Re: [art_education] Re: Dirty brushes

  • Act Silly 4 Art
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2006
      Thank you Larry... this is a great tip.  My husband uses Simple Green at home to clean the filters in our air conditioners and the rims of his tires, I can't go near him when he uses it because the order sets off my migraines.  But I'm sure if I wear a mask when I'm in the classroom I might be able to use this with the brushes.  I'll try it when I go in this week.

      cat

      LarrySeiler <lseiler@...> wrote:
      Believe a long time ago I may have mentioned this...
      but I keep the concentrated Simple Green on hand...and a refill container
      beneath the sink.
      Even our custodians have now started using this product seeing what it does
      for me and my students.

      I use Simple Green to finish cleaning my oil paint brushes...

      I used to have very little encouragement to say to kids that got paint on
      their clothes other than a reminder they should have been wearing a
      smock...but, Simple Green put onto the spot seems to work wonders. A bit of
      fingernail rubbing and most times the scariest stains come out.

      There is a cheaper Simple Green found at Dollar stores and such...but make
      sure you get one from a hardware store, or outlet like Home Depot, Walmart
      and so forth and see that it says "concentrate" on the bottle.

      Amazing...not that expensive.

      I first heard about it when a gun dealer told me he used it to clean all the
      oily dirty parts of shotguns and such. We live in a bird hunting/deer
      hunting outdoors recreational area of northern Wisconsin... so for us this is
      common interests. I figured if it worked on cleaning such for a gun dealer
      I'd have to try it out.

      For oil brushes I do two things. I have made a brush cleaner by turning an
      empty smaller mushroom can upside down and poking many holes in it with a
      hammer and nail, and then sliding it in upside down into a soup can. To
      this I filled with kerosene...which is a gentler solvent than turps. Turps
      burns the bristles of the brush...but kerosene is very kind, and works the
      same. Now kerosene has an odor...but if you simply get one more can that
      slides over the soup can with kerosene covered, can covered...there is no
      odor.

      I use that to clean brushes after done...and then use Simple Green sprayed
      into the bottom of another cup. Those old Gatorade orangish cups that have
      texture on their sides...with white lids are best. The plastic ridges
      inside work the pigment off the brushes well with Simple Green.

      Simple Green works well with acrylics or other stains as well.
      A number of our custodians now apply a bit of Simple Green to the bottom of
      a rag attached to a pole to rub shoe scuff marks off floors in the school
      hallways. My students like to use it to clean off tables too...which is
      nice, as we've been using Knock Out...but, Simple Green is nontoxic,
      biodegradable, and thus safe. That to me was a huge thing right
      there...safe!

      Larry
      My dailies artblog- http://larryseiler. blogspot. com/

      My wildlife artblog- http://simplystated -larryseiler. blogspot. com/