Re: [art_education] some ceramics questions for you

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2002
      LIQUID NAILS WILL ADHERE CERAMIC TO WOOD AND IT'S
      IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOCK THEM OFF ONCE IT IS DRY AND CURED.

      http://sports.yahoo.com/
    • The Austin's
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2002
        I would use Household Cement - it is relatively inexpensive, easy to acquire, and holds about anything. I always have tubes of it around since we also use it to attach broken ceramic projects.
        ~Michal

        Well, here's another request.  I need something that is a surefire way to attach fired ceramic shapes to a flat wooden frame.  Like any tips, what adhesive to use, any particular way to treat the wood, etc.  Anyone try anything similar?
        Our project stemmed from the disappointment every year with lots of ceramic containers fired and awaiting glazing, but never taking the time to experiment with glaze techniques, different ways of application, etc.  Every year it's a resolution of mine to do something early-on that would acquaint the students with different techniques so that they could be familiar with them and be able to use them on their finished containers, etc.

        ---
      • Lynn Pass
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2002
          Hello,
          I'm a high school art teacher in Oregon....I just did what you asked about for a project of my own...fired bisque sculpture attached to a wooden, painted mirror frame. I used epoxy....it works great!
          Good luck!
          Lynn
          On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:11:47
          Barb Bussell wrote:

          >Well, here's another request. I need something that is a surefire way to attach fired ceramic shapes to a flat wooden frame. Like any tips, what adhesive to use, any particular way to treat the wood, etc. Anyone try anything similar?
          >Our project stemmed from the disappointment every year with lots of ceramic containers fired and awaiting glazing, but never taking the time to experiment with glaze techniques, different ways of application, etc. Every year it's a resolution of mine to do something early-on that would acquaint the students with different techniques so that they could be familiar with them and be able to use them on their finished containers, etc.
          >Our project is this: each student (mostly highschool sophomores) create at least 20 "tiles" or flat shapes, not necessarily geometric in style. Different sizes, different thicknesses, some textured, some left smooth. Then, after seeing the test tiles for available glaze colors and seeing the different techniques demonstrated (sgraffito, dripping, sponging, wax resist, etc.) they are to try at least six of the techniques on their tiles, and do them more than once, like two dripped tiles, three sgraffito, etc. They can pick up to three glaze colors to keep things fairly unified. Then when those variety of shapes are fired, they have a visible sample of what the techniques look like, either on their shapes, or on another students'. Lastly, they can create one of two projects with their collection of finished shapes: first choice is a set of windchimes hanging from a canopy with a handle for hanging. second choice is buying or bringing in a purchased mirror with a simple w
          ood frame and attaching the shapes in their own way to the wooden frame, which can be painted first in a coordinating or contrasting color. The shapes can be layered, can overlap the mirror, or just remain on the edge. These will be heavy when done, but I'm not allowing very thick shapes, and the mirrors don't have to be large. Their mirror doesn't have to have all twenty on it....just what looks right. But they will be responsible for the twenty and can do with the other ones what they wish....picture frame, chimes, etc. The kids are excited and are doing good craftsmanship on their pieces. I just want some technical advice as to how to attach them. Grout? Epoxy? Help????
          >Thanks,
          >Barb

          2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
          http://my.lycos.com