Jasper Johns: An Allegory of Painting (NGA Exhibit)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2007
      Dear Art Educators,

      National Gallery of Art has a feature exhibit on work by Jasper Johns -
      Jasper Johns: An Allegory of Painting 1955-1965:
      http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/johnsinfo.shtm
      Online presentation:
      http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2007/johns/index.shtm

      I read about this in New York Times:
      Bull's-Eyes and Body Parts: It's Theater, From Jasper Johns
      By HOLLAND COTTER
      Published: February 2, 2007
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/02/arts/design/02john.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=slogin
      http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html
      "The selection of works at the National Gallery of Art look every bit
      as radical and mysterious as they surely did in New York in the
      1950s."

      You might want to use "Target with Four Faces" instead of "Target with
      Plaster Casts". Depending on maturity level of your students. I
      wouldn't want any of you to get fired for showing a penis (Kris sent
      me an article about a teacher who was fired for showing drawings of a
      penis! - no kidding - and it was in a health class).

      Online subscription to NY Times is FREE. I will keep posting good
      stuff I find so you know to be sure to check (smile).... Some days,
      there isn't much that interests me.