New comer...

  • Shelly Gordon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello All,

      Sorry I waited so long to introduce myself, but have yet to
      determine if this is the right place for me to post.

      Unlike most of you, I am an Independent Art Instructor and don't
      work for a school/district.

      I do private lessons for all ages (kids and adults). I have been
      teaching for about 2 years and have focused mostly on homeschooled
      students as if fits well with my schedule.

      I have learned that that avenue is limited at best and am currently
      working on finding locations to teach studio classes. I have one
      possibility, but it is also limited.

      I was just looking for a venue to bounce ideas off of, and basically
      find out if there is anyone else out there doing what I am. If there
      is anyone out there that has been doing something similar, I would
      be interested to hear from you (off list if you prefer).

      Thanks for listening.

      Sincerely,

      Shelly Gordon
      ShellysArt
    • Lorri Richey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        I joined the group since I have been cultivating art teaching job
        ideas since Evansville has a lack of jobs in general. I thought
        about trying what you are doing. Nice to see it is working for
        someone. We have a large homeschooling base in the area, Evansville
        Indiana. Obviously insurance and driving costs would be a concern.
        My sister suggested I set myself up as a business, which is its own
        headache of taxes and paperwork. I have a few years to go before I
        finish my college classes, and I am 44 years old, so I am not new to
        going out on my own and making a cash income.

        It would be interesting to know how you got started and do you have
        a degree in art or education?

        Lorri

        In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Shelly Gordon" <sgordon13@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Sorry I waited so long to introduce myself, but have yet to
        > determine if this is the right place for me to post.
        >
        > Unlike most of you, I am an Independent Art Instructor and don't
        > work for a school/district.
        >
        > I do private lessons for all ages (kids and adults). I have been
        > teaching for about 2 years and have focused mostly on homeschooled
        > students as if fits well with my schedule.
        >
        > I have learned that that avenue is limited at best and am currently
        > working on finding locations to teach studio classes. I have one
        > possibility, but it is also limited.
        >
        > I was just looking for a venue to bounce ideas off of, and
        basically
        > find out if there is anyone else out there doing what I am. If
        there
        > is anyone out there that has been doing something similar, I would
        > be interested to hear from you (off list if you prefer).
        >
        > Thanks for listening.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Shelly Gordon
        > ShellysArt

      • Paul Joseph Schleitwiler, FCM
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
          wrote:
          " ...I do private lessons for all ages (kids and adults). I have been
          teaching for about 2 years and have focused mostly on homeschooled
          students as if fits well with my schedule.
          I have learned that that avenue is limited at best and am currently
          working on finding locations to teach studio classes. I have one
          possibility, but it is also limited. ... "
          Shelly Gordon

          when looking for venues for 'studio' classes, consider where you might
          find such space. A couple possibilities are local park districts and
          craft/art supply stores. The former are always looking for art
          programs for recreation and the latter are looking for hooks to
          selling their wares.
          Another possibility is nursing/assisted living homes which might also
          have a budget to supplement materials costs.
          Never hurts to ask at these places. Plus the first two may refer
          people to you as private students.
          Que Dios te bendiga de siempre y de todas maneras,
          Paul
        • Barb Reser
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
            Shelly and Lorri:

            I teach art as a home based business.  Please check my website  www.arteducationstudio.com ) and email me offlist.  Thanks,

            Barb

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
              You might also look into local schools with after school programs, they often want teachers to come in to do special classes. I am an art teacher in a small private school, but i make good extra $ teaching after school art classes, and also summer art workshops.
              Kieren