade every day and I also throw
                                  >in a pre-K once a week
                                  >5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                  >only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                                  > I only do 2-D and Very limited 3-D because the teacher whine that
                                  >I make a mess or the kids desks get dirty with all of my stuff!!!
                                  >
                                  >6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                                  > depends on the day and his mood...
                                  >7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                                  > I have one cart up and one cart down and our building has two
                                  >step down areas where there are three steps down to other classrooms so I
                                  >have another cart that I have to transfer materials to for those classes
                                  >everyday.
                                  >8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                                  > 30
                                  >9. Prep time? I come in early before school and prep because I get no
                                  >scheduled prep time during the day...But when the teacher have art is there
                                  >prep time and during all other specials so they get at least 40 minutes a
                                  >day and when they have art they get an hour!!! This is a very sore subject
                                  >with me!!! Can you telll?!?!?
                                  >._,
                                  >

                                  >Live today like it is your last...for we are not promised tomorrow!
                                  >

                                  >---------------------------------
                                  >Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                                  >Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.

                                  Live Search Maps � find all the local information you need, right when you
                                  need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01
                                • Norma Stepp
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 30, 2007
                                    Sorry...I am in Columbus Ohio
                                    Norma

                                    Terri Noell <daisymae91@...> wrote:
                                    where are you located?

                                    >From: Norma Stepp
                                    >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [art_education] ....informal survey: teaching "art on a cart"
                                    >Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
                                    >
                                    > _
                                    >1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                    > 9 years :(
                                    >2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                    > yes there is no room in our building
                                    >3. Other reason(s)?
                                    > None
                                    >4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                                    > Are you serious....I teach every grade every day and I also throw
                                    >in a pre-K once a week
                                    >5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                    >only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                                    > I only do 2-D and Very limited 3-D because the teacher whine that
                                    >I make a mess or the kids desks get dirty with all of my stuff!!!
                                    >
                                    >6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                                    > depends on the day and his mood...
                                    >7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                                    > I have one cart up and one cart down and our building has two
                                    >step down areas where there are three steps down to other classrooms so I
                                    >have another cart that I have to transfer materials to for those classes
                                    >everyday.
                                    >8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                                    > 30
                                    >9. Prep time? I come in early before school and prep because I get no
                                    >scheduled prep time during the day...But when the teacher have art is there
                                    >prep time and during all other specials so they get at least 40 minutes a
                                    >day and when they have art they get an hour!!! This is a very sore subject
                                    >with me!!! Can you telll?!?!?
                                    >._,
                                    >

                                    >Live today like it is your last...for we are not promised tomorrow!
                                    >

                                    >---------------------------------
                                    >Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                                    >Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                    mailto:art_education-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    mailto:art_education-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    Live today like it is your last...for we are not promised tomorrow!

                                    Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                                  • Jane
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                                      1. I taught 6 mos. on a cart
                                      2. They were replacing the portable I was in.
                                      3. N/A
                                      4. I taught K-5 each day (6 classes)
                                      5. We did only 2-D until a teacher shared her outside shed for
                                      storage-then did some 3-D Otherwise projects were stored in each
                                      classroom, on very top of cabinets usually-things always got lost-
                                      6. support was so-so
                                      7. I used one cart and a cloth bag for handouts, books, images, etc
                                      I was forever leaving something in each room and having to go back
                                      and interupt the classroom teacher to get back in to get it.
                                      8.I had 30 classes a week
                                      9. Prep time was before or after school or during lunch
                                      P.S. I had a year and a half in the new portable classroom and at
                                      the end of the year the administration asked me "How would you like
                                      to do art on a cart again? It's possible we'll need the room for
                                      Spanish". (K-12 school) I was flabbergasted! Felt we were going
                                      backwards and my mind imagined my wonderful room, all set up, all
                                      the supplies and space, and I said sorry, I wouldn't do it again-it
                                      just did not show that art was valued. Time was lost waitng on kids
                                      to clear desks, traveling from room to room, noisy teachers talking
                                      in room, no space to spread out for large works, messes, having to
                                      always go back in each class to find and look over art at grading
                                      time, etc. (I was not rehired and but they did keep the art room!)
                                      **One plus was seeing how kids acted in their own classroom and how
                                      their teachers handled particular kids and situations.

                                      Ironically, I now teach art outside at a park and love it!
                                      Jane

                                      wrote:

                                      > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching
                                      schedules, I
                                      > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                                      > one time taught art on a cart.
                                      >
                                      > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                      > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                      > 3. Other reason(s)?
                                      > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                                      > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                      > only 2-D; limited 3-D]
                                      >
                                      > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                                      > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                                      > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                                      > 9. Prep time?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for your input!
                                      >
                                      > Lauri

                                    • Robin Singer
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                                        Hi, I am on a cart in 4 schools!!! I teach in two schools per week! it is very difficult not having a home persay....18 wks each. robin in antioch, illinois
                                        > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules,
                                        > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                                        > one time taught art on a cart.
                                        >
                                        > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?

                                        Two. One year at a Missouri rural school and one year in Urban
                                        Phoenix.

                                        > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?

                                        Probably in both cases, yes, although I am of the opinion that for
                                        Kindergarten it is a preferable arrangement.

                                        > 3. Other reason(s)?
                                        > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?

                                        Not in Missouri where I had all grades K-4 every day. In Phoenix I
                                        had all kindergarten.

                                        > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                        > only 2-D; limited 3-D]

                                        Yes. for practical reasons I saw no point in dragging around a lot
                                        of materials for what were short periods. In Phoenix health
                                        consideration made pushing a heavy cart all over the lot impractical.

                                        > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?

                                        Adequate in Missouri and ninexistent in Phoenix.

                                        > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?

                                        No. with lower grades I often usend none at all, jst carrying a few
                                        things with me from a cnetrally located office.

                                        > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?

                                        24-30

                                        > 9. Prep time?

                                        Insignificant.

                                      • vickolden@mncable.net
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                                          Hi!
                                          I am trying to get my elementary art time changed from 25 minutes to
                                          at least 45 minutes or more...I would like to hear from Elementary art
                                          teachers on the length of time their classes are. I have gotten a
                                          few responses but i am looking for more proof that 25 minutes is not
                                          enough time for elementary art. Any more info?
                                          Thanks,
                                          Vickie in snowy Minnesota
                                        • Robin Singer

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                                              Hi,

                                              I teach digital photography on a cart. I roll into a computer lab with
                                              digital cameras and my file folders and teach.

                                              > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                              6 years

                                              > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                              No, I needed to teach in a computer lab.

                                              > 3. Other reason(s)?
                                              see above

                                              > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                                              I teach grades 6, 7 & 8 every day

                                              > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                              > only 2-D; limited 3-D]

                                              digital imaging and digital photo projects only

                                              > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                                              excellent

                                              > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                                              just one dedicated digital photo cart

                                              > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                                              4 to 6 classes a day, 30 days in each cycle.
                                              > 9. Prep time?

                                              45 mins a day

                                              Harold Olejarz
                                              Art/Tech Teacher
                                              Technology Coordinator
                                              Wyckoff, NJ
                                              Google Certified Teacher
                                              Personal Website - www.digitalharold.com
                                              School Website -
                                              http://www.wyckoffschools.org/eisenhower/teachers/olejarz/index.html
                                            • Robin Singer
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                                                i have taught on a cart for 6 years now..., there is overcrowding in our schools but art rooms were not a plan in the schools  I use the science rooms sometimes as an alternative.
                                                I teach digital photography on a cart. I roll into a computer lab with
                                                digital cameras and my file folders and teach.

                                                > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                                6 years

                                                > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                                No, I needed to teach in a computer lab.

                                                > 3. Other reason(s)?
                                                see above

                                                > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?
                                                I teach grades 6, 7 & 8 every day

                                                > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                                > only 2-D; limited 3-D]

                                                digital imaging and digital photo projects only

                                                > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?
                                                excellent

                                                > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?
                                                just one dedicated digital photo cart

                                                > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?
                                                4 to 6 classes a day, 30 days in each cycle.
                                                > 9. Prep time?

                                                45 mins a day

                                                Harold Olejarz
                                                Art/Tech Teacher
                                                Technology Coordinator
                                                Wyckoff, NJ
                                                Google Certified Teacher
                                                Personal Website - www.digitalharold. com
                                                School Website -
                                                http://www.wyckoffs chools.org/ eisenhower/ teachers/ olejarz/index. html

                                              • Jeff Pridie
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                                                  Vickie,

                                                  In many districts in Minnesota Elementary Art, PE,
                                                  Music, Media time are all connected to Elementary
                                                  teacher prep time. In our district elementary teachers
                                                  have a 50 minute prep time so our class time for art
                                                  is 50 minutes. I see each grade level once a week,
                                                  three to four sections of a grade level. I teach
                                                  Elementary Art in the mornings and High School art in
                                                  the afternoon. Teachers bring their students to me.
                                                  Teachers appreciate not having the art in their rooms
                                                  (the mess of paint and clay).

                                                  Jeff (Minnesota)
                                                  --- vickolden@... wrote:

                                                  > Hi!
                                                  > I am trying to get my elementary art time changed
                                                  > from 25 minutes to
                                                  > at least 45 minutes or more...I would like to hear
                                                  > from Elementary art
                                                  > teachers on the length of time their classes are.
                                                  > I have gotten a
                                                  > few responses but i am looking for more proof that
                                                  > 25 minutes is not
                                                  > enough time for elementary art. Any more info?
                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  > Vickie in snowy Minnesota

                                                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                                                • Act Silly 4 Art
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 4, 2007
                                                    Vickie,
                                                    I am in the opposite position from you..  I actually got my Kinder and 1st grade art time reduced from 45 minutes to 30 minutes.  I really didn't have anything to do with the change but I really like the 30 minutes.  I found it hard to stretch an art lesson (for Kinders) into 45 minutes without losing their attention after 20 minutes.  Part of my problem was and still is that art always follows lunch recess.  So, by the time my little ones come to me they really don't want Art they want a nap which the school did away with years ago.  Anyway, that is why my Art time was reduced and I, in turn, changed my Kinder and 1st Grade Program to Choice Based Art which gives my kids plenty of time to explore, discover, and learn about art.

                                                    If my administrator would change Art from after Lunch Recess to after 1st Recess my arguement to support a 45 minute art lesson would be: that it takes at least 5 - 10 minutes of time to introduce the lesson to the students and another 10 -15 minutes to clean up when the lesson is done.  If you figure that in with the amount of time that the students actually have to do any work in art in a 30 minute class, they actually only have 5 minutes of art.  What can anyone do in 5 minutes?  45 minutes allows for the introduction, work and clean up time. And having the kids clean up is also an important aspect of art and social growth.

                                                    Cat in Honolulu

                                                    vickolden@... wrote:
                                                    Hi!
                                                    I am trying to get my elementary art time changed from 25 minutes to
                                                    at least 45 minutes or more...I would like to hear from Elementary art
                                                    teachers on the length of time their classes are. I have gotten a
                                                    few responses but i am looking for more proof that 25 minutes is not
                                                    enough time for elementary art. Any more info?
                                                    Thanks,
                                                    Vickie in snowy Minnesota

                                                    Need Mail bonding?

                                                  • Jennifer Spence
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 7, 2007
                                                      I will never, ever, complain about my cart program again.
                                                      Ever.
                                                      I'm so sorry you're dealing with that Robin.  That should be made illegal.  It's insane.
                                                      best,
                                                      Jen
                                                      NYC

                                                      Hi, I am on a cart in 4 schools!!! I teach in two schools per week! it is very difficult not having a home persay....18 wks each. robin in antioch, illinois
                                                      > As a follow up to the post about elementary art teaching schedules,
                                                      > am interested in surveying those of you who are teaching or have at
                                                      > one time taught art on a cart.
                                                      >
                                                      > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?

                                                      Two. One year at a Missouri rural school and one year in Urban
                                                      Phoenix.

                                                      > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?

                                                      Probably in both cases, yes, although I am of the opinion that for
                                                      Kindergarten it is a preferable arrangement.

                                                      > 3. Other reason(s)?
                                                      > 4. Was your schedule configured to one or 2 grade levels each day?

                                                      Not in Missouri where I had all grades K-4 every day. In Phoenix I
                                                      had all kindergarten.

                                                      > 5. Did you limit the type(s) of projects and/or media used? [i.e.
                                                      > only 2-D; limited 3-D]

                                                      Yes. for practical reasons I saw no point in dragging around a lot
                                                      of materials for what were short periods. In Phoenix health
                                                      consideration made pushing a heavy cart all over the lot impractical.

                                                      > 6. In your opinion, what was the level of administrative support?

                                                      Adequate in Missouri and ninexistent in Phoenix.

                                                      > 7. Did you use more than one cart to handle the number of classes?

                                                      No. with lower grades I often usend none at all, jst carrying a few
                                                      things with me from a cnetrally located office.

                                                      > 8. How many classes did you teach in one week or cycle?

                                                      24-30

                                                      > 9. Prep time?

                                                      Insignificant.

                                                      > Thanks for your input!
                                                      >
                                                      > Lauri

                                                    • Jennifer Spence
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 7, 2007
                                                        25 minutes????
                                                        that's insane.

                                                        In the NYC public school system, the lowest # min. a class can go is 43 minutes - that's basically a 45 minute period - we just have a rather crazy schedule & with travel time, that's what it goes to.

                                                        Jen

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 7, 2007
                                                          Hi Harold,

                                                          I just bought 10 dig cameras for my program.  Can you please tell me more about what you're doing & how?  I don’t' think I can use the computer lab, cuz the tech teachers at both my school and our sister school inhabit it 24/7.....
                                                          Please feel free to email me off list.

                                                          Many thanks,
                                                          Jen
                                                          NYC

                                                          I teach digital photography on a cart. I roll into a computer lab with
                                                          digital cameras and my file folders and teach.

                                                          > 1. How many months or years did you teach on a cart?
                                                          6 years

                                                          > 2. Was it because of overcrowded conditions?
                                                          No, I needed to teach in a computer lab.

                                                          > 3. Other reason(s)?
                                                          see above