Art and Math - Pollock and Fractals

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Jan H. posted this to ArtsEducators list:
      http://www.discover.com/issues/nov-01/features/featpollock
      Here's more information on one analysis of Pollock's works - art and
      math.
      Scout Report ran a feature on Pollock February 10, 2006 (copyright 2006)
      http://scout.wisc.edu/Reports/ScoutReport/2006/scout-060210-inthenews.php

      Computer Analysis Suggests Paintings Are Not Pollocks
      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/09/arts/design/09poll.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&8hpib

      UO study questions paintings' authenticity
      http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1139455529308930.xml&coll=7

      Fractals and art: In the hands of a master
      http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060206/full/439648a.html

      Jackson Pollock
      http://www.nga.gov/feature/pollock/pollockhome.html

      Richard Taylor: Further Information [pdf]
      http://materialscience.uoregon.edu/taylor/art/info.html

      Unpopular Front: American Art and the Cold War
      http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/051017crat_atlarge

      Robert Hughes, the venerable art critic for Time magazine, stated in
      1982 "It is impossible to make a forgery of Jackson Pollock's work".
      It is certainly true that the physicality of his paintings, along with
      Pollock's famed "pour" technique was forward-looking for its time.
      Given this information, it is not surprising that previously unknown
      works by Pollock that materialize draw close scrutiny from art
      historians, and increasingly, scientists. This week, the New York
      Times reported that Professor Richard Taylor of the University of
      Oregon had utilized fractal geometry to examine 14 of Pollock's
      painting to help determine, and perhaps put into question, the
      authenticity of a cache of paintings found in 2003 in Wainscott, New
      York. This cache of paintings was discovered by Alex Matter, whose
      parents were friends with Pollock. Currently, Matter is planning a
      large exhibition of these newly discovered works, and this growing
      controversy has been closely followed among those in the art world.
      Dr. Taylor has remarked that his examination of the works has revealed
      "significant differences" between the patterns of these newer works
      and those of known Pollock works. He also mentioned that "That's
      either due to one person who is extremely varied, or it's due to a
      number of different artists." [KMG]

      The first link will take visitors to a piece from this Thursday's New
      York Times, which discusses the recent computer analysis of the
      paintings. The second link will whisk visitors away to a fine article
      by The Oregonian's Richard L. Hill that discusses Dr. Taylor's
      findings and the rising tide of controversy surrounding these works.
      The third link will lead users to an intriguing piece from the
      magazine, Nature, which explores the science behind Dr. Taylor's
      investigations and Pollock's idiosyncratic style and manner. The
      fourth link leads to a National Gallery of Art web exhibition on
      Pollock and his work that begins with a rather intense photograph of
      Pollock holding a cigarette to his forehead. The fifth link leads to
      Dr. Taylor's homepage at the University of Oregon, where users may
      read some of his compelling articles and other writings on his
      analyses of Pollock's work through the use of fractal geometry. The
      sixth and final link leads to a piece by Louis Menand, writing in The
      New Yorker on the subject of American art and its function and
      ideology during the Cold War. [KMG]
      shared here with permission.

      Judy Decker
    • Robin Singer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
        Hi Judy, do you have a recipe for play dough? i misplaced it and have to send it on to a teacher, thank you, robin

      • jscofiel@midtel.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
          > hi- that article about jackson pollock was really COOL! he was really an
          amazing mind. I enjoyed the movie Pollock too. if it was acurate to
          his nature then i can understand his struggle to be understood. very
          sad that so many incredible minds are plaqued with emotional struggles.
          thanks for sharing!! jeannie.