Re: [art_education] hard kids

  • Act Silly 4 Art
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2006
      I have had similar situations with students who elect to take art but do absolutely nothing.  In the beginning, I used to blame myself that I didn't provide projects that were challenging enough or fun enough for them.  But when I see the other students in the class willingly participate I know that my teaching has nothing to do with the student's refusal to work.  So, if they choose not to do any work I usually send home an academic notice, if they continue to not do any work then I make a phone call to the parents, and finally if neither of those work I have gone to the principal and asked that she call the parents and discuss the situation with the parents. I have had only 2 students in my 5 years of teaching art moved from my class to either study hall or another elective. It really breaks my heart when I have a student who just doesn't want to work because I know they don't want to be in art and I hate having to call their parents or have the principal move them.

      Sharon Paster <beyondskyline@...> wrote:
      I work in two schools. One is a pleasant environment,
      the other is not. In both cases, the teachers are
      nice. But as far as the second school is concerned,
      the kids are hesitant to share anything in their work.
      I give them good assignments that are open ended, and
      developmentally appropriate, but they resent doing
      "work". I don't know if the admin judges me as a bad
      teacher..
      One kid does not do any work, not in any class, he
      acts out. Any recommendations?

      Sharon
      NJ

      Do You Yahoo!?