Meet Simon Sparrow - "Outsider artist"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003
      Friends in Art Education,

      Denise on ArtsEdNet introduced us to Simon Sparrow today. I immediately saw
      connections to the art of Betye Saar, Chris Ofili and Haitan Flags.... I
      know you will find your own connections. THANKS Denise. I am always looking
      to "meet" new to me artists. I admire his work. Great artist to use with
      kids!

      http://www.rawvision.com/back/sparrow/simonsparrow.html
      SIMON SPARROW Simon Sparrow was born in West Africa in 1925. He went to
      school in North Carolina where his parents were sharecroppers. At the age of
      twelve he ran away to Philadelphia, where a Jewish family took him in. He
      enlisted in the army, was a housepainter in New York and in 1969 moved to
      Madison, Wisconsin, where he was a street preacher. He did some drawings but
      is best known for his collages of thousands of small found objects. His work
      was inspired by his religious visions. Simon's work is in the permanent
      collection of many museums including the Milwaukee Art Museum, the St. James
      Place Folk Art Museum and the Akron Art Museum.

      I loved this work too:
      http://americaohyes.com/sparrowimages/ascend.jpg

      http://americaohyes.com/pages/sparrow.htm

      from Raw Vision:
      http://www.rawvision.com/back/sparrow/Sparrow1.jpg

      Nice Outsider art - but the Sparrow one isn't shown very large:
      http://my.execpc.com/~wpca/wivisions.html

      Untitled:
      http://spaightwoodgalleries.com/Media/Drawings_20th/Sparrow_Untitled_color.j
      pg (add the pg)
      http://spaightwoodgalleries.com/Pages/20th_Century_Drawings2.html

      And I liked that a lot of this came up in my search:

      Simon & Garfunkel - Sparrow

      (2:50)
      P. Simon, 1964
      Who will love a little sparrow
      Who's traveled far and cries for rest?
      "Not I," said the Oak Tree
      "I won't share my branches with no sparrow's nest
      And my blanket of leaves won't warm her cold breast"

      Who will love a little sparrow
      And who will speak a kindly word?
      "Not I," said the Swan
      "The entire idea is utterly absurd
      I'd be laughed at and scorned if the other swans heard."

      Who will take pity in his heart
      And who will feed a starving sparrow?
      "Not I," said the Golden Wheat
      "I would if I could but I cannot I know
      I need all my grain to prosper and grow"

      Who will love a little sparrow?
      Will no one write her eulogy?
      "I will," said the Earth
      "For all I've created returns unto me
      From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be"

      Ok... I will LOVE the little sparrow (smile). Now back to finding more
      images.

      If anyone finds more online -- post to the lists. I am saving all I find -
      since I will never be able to afford my own.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...