Re:uses for broken crayons,,,

  • Barbara Davis
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5 10:22 AM
      Back in the 70's we made sand candles and used crayons to color the wax.

      You use clean sand which can be bought at any home building supply store.
      The sand gets wetted and packed into cardboard boxes, milk containers, etc.
      Then kids scoop out the sand into the shape they want their candle. Note:
      It's important to have a flat base so the candle stands up. We sometimes
      embedded small shells, marbles, etc into the edges of the sand mold before
      pouring in the wax.

      Purchase plain blocks of Gulf Wax and melt in a pan over a hot plate. Peel
      crayons and drop into the melted wax and stir to dissolve. Just like working
      with any pigment, a mix of too many colors gets muddy. Keep separated by
      color and mix according to secondary colors, maybe some tertiary.

      Have wicks cut long enough to tie onto a stone or other small object to
      anchor them to the bottom of the mold, then the wick comes up and wraps
      around a pencil or stick which rests across top of the box/container.
      Carefully pour the colored melted wax into the form to the right height.
      Kids' forms shouldn't be huge...remember that the volume of melted wax has
      to fill the form(s).

      Let wax set up...best to wait until the next day. Kids peel off the milk
      carton or cardboard box and brush away excess sand. Some sand stays embedded
      around the outer surface giving a nice texture. Trim the wick to about 1/2
      inch above the surface of the candle.

      Any easy alternative is to pour the wax into Bell Jars (canning jars) rather
      than sand molds but kids have to think carefully about their shape and
      design and the base if you work with sand. Far less learning using the bell
      jars.

      Barbara Davis
      bdavis@...
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5 10:43 AM
        I have a few shoebox sized tubs of old crayons that the kids can use if they finish early
        (and marker tubs, colored pencils, etc.) I skin crayons to have ready for texture rubbings,
        and I add old crayons and stubby pencils to the collage materials- kids love to glue them
        on or draw with them. What about bagging some up for the kids that say they don't have
        any art materials?

        What about a mural (or poster) made out of crayon mosaic? I am thinking a rainbow....

        What can you do with old oil pastels? Ali
      • familyerickson
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5 3:45 PM
          I bought an old hot plate (like you keep dishes heated up on in the 60's)  at a garage sale.   My kinders love it when I get it out, heat it up, lay a sheet of paper on top and let them draw slowly with old crayons.   This activity must be monitored at all times.   I also lay a folded up towel at the edge of the hot plate so that they can lean their arm and not get burned.
          Cindy

        • MaryAnn F. Kohl
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5 5:06 PM
            Re: [art_education] Re:uses for broken crayons,,, Don’t forget painting with liquid melted crayon for encaustic painting.
            Maybe someone already said that.

            MaryAnn

            On  2/5/07 3:45 PM,  familyerickson  familyerickson@...  emailed:
            I bought an old hot plate (like you keep dishes heated up on in the 60's)  at a garage sale.   My kinders love it when I get it out, heat it up, lay a sheet of paper on top and let them draw slowly with old crayons.   This activity must be monitored at all times.   I also lay a folded up towel at the edge of the hot plate so that they can lean their arm and not get burned.
            Cindy

          • Kelli Wilke
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6 6:53 PM
              We have a large "mural" done with crayone stubs...kind of like mosaic style but without the grout.  Then it was framed right on the wall.
              Kelli in NE

              On  2/5/07 3:45 PM,  familyerickson  familyerickson@ cox.net  emailed:
              I bought an old hot plate (like you keep dishes heated up on in the 60's)  at a garage sale.   My kinders love it when I get it out, heat it up, lay a sheet of paper on top and let them draw slowly with old crayons.   This activity must be monitored at all times.   I also lay a folded up towel at the edge of the hot plate so that they can lean their arm and not get burned.
              Cindy

            • Terri Noell
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6 7:28 PM
                have any pictures? I'd love to see this!
                Thanks!
                Terri in Florida

                >From: Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...>
                >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [art_education] Re:uses for broken crayons,,,
                >Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:53:14 -0800 (PST)
                >
                >We have a large "mural" done with crayone stubs...kind of like mosaic style
                >but without the grout. Then it was framed right on the wall.
                > Kelli in NE
                >

                >"MaryAnn F. Kohl" <maryann@...> wrote:
                > Don�t forget painting with liquid melted crayon for encaustic
                >painting.
                >Maybe someone already said that.
                >
                >MaryAnn
                >

                >On 2/5/07 3:45 PM, familyerickson familyerickson@... emailed:
                > I bought an old hot plate (like you keep dishes heated up on in the
                >60's) at a garage sale. My kinders love it when I get it out, heat it
                >up, lay a sheet of paper on top and let them draw slowly with old crayons.
                > This activity must be monitored at all times. I also lay a folded up
                >towel at the edge of the hot plate so that they can lean their arm and not
                >get burned.
                >Cindy
                >

                >---------------------------------
                >Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

                Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping
              • Sherri Treeby
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6 7:48 PM
                  I remember reading that you can use them for making candles (for color).  Has anyone tried this?
                  Sherri
                  South Dakota

                  familyerickson <familyerickson@...> wrote:
                  I bought an old hot plate (like you keep dishes heated up on in the 60's)  at a garage sale.   My kinders love it when I get it out, heat it up, lay a sheet of paper on top and let them draw slowly with old crayons.   This activity must be monitored at all times.   I also lay a folded up towel at the edge of the hot plate so that they can lean their arm and not get burned.
                  Cindy

                  Sherri T.

                  always stay connected to friends.

                • Jessica
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7 8:53 AM
                    I vaguely recall making candles with crayons. I believe my mom put
                    the crayons in an old coffee can and heated them up on a hot plate.
                    We would mix colors together to create new colors. We took a pencil
                    and tied a string to it for the wick, and then dipped the wick into
                    the melted crayons. It took a long time, and we never attempted to
                    test the candles, but I'm sure you could buy candle wicks to make
                    them functional. The other issue we had (and perhaps it was because
                    I was young and never tried to shape them) was making
                    them "symmetrical" like actual candles. It was a very fun project.

                    jessica in MN

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Sherri Treeby
                    <sherritreeby@...> wrote:

                    > I remember reading that you can use them for making candles (for
                    color). Has anyone tried this?
                    > Sherri
                    > South Dakota
                  • aliteachesart
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7 12:01 PM
                      You could use cheap white candles and dip them into the colored wax. I am just thinking
                      here- maybe place a tea light into a muffin liner or cookie cutterthat has been wraped in
                      foil so it won't leak and pour the crayon around it. What about using candy molds to make
                      crayons with nubs? This is more crafty than artie... (but fun I bet!) Ali