Re: Another question...

  • adaemi04
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
      When it comes to the bullying thing...I have had to deal with it
      twice with my highschoolers. Both times it was subtle picking that I
      knew was making another student uncomfortable. Instead of making a
      scene and diciplining the bully in front of his friends, I pulled him
      out in the hall told him what the problem was and sent him to the
      principal. I just wanted him out of the room as soon as possible to
      avoid further humiliation of the student. I made a point to speak to
      the student after class to acknowledge the situation, tell them what
      i did and remind them that the teachers cannot police every situation
      and that if they feel threatened to get to the principal/counselor/or
      another teacher immediately. Art classes in my small school bring
      together a strange mix of kids...the artsy, creative types sitting
      right next to the jocks looking for the easy "a". And not being an
      academic class, there is a lot more conversing and interaction
      between students. I keep an ear out for possible problems as I move
      around the room. Hope this gives you some ideas. I have not had many
      problems, but this approach has worked for me.
      ~Laura (adaemi)