RE: [art_education] Question...

  • Jennifer Spence
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2007

      Hi, I’ll try this out….

      Question 1
      How much has your personal life changed once you became a teacher?

      I’d say more in the sense that I try to be aware of what I’m wearing.  I stopped wearing miniskirts, because I was working with older children, have to bend over to look at work, and also because I tend to shop for clothes I can wear to/outside of work, which meant I stopped buying them…. I do my best to be aware of neckline and wear stuff that shows no cleavage or as little as possible… I don’t wear stuff skin tight, try not to show midriff – which is a challenge as I like my jeans/pants to rest on my hips and the shirts come untucked when I bed down.  I don’t own suits anymore.  I’ve gotten used to the fact that my clothes will probably end up with marker, glue, paint/ink stains every now and then – so I don’t really get overly dressed for work, which is also okay with my principal, as she understands the mess factor.  We have pretty casual dress codes for our staff.  All of us make an effort to be well-groomed.

      Did you once go out to a bar from time to time to have a drink, but have since stopped
      because you might see a parent of a student or a former student who is of age?

      I’ve never been in this exact situation but I have been around students and students parents when there has been alcohol around. Now, I do live in NYC, so the ground rules may be a little less astringent than if I were in a staunchly conservative atmosphere. You know, the only time I could see this situation seriously creating problems for someone is if they liked to go out and get completely blotto.  Which I don’t.  I’d like to think that I sort of provide a better example in that end.  (Now mind you, once the age of 25 hit, I noticed my tolerance for alcohol changing, and through my 30’s its decreased steadily.  I’m such a hangover wuss it ain’t funny, cuz they really, really HURT).

      I’ve also worked in a primarily Latin American community for the past 8 years, and have been to many parties where parents were also guests.  Truthfully, everyone made merry and danced, ate, sang, had fun.  No one got sloppy.

      I don’t party during the weekdays.  Back to that hangover factor.  Which really sucks when you are in a class fully of screaming 5 yr olds.

      However, I was a smoker for a long time, on and off with quitting till 2 ½ years ago when I finally stopped.  I did my best to be very very careful about allowing the students to see me smoking, because I didn’t want to model that habit for them.

      Say you're a big fan of Mapplethorpe and a local museum is have a big exhibit of his
      artwork. Would you not go because someone could see you looking at this graphic work?

      Again, I live in NYC.  I’d probably handle it the same way I handle images of artwork/sculptures that feature nudes:  the body is expressed aesthetically; if there is a sexual connotation, often it is aimed at challenging the viewer to reflect on a specific moral paradigm.  Mapplethorpe’s photography is so visually rich and exciting in its expression of form, and its view of the human body as an object.

      Now, if I lived in the bible belt, I may think differently, but probably not, which may cause friction.  But that’s probably why I choose not to live in the bible belt.

      If you love Pink Floyd and heard there's a reunion show that you'd DIE to go, would you
      think that you should skip it because you might run into someone and then they would
      know you listen to music with lyrics that contain drug references?

      No.