Native American Baskets (Susan and all)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
      Dear Friends in Art Education;

      I'm still looking to see if I can find some Native American Baskets for
      Susan to use with her paper cup weaving for the youngers (paper plate
      weaving works well too - just cut out a wee bit so the basket will turn up
      as you weave). I did see a couple images that would work in my Navajo hunt:.
      I hope I am not too late, Susan.

      Here is a general baskets page - giving you several different ones to
      compare and contrast:
      http://www.indiansummer.com/baskets.htm ..but no spoke like baskets (which
      is what I am thinking of)

      Ah - yes - here is a Hopi Example:
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b403.jpg
      and another:
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b426a.jpg
      another:
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b428.jpg
      one more:
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b429.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b427.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b436.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b435.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b442.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b400.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b401.jpg
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/basketry/images/b402.jpg

      Susan - these sound like they fit the plan you described. You might try
      having them draw/design a special symbol to go in the center since you won't
      be able to weave the center.
      I'm wondering how a simple yarn painting might look in the center if you do
      the plate instead of the cup? Let us know how your project turns out and
      what culture you used. If you do the plate, maybe it could become a
      plaque/wall hanging - and have a clay medallion in the center (with an
      important symbol - self hardening clay would work)?

      These all come from this site:
      http://www.rainymountainnm.com/index.html
      I like this site - It has some artists biographies as well. I will use this
      site when I do Incredible Artists.

      Folks - continue to post quality sites you find. Basket making comes up
      every year. This way we will have some links to share.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
    • Christa-Maria
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        Judy,
        Thttp://www.chisholm.k12.mn.us/~zsceglar/resource.html , this is a
        good site for different native baskets ( Great Lakes region)
        If you go into baskets for all seasons, you will find on the bottom one
        for a woven black ash basket.
        I've made baskets as described on that page, birchbark with quills,
        sweetgrass and black ash baskets.
        The hardest thing , making a black ash basket, is to pound the strips
        from the ash log and than splitting them. Weaving is a snap. One reason
        people nowadays buy their weaving splints..If you have natives in your
        area that still knwo how to make the baskets ' the old way', try to get
        one to come to school, so the students can see what a laborious job it
        is to make those splints.
        Also, you must have room for tubs to soak the splints.
        In our area, before Easter, just when the weeping willows got their
        golden color and had no leaves yet, I would gather the long, straight
        branches and brought them straight to school to work with. if they are
        worked with immediately, they are pliable, will not break and work up
        fast into a little 'Easter basket'. Also did not cost anything.
        Yes, I make sweetgrass baskets, but the truth is that one does not need
        to have sweetgrass in order to make those baskets, any long grass will
        do.
        Birchbark baskets are harder to make, one has to have the right bark,
        harvested at the right time and it has to be stored right. The natives
        in the great Lakes Region also used birchbark containers to store food
        in, dug into the ground.The bark kept it from rotting.
        If any of you want to make above baskets and need resource help, I am
        glad to do that.
        C-M
      • Christa-Maria
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
          This is a better link to black ash baskets.
          http://forestry.mtu.edu/kidscorner/humans/baskets.html
          C-M