Re:Animals in Indian Art (India) - Exhibit at Philadelphia Museum of Ar

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2006
      Thanks Judy for sending me the link to the page on Animals in Indian Art.

      This just for the information of all my co-art teachers across the globe.We in India worship a few animals like the Elephant/ Cow/ snake / monkey & the Bull.Amongst the birds it is the peacock & the crow.
      It is also one of the reasons why 80% of the population is vegetarian.Most Indians do not eat beef, due to respect to the Cow which is worshipped in many homes..The cow is considered very a sacred animal which gives us milk and helps the farmer.

      I make it a point to let the students know or find out from the net a little background information about animals and their place in our lives and in art.Children will learn to care for animals that way.
      We cannot deny the link between the food chain, our biodiversity.And how we depict it in art plays a very important role in how we feel towards nature around us.

      These are just a few thoughts that came to my mind when I saw the images.

      Kamla

      http://mail.yahoo.com