Re: [art_education] gorilla girls and appropriate text?

  • catharine ho
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      RE: Guerrilla Girls events/online resource guide for
      teachers Posted by: "Pam"
      artresourcesforteachers@...
      artresourcesforteachers
      Sun Mar 4, 2007 12:44 pm (PST)
      I thought you might like to see an
      article about some events that I am co-hosting this
      week on campus.

      Thanks Pam and congrats for making this happen and
      thanks for posting - perfect timing. I am currently in
      the midst of a grade 12 unit on stereotypes of women
      in art and Gorilla Girls books are being read by my
      students. Problem is I have to hide them when my
      younger kids come into class. The title of one is
      "Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers" ... a great read
      and right on - now the problem is how to keep their
      work tame enough for a High School - In the past I
      told them crossing the line was ok for portfolios but
      not for in school exhibition. Well, they are working
      big and taking forever on some pieces and we have our
      big spring show - part of me wants to display the work
      and the part of me that wants to keep my job wants to
      keep it under wraps.
      I think I'll keep my job.... and scale down the show.
      Anyone else in this situation?
      Catharine in Hong Kong