Re: [art_education] Handmade Paper

  • Tanya Riehle
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      Re: [art_education] Handmade Paper I had them do small relief sculptures out of oil based clay, making sure there are NO undercuts.  We then poured plaster over them to make a cast, dug out  the clay and put the hand made paper in them, allowed them to dry and you have a sculpture.

      Tanya
    • dsrtist@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        If you go to my site site www.art-by-ross.com I have a project for making hand made paper using tin cans. I've use this project for making ornaments but there are other uses like cards, door hangers ect. There is also a project for making illuminarias as well.

        Darrell

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          Darrell,
              I also revolve my work around nature spirits and Gods and Goddesses...I have masks that I have made...one of Pan and one of The Earth Mother.

          Tara Sclafani
        • Wanda Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
            Remember the "old time" hand held fans that were given out in church, etc. back in the day? I had students make those using two pieces of handmade paper with a tongue depressor for the handle. We studied Oriental art and images, students then did an Oriental theme design on each side. One that turned out very nice was a Koi pond the student cut her papers into the shape of a Lily Pad. They drew the same design on each side then colored in using a choice of watercolors or markers. I had lots of dragons, even one great wall with fighting Samari on it. I had forgotten about this lesson so I think I will revise  for this year. Thanks for the memory jog! Wanda
          • Renah Bell
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
              I'd like to hear that info also. Please share.
              Renah Bell

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
                Wonderful paper for block prints.

                anna in sd

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                  When you are making the paper you can take the pulp
                  and make paper casts of sculptures. you pour the pulp
                  on the sculpute wait for it to dry and then cut it in
                  half to remove the cast. You have to either glue or
                  tape the cast back together after it has been cut
                  free. I'd use plasticine, or another reusable clay,
                  for the sculptures because you could use the same
                  materials for a number of different classes and your
                  only expense is the paper you use.

                  Denny Porter Erie,P.A.

                  --- Sarah Coullard <scoullard@...>

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com