Copyright issues using photographs

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Here is the short answer:

      Yes - it is a violation of copyright to use a magazine photograph as a
      resource (If you are copying the photograph in any way). You are
      making a derived work of art. To make a derived work, you need to get
      permission of the copyright holder.

      The long answer is in the archives. I have answered this many times (smile).
      Here is a longer answer for you:

      Find several images of the animal you want to use. Make sketches in
      your sketchbook using the different sources. Photographs in books are
      meant for research, so have a number of books, too. You will be
      making a composite drawing from a variety of sources - not copying any
      of them. Many artists have used print sources for research. I often
      used Henri Rousseau with my students. He drew his animals from
      published sources. Credit your sources in your sketchbook.

      I do have links on my site to animal photos where you do have
      permission to use them for research. Research and copying are two very
      different things. Many sites give permission right on their web sites,
      others I have written to personally to get permission. Dover
      Publications has many books with copyright free images for you to use.

      I guess I do need to get a page on line on Copyright (smiles). Then I
      don't need to write this stuff up each time.

      Your "queen" of copyright and trademark law