Re: Using photographs from magazines as drawing subjects

  • henlaojim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "wymystic" <wymystic@...> wrote:

      > I believe this topic has been covered at length--yet when I went
      into
      > the archives I was unable to find my answer.
      > QUESTION:
      > Are there copyright issues involved in having students use a
      magazine
      > photo from which to draw? One of the teachers with whom I work
      wants
      > my kids to participate in a Wildlife show: Draw indiginous wildlife
      > from photos ...
      > Irrespective both of "Who's gonna know?" and of the fact that "We've
      > always done it that way," it is my belief that this practice would
      > constitute a copyrite violation.
      > Input welcomed!

      Copyright is intended to protect the original creation of art and
      literature from others publishing it for profit or to harm you
      interest. It is, in effect, the protection of the income potential of
      the copyright holder.

      Student use of the material of the sort youare suggesting is hardly
      any threat to that income. In the first place they probably could not
      produce an exact copy to save their own lives so there is no threat.
      In the second place, they are using the imagery for non commercial
      purposes and it is not, therefore, any kind of threat to the holder.

      If one of them does happen to sell his or her work of many dollars
      then he might owe something to the original holder, but I'd worry
      about that when it happens. More to the point, they might learn
      something from the exercise and do no harm to any copyright holder.

      Anyway, they are kids. they have a right to learn.