Artist's Thumb

  • Susan Bauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
      Has this ever happened to anyone? Usually when I create art I am
      interrupted frequently and therefore often don't work for long
      periods. Recently, I was working on a 12" x 18" colored pencil drawing
      that I really got into. I started it at work and then brought it home
      to finish. Partway through the night my hand started to hurt (I have a
      callus on my thumb from drawing) and so I changed my position by
      cradling the pencils in the web between my thumb and forefinger. A
      little while later my thumb began to go numb. I thought it was just
      drawing fatigue--I had to finish my drawing! The next morning my thumb
      was still numb and two weeks later it is still numb! My father (an MD
      said I bruised a nerve). Has anyone else experienced this? I have
      dubbed the condition the Artist's Thumb syndrome.

      Susan in MO
    • Lorri Richey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
        I recently had something similar happen, but chalked it up to a case
        of carpel tunnel. I was working on several projects at one time,
        drawing, inking, and painting. Had classwork to finish, a painting
        for my portfolio and a commission, so I know I overworked my hand
        and arm. I see a chiropractor and she poked around my shoulder and
        that seemed to unlock a nerve that had been pinched. I am just
        keeping an eye out for later potential issues, my problem seems
        worse when painting for some reason.

        Lorri

        In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Bauer" <bauers@...> wrote:

        > Has this ever happened to anyone? Usually when I create art I am
        > interrupted frequently and therefore often don't work for long
        > periods. Recently, I was working on a 12" x 18" colored pencil
        drawing
        > that I really got into. I started it at work and then brought it
        home
        > to finish. Partway through the night my hand started to hurt (I
        have a
        > callus on my thumb from drawing) and so I changed my position by
        > cradling the pencils in the web between my thumb and forefinger.
        > little while later my thumb began to go numb. I thought it was
        just
        > drawing fatigue--I had to finish my drawing! The next morning my
        thumb
        > was still numb and two weeks later it is still numb! My father
        (an MD
        > said I bruised a nerve). Has anyone else experienced this? I
        have
        > dubbed the condition the Artist's Thumb syndrome.
        >
        > Susan in MO

      • Ann Carolan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
          > I have "trigger finger" where at night, the middle finger stiffens up
          and I can'tbend it. The orthopedic surgeon told me it may require an
          operation to loosen the shaft and restore mobility. it feels a little
          better as the day progresses but gets quite stiff and swollen at night
          and "sticks" if it bends too much. I think it's related also to my stiff
          arm and shoulder. wahhh wahhh.
          ac