more on dyed rice mosaics

  • lillisb
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      My high school students started our dyed rice mosaics today. We dyed
      rice with a couple drops of food coloring (depending on intensity
      wanted) and a small amount of rubbing alcohol (about a 1/2-1 capful.
      Mix in a plastic cup (or put in a ziploc bag and shake. Spread out
      onwaxed paper, usually is dry within 10-15 minutes. Use tacky glue to
      adhere to cardboard. Did discover that the blue food coloring (we
      used a generic brand) made kind of a funky turqoise color, so instead
      of using food coloring we mixed a small amount of powdered tempera
      paint..that made a great color, more intense. But it took a little
      longer to dry, and you had to add more alchohol to dissolve the
      powder. Also wondering if a little watered down acrylic paint would
      work too..esp for dark, brilliant colors.

      My students seemed to love this project so far..will be time
      consuming.

      Lillis