Linda Woods 2nd Grade City Murals - plus update

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2007
      Dear Art Educators,

      Linda sent me some images of her second grade murals. You can see them
      on her school site:
      http://www.sjs.org/stories/default.asp?L2=3&newsid=44754
      Lower School Gallery - Grade two city murals.

      I will be adding them to the Murals Ideas page.

      From Linda:

      These were murals created by groups of 2nd graders (3 or 4 to a group).
      They are large, approximately 28 x40, some even larger. We just
      recently donated
      them to DePelchin Children's Center, which is a place for abused, neglected,
      and otherwise traumatized kids. It's the first kid art they are putting up, but
      we hope to give them more. I'm creating a CD for each of my students
      with all of the
      18 murals on it, and I am designing greeting card templates that will
      be on the cd as well.
      The images of the murals alone will be large enough to have printed
      out in poster size.

      First thing we did was paint the skies about 2/3 of the way down a
      28x36 piece of white
      100 pound paper. I showed the kids a book called Texas Skies, and we
      talked about
      clouds, weather, etc. We looked at the book, Skyscrapers. Each child
      in every group then
      made a symmetrical skyscraper from a folded piece of paper in varying
      widths (so they
      would not all look the same height and width) building in neutral
      colors and gold metallic trim, with interesting shapes for the tops of
      the building. Using the first cut out skyscraper shape folded in half
      over a larger piece of folded paper, students added another layer in a
      different neutral color, multi cut the windows, folded those over
      another color and then multi cut the frames.

      The next row of buildings called for children to select a group of
      left over Eric Carle style painted paper, various metallics, and
      construction paper colors that they would repeat in various ways
      throughout the middle row. For instance, if one building had a purple
      metallic door frame, another one might have a purple metallic bell
      tower. If one child used blue construction paper in a main building
      shape, another child in the group might use that same blue for doors
      and shutters on their building. The purpose was to create unity,
      contrast, and balance.

      Basically, they all made their buildings from shared papers collected
      in advance together as they talked about what colors looked good with
      other colors. Before they glued these buildings down overlapping the
      back row, they painted a street in front of the back row of buildings,
      and they painted a lighter cement color down to the bottom of where
      the second row of buildings would rest when they got ready to glue
      them down. That way, they covered up art of their sky and created
      background for the second row of buildings at the same time. Now it
      was time to think about the foreground. We discussed the space in the
      foreground. I asked them to think about what would happen when they
      walked out the front door of the front row of buildings.

      I said, "When you walk out the front door, you step onto a _________
      (Sidewalk), as you step off of the sidewalk, you step into the
      ___________ (street). When you cross the street, you step onto a
      _______________ (Sidewalk). As you cross the sidewalk, coming
      forward, you walk into a _______________________ (Park, beach, harbor,
      skating rink, yacht club, marina, race track, etc. I showed the
      children how easy it would be to fold a 24 inch piece of paper in half
      and cut a bridge by cutting a low arch, then a high arch (perhaps with
      interesting shapes spaced out along the way). Then they thought about
      how they could use multiple cutting of skinny strips, rectangles, etc.
      to make the upright cables to the top of the bridge as well as the
      supports below. Working in layers, children created each spatial area
      working from the bottom of their front row of buildings...sidewalk
      with people/pets on it, street with vehicles and passengers, sidewalk
      with more people on it, perhaps a long wrought iron fence entrance
      into a park, or trees that overlap the sidewalk and street and even
      some of the buildings, painted paper for the park, more painted paper
      cut out and glued on for paths, jogging trails, etc. Details for the
      foreground area... more people, perhaps pets, benches, plants, ponds,
      wildlife, etc.

      The icing on the cake was glitter. We added some clear glittery wavy
      lines to ponds and oceans. We also added some glitter to signs,
      lights, etc. They of course, LOVED that part. I knew to save it til
      last, and I monitored each group as we added the glitter in a safe way
      together. NO fingers in the glitter, they glue one color at a time
      (with some coaching or suggestions from me), I pour and dump it off
      onto a folded page. The project took about 6 weeks, but it involved
      the children in such wonderful ways. First of all, to see second
      graders planning and compromising was wonderful. There were two
      groups from the start that had some interpersonal issues, but they
      learned to solve them, and in the end each group really felt like a
      team. They kept each other busy and the ideas just flowed.
      Update on Linda:

      Linda Woods is very appreciative of your thoughts, cards and prayers.
      She has made it through her first round of chemo. (for those new to
      the list, Linda Woods was diagnosed with stage two breast cancer).
      Linda has created a new web site to post her updates:
      http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=lindawoods
      http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lindawoods
      You can read her story there.

      Linda has taken time off from school now and will take more time off
      in the fall for additional surgery.
      Incredible Art Resources