Re: [art_education] dyed rice mosaics -how about mat board?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi Lillis,

      I must admit you peaked my curiosity. I did a quickie Google search to see
      what I could find and nothing came up quickly. I'd love to see an image of
      what someting like this looks like. I am posting to the list because others
      might be interested in Ken Schwab's mat board mosaics, too
      http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/mosaics.html
      Be sure to look at the detail one, too. I bet those of you who have come to
      know me figured out which images I saved to feature on Incredible Art
      Department.
      I think you can buy mat board assortments - but you could also make your own
      from donated mat board.

      Judy Decker

      P.S. for Ken - I knew you would figure out one of my favorites:
      http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/mosaic9.jpg The roses and leaves appear
      to be done differently - are they more of a collage? I have stared at this
      images a lot...it is just amazing.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        Our elementary school art teacher has done mat board mosaics using beans,
        which come in so many shades and colors. The results were quite magnificent.
        Renah Bell
        > I must admit you peaked my curiosity. I did a quickie Google search to see
        > what I could find and nothing came up quickly. I'd love to see an image of
        > what someting like this looks like. I am posting to the list because
        others
        > might be interested in Ken Schwab's mat board mosaics, too
        > http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/mosaics.html
        > Be sure to look at the detail one, too. I bet those of you who have come
        > know me figured out which images I saved to feature on Incredible Art
        > Department.
        > I think you can buy mat board assortments - but you could also make your
        own
        > from donated mat board.
        >
        > Judy Decker
        >
        > P.S. for Ken - I knew you would figure out one of my favorites:
        > http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/mosaic9.jpg The roses and leaves
        appear
        > to be done differently - are they more of a collage? I have stared at this
        > images a lot...it is just amazing.

      • Renah Bell
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          These are amazing-every one. Are these high school students? I'm spellbound
          and wish I could get my middleschoolers to do work like that.
          Renah Bell
          > I must admit you peaked my curiosity. I did a quickie Google search to see
          > what I could find and nothing came up quickly. I'd love to see an image of
          > what someting like this looks like. I am posting to the list because
          others
          > might be interested in Ken Schwab's mat board mosaics, too
          > http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/mosaics.html
          > Be sure to look at the detail one, too. I bet those of you who have come
          > know me figured out which images I saved to feature on Incredible Art
          > Department.
          > I think you can buy mat board assortments - but you could also make your
          own
          > from donated mat board.
          >
          > Judy Decker
          >
          > P.S. for Ken - I knew you would figure out one of my favorites:
          > http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/mosaic9.jpg The roses and leaves
          appear
          > to be done differently - are they more of a collage? I have stared at this
          > images a lot...it is just amazing.

        • lillisb
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            I saw some rice mosaics at a high school art fair and they were
            goregous..I should have found out name of teacher and contacted
            her..never did.

            I know you use food coloring and a small amount of alcohol to die
            rice but am not sure what the best adhesive would be...would plain
            old elmers glue work, or rubber cement (would like to avoid the
            fumes...)
            Lillis