Beth Cavener Stichter - Ceramic animal sculpture (Ohio Artist)

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 15 6:03 AM
      Dear Art Educators,

      Beth Cavener Stichter has work in the Renwick Gallery - 2007 Craft Invitational.
      I discovered this on Eye Level Smithsonian Blog:
      http://eyelevel.si.edu/

      Visit Beth's site.
      http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/

      Read about her process and see step by step how she creates these sculptures:
      http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/material.htm
      http://www.followtheblackrabbit.com/Beast_In_Process.htm

      Beth is from Portage, Ohio.

      I have admired Beth's work for many years - she is listed on my
      Ceramics links page.
      You might also enjoy browsing the Guest Artists on her site.

      Incredible Art Resources
    • Jen Millward
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 16 11:18 AM

        .

        Hello Group,

        I am looking for art teachers in New York State to help me answer a question about becoming permanently certified. I am currently in my junior year of an Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to teach K-12 Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to receive permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting advice (from professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable for my purposes that I thought I should ask those who have “been there, done that.” If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what Masters program did you take and where? I am completely open to other certification fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently certified to teach Visual Arts.

        Help!

        Thanks,

        Jennifer in northern NY

      • Molliy
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 16 6:03 PM
          I've been teaching for 15 years-- there is a such thing as being
          permamnently certified? Never heard of it-- of course I'm not in New
          York. I've been certified in NC and now IL. But ever state has there
          own exams you have to pass to be certified. At least in the two I
          have worked in, you have to take professional knowledge hours or
          college course work to renew your certificate ever so many years as
          well.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jen Millward"
          <jenmillward@...> wrote:

          > .
          >

          > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
          s=97359714/grpId=3520770/grpspId=1705019151/msgId
          > =13013/stime=1173964159/nc1=4438974/nc2=3848539/nc3=3848643> Hello
          Group,

          > I am looking for art teachers in New York State to help me answer a
          question
          > about becoming permanently certified. I am currently in my junior
          year of an
          > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to teach
          K-12
          > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
          receive
          > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
          advice (from
          > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable for
          my
          > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
          done that."
          > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
          Masters
          > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
          certification
          > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently
          certified to
          > teach Visual Arts.
          >

          > Help!
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jennifer in northern NY

        • Molliy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 16 6:03 PM

            <jenmillward@...> wrote:

            > .
            >

            > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
            s=97359714/grpId=3520770/grpspId=1705019151/msgId
            > =13013/stime=1173964159/nc1=4438974/nc2=3848539/nc3=3848643> Hello
            Group,

            > I am looking for art teachers in New York State to help me answer a
            question
            > about becoming permanently certified. I am currently in my junior
            year of an
            > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to teach
            K-12
            > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
            receive
            > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
            advice (from
            > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable for
            my
            > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
            done that."
            > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
            Masters
            > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
            certification
            > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently
            certified to
            > teach Visual Arts.
            >

            > Help!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jennifer in northern NY

          • Jennifer
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 17 6:20 AM
              I am in the process of applying for my permanent certification in NY,
              down in the Catskills. I got my Bachelors in K-12 Art Education. I
              got certified in PA, then got a job in NY, where I passed all of the
              provisional certification items within my first year of teaching. I
              had 5 years to get my Masters, was prepared to start at New Paltz
              with a Masters in Art Education and then had a baby. I didn't want to
              commute while I had a small baby, so I began a Masters on-line, in
              Integrating Technology into the Curriculum through Walden University.
              I previously checked with BOCES and they said that any degree would
              be applicable for a Masters and Permanent Certification.
              So now that I have completed the degree, which has been a great asset
              to my classroom, I am filling out an application for permanent
              certification through BOCES and eventually the state. But you have to
              have 2 years of teaching experience before you do this. So if you get
              your masters right away, you'll have to teach for 2 years before you
              apply for Permanent. Plus of course you have to pay $100 for the
              certification. I'll let you know if I come across any roadblocks, but
              everyone I spoke to before I took my Masters assured me that NY
              accepted the degree (it's an accredited institution of the Eastern
              something or other- that's what counts) and also assured me it could
              be in any area. I am glad that I diversified now, though perhaps
              eventually when I have the time I will return for a Masters in Art
              Education, so I can teach at a college level.
              I hope this helps. Good luck!
              Jen

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Molliy" <MAKEART96@...> wrote:

              > I've been teaching for 15 years-- there is a such thing as being
              > permamnently certified? Never heard of it-- of course I'm not in
              New
              > York. I've been certified in NC and now IL. But ever state has
              there
              > own exams you have to pass to be certified. At least in the two I
              > have worked in, you have to take professional knowledge hours or
              > college course work to renew your certificate ever so many years as
              > well.
              >

              > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jen Millward"
              > <jenmillward@> wrote:
              > >
              > > .
              > >

              > > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
              > s=97359714/grpId=3520770/grpspId=1705019151/msgId
              > > =13013/stime=1173964159/nc1=4438974/nc2=3848539/nc3=3848643>
              Hello
              > Group,
              > >

              > > I am looking for art teachers in New York State to help me answer
              > question
              > > about becoming permanently certified. I am currently in my junior
              > year of an
              > > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to
              teach
              > K-12
              > > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
              > receive
              > > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
              > advice (from
              > > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable
              for
              > my
              > > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
              > done that."
              > > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
              > Masters
              > > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
              > certification
              > > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently
              > certified to
              > > teach Visual Arts.
              > >

              > > Help!
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Jennifer in northern NY

            • Shelly Gordon
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17 6:59 AM
                I find all these posts very educational, but, I think
                that all of these programs would not be a good fit
                for me as I do not have an Ed undergrad degree.

                My degree is a BFA. At the time, I had no interest
                in teaching. Now, if I want to teach, I have to have
                an Masters in Art Ed degree. Which is an MS. I find
                that very strange as the only program here is heavily
                studio based, and not Ed based.

                As far as I know, NY state requires an Education
                degree of some sort to teach Art Ed.  I am
                pretty sure that you can't do that online?

                If anyone knows anyway around this, I would be
                interested to hear about it.

                I love to hear everyone's own personal story
                regarding how they are accomplishing these
                things, so keep it up!

                Peace,

                Shelly in Upstate NY

> [...]

                > year of an
                > > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to
                teach
                > K-12
                > > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
                > receive
                > > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
                > advice (from
                > > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable
                for
                > my
                > > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
                > done that."
                > > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
                > Masters
                > > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
                > certification
                > > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently

              • aj4art
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 18 5:23 AM
                  Like you, Shelley- I have a BFA (textiles). After I had my child, I looked into a Masters in Art
                  Ed. I was told at SUC Buffalo that I needed an undergrad degree in Art Ed to get a Masters.
                  No way was I going to get another Under Grad degree! I ended up taking an accelerated
                  program at Niagara University- Masters in Elementary Education.Through this, I was able
                  to apply through BOCES for my Art Ed. cert. (Pre-K- 12) because I had enough Art Credits
                  from my undergrad work. I'm sure you could get a masters in El Ed. online and use that for
                  your art ed cert. All you have to do is pass the (easy) elementary tests.
                  Having dual certification definately helped my land my job. Just last week I recieved my
                  permanent certification for art. Still trying to figure out how I can keep my El Ed cert.,
                  though. (I need to video tape myself teaching a core area- maybe combine art with math,
                  or social studies...) Any ideas? Now I'm thinking about getting the another masters in
                  instructional technology. I'm not sure which way to go....Right now I'm not sure if I want to
                  this for the rest of my life- the fast pace- no time between classes- no $$$$ for supplies-
                  bad attitudes form kids,etc... It certainly is wearing me down.
                  Oh, well- I hope this helps!
                  Amy (NY)

                  des form kids,etc... It certainly is wearing me down. --- In
                  art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@...> wrote:

                  > I find all these posts very educational, but, I think
                  > that all of these programs would not be a good fit
                  > for me as I do not have an Ed undergrad degree.
                  >
                  > My degree is a BFA. At the time, I had no interest
                  > in teaching. Now, if I want to teach, I have to have
                  > an Masters in Art Ed degree. Which is an MS. I find
                  > that very strange as the only program here is heavily
                  > studio based, and not Ed based.
                  >
                  > As far as I know, NY state requires an Education
                  > degree of some sort to teach Art Ed. I am
                  > pretty sure that you can't do that online?
                  >
                  > If anyone knows anyway around this, I would be
                  > interested to hear about it.
                  >
                  > I love to hear everyone's own personal story
                  > regarding how they are accomplishing these
                  > things, so keep it up!
                  >
                  > Peace,
                  >
                  > Shelly in Upstate NY

                • Jennifer Spence
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 18 12:19 PM
                    In NYS, there is provisional state cert - which is what I am at the moment - and then perm. cert.  I think that provisional is being phased out for the most part, or it is the way that I've been doing it.  I think that people coming straight from college who enter the system through one of the 2-yr. incentive programs - where you take your masters & teach @ the same time time - probably have provisional cert.  With permanent certification, though, you still have to take x-credits each year to maintain the license.  Do other states have to do this as well?

                    My sis is nat'ly certified....  don't know if I can sit through any more classes after this masters program...  going on 5 years now.
                    jen

                    <jenmillward@ ...> wrote:

                    > .
                    >

                    > <http://geo.yahoo. com/serv?
                    s=97359714/grpId= 3520770/grpspId= 1705019151/ msgId
                    > =13013/stime= 1173964159/ nc1=4438974/ nc2=3848539/ nc3=3848643> Hello
                    Group,

                    > I am looking for art teachers in New York State to help me answer a
                    question
                    > about becoming permanently certified. I am currently in my junior
                    year of an
                    > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to teach
                    K-12
                    > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
                    receive
                    > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
                    advice (from
                    > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable for
                    my
                    > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
                    done that."
                    > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
                    Masters
                    > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
                    certification
                    > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently
                    certified to
                    > teach Visual Arts.
                    >

                    > Help!
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jennifer in northern NY

                  • Jennifer Spence
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 18 12:52 PM
                      LOL.
                      how many jennifers are there from NY on this listserv?

                      jen
                      nyc

> [...]

                      > year of an
                      > > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to
                      teach
                      > K-12
                      > > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
                      > receive
                      > > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
                      > advice (from
                      > > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable
                      for
                      > my
                      > > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
                      > done that."
                      > > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
                      > Masters
                      > > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
                      > certification
                      > > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently

                    • Jennifer Spence
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 18 1:28 PM
                        Hi Amy,
                        I'm sorry you're having the same kid issues that I am.
                        Regarding art supplies.... I'm sorry that you're not down here where you can go to Materials for the Arts in Queens and load up on free stuff.  Here are a couple of links that may help you:
                        www.donorschoose.org - you can write up projects and have them specifically fund them.  You should do it about 3 months in advance of when you need it.  In general, $500/proposal seems to be their suggestion, so you can even divide up your proposal into parts... teachers at my school have had wonderful luck with them and they service upstate.  It's a pretty simple application process.

                        Airborne Expands Teacher Trust Fund Program for School Art and Music Programs
                        Grants totalling $250,000 will be provided to elementary and middle schools in fifteen states for the 2006-07 school year to fund art and music programs that are in jeopardy of being lost or have already been eliminated....
                        Deadline: Rolling

                        while this may not apply to you - above - maybe it would be worthwhile to see if they have any programs that do.

                        I have a couple of other things I can suggest, email me offlist. jen.spence@...

                        jen
                        nyc

                        There is actually a grant that you should know about....
                        Like you, Shelley- I have a BFA (textiles). After I had my child, I looked into a Masters in Art
                        Ed. I was told at SUC Buffalo that I needed an undergrad degree in Art Ed to get a Masters.
                        No way was I going to get another Under Grad degree! I ended up taking an accelerated
                        program at Niagara University- Masters in Elementary Education.Through this, I was able
                        to apply through BOCES for my Art Ed. cert. (Pre-K- 12) because I had enough Art Credits
                        from my undergrad work. I'm sure you could get a masters in El Ed. online and use that for
                        your art ed cert. All you have to do is pass the (easy) elementary tests.
                        Having dual certification definately helped my land my job. Just last week I recieved my
                        permanent certification for art. Still trying to figure out how I can keep my El Ed cert.,
                        though. (I need to video tape myself teaching a core area- maybe combine art with math,
                        or social studies...) Any ideas? Now I'm thinking about getting the another masters in
                        instructional technology. I'm not sure which way to go....Right now I'm not sure if I want to
                        this for the rest of my life- the fast pace- no time between classes- no $$$$ for supplies-
                        bad attitudes form kids,etc... It certainly is wearing me down.
                        Oh, well- I hope this helps!
                        Amy (NY)

                        des form kids,etc... It certainly is wearing me down. --- In
                        art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@. ..> wrote:

                        > I find all these posts very educational, but, I think
                        > that all of these programs would not be a good fit
                        > for me as I do not have an Ed undergrad degree.
                        >
                        > My degree is a BFA. At the time, I had no interest
                        > in teaching. Now, if I want to teach, I have to have
                        > an Masters in Art Ed degree. Which is an MS. I find
                        > that very strange as the only program here is heavily
                        > studio based, and not Ed based.
                        >
                        > As far as I know, NY state requires an Education
                        > degree of some sort to teach Art Ed. I am
                        > pretty sure that you can't do that online?
                        >
                        > If anyone knows anyway around this, I would be
                        > interested to hear about it.
                        >
                        > I love to hear everyone's own personal story
                        > regarding how they are accomplishing these
                        > things, so keep it up!
                        >
                        > Peace,
                        >
                        > Shelly in Upstate NY

                      • pent19
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 19 3:46 PM
                          Here how the new NYS certification works.(from what i have researched
                          and gone through myself)
                          You start off by applying for Intial Certification after(or close to
                          when) you have recieved a Masters Degree in your field (Masters of
                          Arts in Teaching -k-12 art education.) This requires passing
                          certification exams in our field (LAST and Visual arts assesment at
                          the elementary or secondary level-either will work), fingerprinting,
                          SAfe schools workshops. then of course some additional money for the
                          paperwork and what not. This intial certificate is valid for 5 years,
                          which then you will apply for a professional certificate. I believe
                          you need to have 2 years of teaching to apply for this. A professional
                          certificate will remain valid as long as you complete a certain number
                          of hours of professional development(including staff days,
                          conferences, additional education) every 5 years. This was changed in
                          2004, when certificates were provisional or permanent and 'easier' to
                          get. Forunatley i have/had a great college advisor who helped explain
                          this whole thing to us. more info can be found here
                          http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/faqapply.htm

                          hope this helps.....
                          Michele
                          Intially certified in art ed in NY

                          You can apply for permanent certification when you
                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <laria8@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > year of an
                          > > > Art Ed program at college which will lead to certification to
                          > teach
                          > > K-12
                          > > > Art. Well, obviously I need to get a Masters degree eventually to
                          > > receive
                          > > > permanent certification. However, I am getting such conflicting
                          > > advice (from
                          > > > professionals no less!) about which programs would be suitable
                          > for
                          > > my
                          > > > purposes that I thought I should ask those who have "been there,
                          > > done that."
                          > > > If you received permanent certification (after 2004) in NY, what
                          > > Masters
                          > > > program did you take and where? I am completely open to other
                          > > certification
                          > > > fields as well, just as long as they help me become permanently

                        • pent19
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 19 3:54 PM
                            I don't have an undergrad degree in art either. I have a BFA in studio
                            art and a minor in art history. I received my masters in art education
                            k-12 from SUNY Oswego which requires a BFA not a bachelors in
                            education. Oswego wants artists-teachers who have a rich experience in
                            arts. All the education portion(student teaching, ed classes) comes in
                            a 42 credit masters program. I am very glad I went this route and
                            suggest it to my students who are considering going into art ed. I am
                            able to teach any medium to my studio art students because I have been
                            trained in so many mediums. I don't know if there is a program in NYS
                            that offers a Masters (because you would have to do student teaching
                            and get advised during this time) but I would investigate SUNY schools
                            (the Empire program maybe?) hope this helps
                            Michele
                            NY

                            wrote:

                            > I find all these posts very educational, but, I think
                            > that all of these programs would not be a good fit
                            > for me as I do not have an Ed undergrad degree.
                            >
                            > My degree is a BFA. At the time, I had no interest
                            > in teaching. Now, if I want to teach, I have to have
                            > an Masters in Art Ed degree. Which is an MS. I find
                            > that very strange as the only program here is heavily
                            > studio based, and not Ed based.
                            >
                            > As far as I know, NY state requires an Education
                            > degree of some sort to teach Art Ed. I am
                            > pretty sure that you can't do that online?
                            >
                            > If anyone knows anyway around this, I would be
                            > interested to hear about it.
                            >
                            > I love to hear everyone's own personal story
                            > regarding how they are accomplishing these
                            > things, so keep it up!
                            >
                            > Peace,
                            >
                            > Shelly in Upstate NY

                          • Renah Bell
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                              Hi,,
                              I know this is old, but can you tell me where the Materials for the Arts in Queens is located and what kind of stuff you can get with them, please. I am currently teaching art to learning challenged high schoolers,and a source for free supplies would be great!!

                              Thank you in advance,

                              Renah Bell

                              I have a couple of other things I can suggest, email me offlist. jen.spence@hotmail. com