Re: [art_education] Handmade Paper

  • dsrtist@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      If you go to my site site www.art-by-ross.com I have a project for making hand made paper using tin cans. I've use this project for making ornaments but there are other uses like cards, door hangers ect. There is also a project for making illuminarias as well.

      Darrell

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        Darrell,
            I also revolve my work around nature spirits and Gods and Goddesses...I have masks that I have made...one of Pan and one of The Earth Mother.

        Tara Sclafani
      • Wanda Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          Remember the "old time" hand held fans that were given out in church, etc. back in the day? I had students make those using two pieces of handmade paper with a tongue depressor for the handle. We studied Oriental art and images, students then did an Oriental theme design on each side. One that turned out very nice was a Koi pond the student cut her papers into the shape of a Lily Pad. They drew the same design on each side then colored in using a choice of watercolors or markers. I had lots of dragons, even one great wall with fighting Samari on it. I had forgotten about this lesson so I think I will revise  for this year. Thanks for the memory jog! Wanda
        • Renah Bell
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
            I'd like to hear that info also. Please share.
            Renah Bell

            What kinds of things have you done using handmade paper?  So far, I can only think of making books out of the handmade paper.  Any ideas?

            Sarah in snowy Michigan

          • Anna K. Ball
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
              Wonderful paper for block prints.

              anna in sd

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                When you are making the paper you can take the pulp
                and make paper casts of sculptures. you pour the pulp
                on the sculpute wait for it to dry and then cut it in
                half to remove the cast. You have to either glue or
                tape the cast back together after it has been cut
                free. I'd use plasticine, or another reusable clay,
                for the sculptures because you could use the same
                materials for a number of different classes and your
                only expense is the paper you use.

                Denny Porter Erie,P.A.

                --- Sarah Coullard <scoullard@...>

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com