Animals in Indian Art (India) - Exhibit at Philadelphia Museum of Art

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      I know many of you do the theme Animals in Art. You may find this
      exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art interesting. Christine B.
      posted this to ArtsEducators and Getty list.

      From Christine:

      Here is an Art Daily article on the current exhibit at the Philadelphia
      Museum of Art,
      Fantastic and Functional Animals in Indian Art

      http://www.artdaily.org/section/news/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=18599

      here is a link to the PMA website

      http://www.philamuseum.org/exhibitions/collection/251.html
      The museum link has many objects from the exhibit as well as some
      photographs of the actual animals.

      From the exhibit page:

      Animals—from ants to owls, cranes to crocodiles—populate India's art.
      Rather than merely being part of the landscape, however, they almost
      always play specific roles whether as characters in a story, symbols,
      or poetic metaphors.

      Fantastic and Functional Animals in Indian Art draws from the Museum's
      rich collection of 'miniature' paintings to explore the many meanings
      of India's scaly, feathery, and furry inhabitants, both natural and
      supernatural.