Handmade Paper

  • Sarah Coullard
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      What kinds of things have you done using handmade paper?  So far, I can only think of making books out of the handmade paper.  Any ideas?

      Sarah in snowy Michigan
    • Tanya Riehle
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        Re: [art_education] Handmade Paper I had them do small relief sculptures out of oil based clay, making sure there are NO undercuts.  We then poured plaster over them to make a cast, dug out  the clay and put the hand made paper in them, allowed them to dry and you have a sculpture.

        Tanya
      • dsrtist@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          If you go to my site site www.art-by-ross.com I have a project for making hand made paper using tin cans. I've use this project for making ornaments but there are other uses like cards, door hangers ect. There is also a project for making illuminarias as well.

          Darrell

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
            Darrell,
                I also revolve my work around nature spirits and Gods and Goddesses...I have masks that I have made...one of Pan and one of The Earth Mother.

            Tara Sclafani
          • Wanda Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
              Remember the "old time" hand held fans that were given out in church, etc. back in the day? I had students make those using two pieces of handmade paper with a tongue depressor for the handle. We studied Oriental art and images, students then did an Oriental theme design on each side. One that turned out very nice was a Koi pond the student cut her papers into the shape of a Lily Pad. They drew the same design on each side then colored in using a choice of watercolors or markers. I had lots of dragons, even one great wall with fighting Samari on it. I had forgotten about this lesson so I think I will revise  for this year. Thanks for the memory jog! Wanda
            • Renah Bell
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
                I'd like to hear that info also. Please share.
                Renah Bell

                What kinds of things have you done using handmade paper?  So far, I can only think of making books out of the handmade paper.  Any ideas?

                Sarah in snowy Michigan

              • Anna K. Ball
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Wonderful paper for block prints.

                  anna in sd

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                    When you are making the paper you can take the pulp
                    and make paper casts of sculptures. you pour the pulp
                    on the sculpute wait for it to dry and then cut it in
                    half to remove the cast. You have to either glue or
                    tape the cast back together after it has been cut
                    free. I'd use plasticine, or another reusable clay,
                    for the sculptures because you could use the same
                    materials for a number of different classes and your
                    only expense is the paper you use.

                    Denny Porter Erie,P.A.

                    --- Sarah Coullard <scoullard@...>

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com