Contemporary African Art - some wonderful art! (gallery site)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      Dear Art Educators,

      I just got some information from Sankaranka Gallery in Brooklyn New York:
      http://www.sankarankagallery.com/
      http://www.sankarankagallery.com/home.html
      There is some wonderful Contemporary African Art on this site -
      Paintings and Sculptures.
      Unfortunately, you can not save the images to file to show students so
      you would have to show right from this site. The site is very well
      done. I borwsed all of thepaintings and scultpures and found them all
      to be "kid safe" - but if I were you, I would show on large projector
      the ones you want the students to see. Some of the paintings show
      strong influence of traditional African art and themes while others
      are do not show heritage.

      Charles Kamangwana collages actual newspapers into some of his
      work.... sure to inspire a lesson....

      The sculpture would enhance any subtractive sculpture unit.

      This is how I found out about this site..... an exhibit announcement.
      I could not find it on their site yet.

      SHADOW MATTER- The Rhythm of Structure

      Sculptures by: Nicholas Mukomberanwa, M. Scott Johnson, Lawrence
      Mukomberanwa, Taguma Mukomberanwa

      February 1 till March 16, 2007

      Opening Saturday, February 10 2007 3-6pm

      Gallery Talk with M. Scott Johnson, Thursday February 22 6-8pm

      Sankaranka Gallery Contemporary African Art

      111 Front St. suites 206, 230 DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY 11201

      Contact: Melvin E. Taylor

      http://www.sankarankagallery.com/

      F' train to York Street Station

      In recognition of Black History Month Sankaranka Gallery mounts the moving

      Exhibition "SHADOW MATTER–The Rhythm Of Structure"

      SHADOW MATTER –the Rhythm of Structure celebrates the aesthetic
      contributions of a modern giant of African neo-classicism - Zimbabwean
      Shona sculptor and philosopher Nicholas Mukomberanwa (1940-2002) - as
      seen through the eyes of his African American apprentice, M. Scott
      Johnson, and his sons, Lawrence and Taguma Mukomberanwa. This
      exhibition features the work of these three direct stone sculptors
      alongside the elder Mukomberanwa's own work, bringing to light the
      powerful influence of Nicholas Mukomberanwa on a new generation of
      sculptors. This exhibition also highlights the effects of the
      crosspollination of ideas during Johnson's residency 1996-99 on the
      Mukomberanwa's farm in Ruwa Zimbabwe.

      The post-colonial emergence of Zimbabwean sculpture and its elder
      statesmen Nicholas Mukomberanwa ranks as as one of the greatest
      narratives of the visual arts in the 20th century. In contrast to most
      of his Zimbabwean peers Mukomberanwa is noted for successfully
      appropriating & Africanizing concepts & methods from across diverse
      (European, Asian and Native American) cultural divides into the
      service of his own powerful vision & imagery. Mukomberanwa's
      collaboration with the spiritual life force of stone is hallmarked in
      masterfully realizing works that stretch the definitions of
      abstraction, figurative and minimalist works. The honesty from which
      his work evolves is a testament to the vitality of contemporary Shona
      culture. As cultural icon, Nicholas was a constant shining example and
      mentor to many young artists. Mukomberanwa's sculptures can be found
      in New York's Museum of Modern Art, London's Museum of Mankind and
      Harare's National Gallery of Zimbabwe. This is one of the first New
      York exhibits of Mukomberanwa's work since his death in 2002.

      M. Scott Johnson, NYC artist and apprentice of Nicholas Mukomberanwa,
      imbues the ancient art of stone carving with a contemporary
      edge-defying attitude that speaks to African-American cultural vision
      & experience. Over the course of his three years of experience at
      Mukomberanwa's studio from 1996-1999, Scott was privy to the unique
      aesthetic and philosophical legacy of Zimbabwean sculptors. When
      referring to the title of the exhibition, Johnson explains that it was
      Nicholas who taught him that "the truth of a sculpture is located in
      the shadows". In describing his apprenticeship, Scott says,
      "Mukomberawa helped me to develop a metaphysical correlation in my
      work, which enabled me to extend beyond Western techno-seduction. He
      showed me how to become a conduit – "rhythmic with my creative
      intuition". Scott's work lies between the crossroads of visual art
      and cultural anthropology. His sculpture can be found in permanent
      collections at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture and
      Hampton University, and have been exhibited nationally at
      establishments such as Transafrica Forum, the Embassy of the Republic
      of Ghana, Columbia and Harvard universities.

      Lawrence and Taguma Mukomberanwa have incorporated their father's high
      aesthetic standards, including the articulation one's own distinct
      vision. Each has begun to exhibit abroad, with Lawrence as resident
      artist at the exhibition "Master Sculptors of Zimbabwe and their
      Works" in Barcelona, Spain. Johnson, who co-curates SHADOW MATTER with
      Saihou Saidy, states:" The presence of their work in this exhibition
      throws into relief the possibilities of aesthetic inheritance and
      variation".

      Sankaranka Gallery provides a forum for presenting the highest quality
      of contemporary African art to an international audience.

      If this type of sculpture interests you, enter the names of the
      sculptors in Google and you will find photograph of the artist, bio
      and examples of works. I didn't save links - but there are "out
      there". I imagine you can find work of the painters, too, that
      interest you (I found quite a bit on Charles Kamangwana).

      I will be adding a link to this site on my African Art links page.

      Is anyone interested right now in images of the sculptures from this
      exhibit? I am writing to Mr. Johnson today.

      Incredible Art Resources