Bleach Out

  • Krissie Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2002
      Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how the art technique/process of bleach out is done, and with what kind of resources.  I have tried everyday bleach with black cardboard, however this does not work.  Do I need a special bleach, or special black paper.  If anyone knows can you get back to me.

      Thanks very much,
      Krissie
    • Smileatsusan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2002
        I've seen this done, but I could never use bleach in the elementary
        classroom. I'd try another paper with less sizing. Pacon paper is considered
        non-fading, and may resist more than the cheaper "fuzzy" construction papers.
        -Susan
      • Julie Casebourn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2002
          Wow, I can't believe you asked this question. I just
          did 2 projects with bleach-out today. I find that
          full strength bleach works best. I would recommend
          going outside to do or open alot of windows- fan
          etc...fumes you know.
          I usually put bleach into a baby food jar, and they
          can dip a q-tip for wide lines and big shapes or dots
          or dried-out marker for fine lines and shapes, into
          the jar. Of course, the longer you hold the tip of
          tool down the more the bleach will spread. You can
          also create different values by going back over
          bleached-out areas. Different brand and different
          colored construction papers will bleach-out
          differently. I also do this on black rayon or cotton
          fabric. Today my 5th graders bleached out areas on
          fabric strips they tie-dyed and stamped with fabric
          paint. They are studying about African Adrinka
          cloths.
          The last layer of tie-dying was done with regular
          black Rit dye and the bleach left a beautiful golden
          color.

          http://sports.yahoo.com/