Conan2 last word for TODAY

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2003
      (Patrick - this will help you get to know me a little more, too - I hope you
      are reading these in the right order)

      Dear Friends in Art Education,

      Well... I have phoned NBC and sent email to Patrick. I am sure he will find
      a way to come to some kind of agreement now that we all will think is fair.
      Conan2 is in their possession:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/conan.htm
      All of you educators have come to know me over the years and know how I feel
      when kindness, generosity and hard work is abused and used.
      You also know how I feel about honesty, respect and trust. I hold no hard
      feelings against the Today Show for this - as that is a show I do watch
      every morning.
      I don't know who at NBC is responsible for the way they thought an art
      teacher/our profession should be treated and at this point I don't care to
      know. Michael Gerrish would be proud of me right now... I am looking over my
      Survival Kit right now
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/survival.htm and still have no
      regrets - it was fun story. I am also glad we have these expectations for
      behavior as well: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/rules.htm
      (although Mr. Decker did revise them slightly after these were posted).

      Some day we will have a society that respects what we do....Let's start with
      the children in our classrooms. I took my permission to use Conan2 away from
      them out of respect for what you do... and because I greatly value my time
      as a teacher. I generally don't do art for sale. I look daily for ways I can
      continue teaching. My masters degree was in teaching and what they found on
      the web is a result of my research project and countless long hours of
      study - way too many hours to even tally up.

      They took advantage of the wrong teacher this time....they don't need to
      know the rest of the story.

      Thank you to everyone who has sent kind words about my sculpture to the list
      and off list. I wasn't trying to make him "perfect" -- I was just trying to
      get him done in a reasonable amount of time to keep my own "expenses" down
      (This was a "just do it" sculpture). If it were my choice of medium he would
      have looked considerably different. For now we judge him on the aesthetic
      view of Art as Functional.... I'll give you the final answer on whether or
      not it meets that goal.

      Have a wonderful Weekend everyone! Keep up the good job you are
      doing.....Someday things will change.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...

      P.S. For Michael Gerrish if you are reading....this time there really are
      three stories. I have two stories on my computer. The ones I sent and the
      ones from them. Somewhere, I am sure there is THE truth. But 2 sides to
      every story works just fine for me this time. Obviously, I ignored my pencil
      grip - I don't use them anyways. Hope your days are sunny!

      P.P. S. I do hate it sometimes though when I am right... I had a hunch all
      along how this was going to play out...