Re:Handmade Paper

  • Wanda Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      Remember the "old time" hand held fans that were given out in church, etc. back in the day? I had students make those using two pieces of handmade paper with a tongue depressor for the handle. We studied Oriental art and images, students then did an Oriental theme design on each side. One that turned out very nice was a Koi pond the student cut her papers into the shape of a Lily Pad. They drew the same design on each side then colored in using a choice of watercolors or markers. I had lots of dragons, even one great wall with fighting Samari on it. I had forgotten about this lesson so I think I will revise  for this year. Thanks for the memory jog! Wanda
    • Renah Bell
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        I'd like to hear that info also. Please share.
        Renah Bell

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          Wonderful paper for block prints.

          anna in sd

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
            When you are making the paper you can take the pulp
            and make paper casts of sculptures. you pour the pulp
            on the sculpute wait for it to dry and then cut it in
            half to remove the cast. You have to either glue or
            tape the cast back together after it has been cut
            free. I'd use plasticine, or another reusable clay,
            for the sculptures because you could use the same
            materials for a number of different classes and your
            only expense is the paper you use.

            Denny Porter Erie,P.A.

            --- Sarah Coullard <scoullard@...>

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com