classroom discipline & ideas needed

  • nancylvsart
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2006
      Wonderful art teachers,
      I wanted to introduce myself a little & hopefully get some
      feedback & info. I have taught art 13 years, all but 1 were in
      middle & high school. I had an almost PERFECT job at a fantastic
      high school, but had to move. The only opening in the new city was
      elementary, so I took it because our family needed to be closer to
      our families & church. Our school is all modules (portables) until a
      new one is built. We are on a 9 day rotation, pre k- 5, 5 classes
      daily, 50 minutes each.
      What a change for me! I have plenty of lesson ideas, but I am
      learning that I have to teach much differently, that even the
      simplest things some kids can't do. I have a hard time with
      kindergarten- keeping their attention, following directions. I could
      really use help on:

      * disruptive students besides time out, because usually in time
      out the student behaves worse! I tried a copy the rules lesson and
      was told I could not use it. Even harder, what to use with k-1st
      grade for discipline. I try to use rewards- stickers, stamps etc-
      sometimes they work, but meanwhile I am going broke!
      *organization & storage in a portable
      *best books & resources for es level
      *ideas for classes that are 1/2 regular & 1/2 ESE- (32 in class)
      *clean up ideas
      *art club ideas
      *nifty but not too messy ideas for bigger classes
      *how to get glue bottles to work- or buy new ones?
      *how to get classroom teacher's help
      Anything would be great! Meanwhile I am praying a ms or hs job
      becomes available!
      THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!
      Nancy in Florida
    • d-art@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2006
        Hi Nancy, Yes, it's quite a change from secondary to elementary. And a big stretch from pre-K to 5. I recommend Young At Art, a book with much insight into very young artists. I teach elementary art in NM. It doesn't always fly with every Principal, but we try to schedule 3,4,5 fall semester, and K,1,2 spring semester. This helps with art lesson continuity and spring testing schedule conflicts/art class time loss. It also promotes art teacher sanity. Whee are you in FL? Jane
      • Dean & Cathy Frederickson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2006
          Message
          Nancy,
          I have had a similar experience but probably won't be able to address all of the issues you pose but I will try. My Pre-K and K classes are 30 minutes long the rest are 40 so you are quite fortunate to have them longer since I came from 70 minutes.
          With kindergarten I have supplies ready for them and teach them how I expect them to walk in and sit down, touching nothing: "Eyes on me, voices off" and we do this until they can all show me, then we learn how to echo draw. They are very well behaved because they know what I expect and they want to please, they also all want to be artists so I play that too. They appreciate soft music and me walking around when they are coloring and showing them how to control the crayon. I stay away from scissors until they meet expectations. When they can't behave I have a time out space where they don't do anything except sit, it works like a charm. I know it sounds rigid but they all feel successful, wanted and love to come to my class. I never give rewards because I tell them the art is their reward. For the combination classes I alternate my curriculum, so one year is 1st grade, the next is 2nd. Some students might miss out on a few things but it is simple and in my mind a logical approach. As far as clean up goes I teach that also, the rational I use is that if they know how to do it and do it efficiently they have more time for their art. For larger classes, I have had 40 (six year olds) I reduce the number of paint trays and have them share, this way I can watch what is going on better and they learn to cooperate. Glue bottles, yeah I think I have a degree in glue bottle technology..... buy new ones and teach them how to take care of that too, they will!  Elementary classroom teachers feel great ownership in their students and their behavior so I complement and when there is a problem, I work with the teacher to solve it. Don't give up on the little ones, I love ms and hs too but these little guys are SO wonderful!!!! Give them a chance to show you and listen to their original perspective, it can be precious.
          Cathy in SD

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2006
            Hi Nancy,

            It took me a few years to cut down on my classroom behavior too, the secret for me was
            clear steps for directions. I post the steps on the board with visuals. I go over the steps at
            least 3 times also, and keep to under 8 steps per class (including write your name on the
            back, etc.), much less for younger kids The kids acting out usually don't really know what
            to do so they stick with what they know- being "naughty". My students are always
            checking the board for what's next, it really helps those slow processers and builds
            literacy and independence. You are used to older students that have mastered basic
            skills- today some kids never have the chance to work with scissors or paint at home
            because it is messy- they really need a chance to build these skills in art class. My advice
            is stick to the basics and thay will have a blast. Keep your expectations clear and behavior
            will improve. Praise to the classroom students taht are behaving, catch naughty kids
            doing something good before they fall into their old routine and keep them busy with jobs
            (scrap patrol is a good one). Celebrate the magic of this age -where the art is free and
            pure. I read a lot of books and do lessons inspired by them- that might work well for you
            too, like read Where the Wild Things Are and have students draw a creature with visual
            texture- you could do that with all your grades and they'll all love it. Your students are
            still trying to test you and get to know you at the same time- they've had art what a dozen
            times so far this year? I must be hard to know their names! Assigned tables with name
            tags might help you too. Keep going- before you know it your teching mind will shift to
            primary grades, your closet will get more colorful and you'll know what Yu Gi Oh!
            characters have the most life points- then it will be summer vacation! ALI
          • Mikel Lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2006
              Nancy,
              I can identify with your story 100%. I was a very
              happy and successful high school teacher for 6 years
              and i had to move and the job i took was elementary. I
              am on my second year at the elementary and I am
              enjoying it much more, I am still HS at heart though.

              I felt lost and like a big loser last year. I cried a
              lot because simple things like getting the kids to
              listen and line up at the end of class were eating my
              lunch and the other teachers were not very nice. I
              switched to choice based art education. I joined the
              Teaching for Artistic Behavior yahoo group and I have
              met the best and most supportive people on their list.
              It is a reseach based method of teaching where the
              student is the center of the classroom and it has
              changed my life and my students are very happy. You
              can read more about it on knowledgeloom.org and the
              people on the TAB list will be happy to discuss the
              whole thing.

              Sincerely,
              Mikel in OK

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • bauers@harrisburg.k12.mo.us
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2006
                > Wonderful art teachers,
                > I wanted to introduce myself a little & hopefully get some
                > feedback & info. I have taught art 13 years, all but 1 were in
                > middle & high school. I had an almost PERFECT job at a fantastic
                > high school, but had to move. The only opening in the new city was
                > elementary, so I took it because our family needed to be closer to
                > our families & church. Our school is all modules (portables) until a
                > new one is built. We are on a 9 day rotation, pre k- 5, 5 classes
                > daily, 50 minutes each.
                > What a change for me! I have plenty of lesson ideas, but I am
                > learning that I have to teach much differently, that even the
                > simplest things some kids can't do. I have a hard time with
                > kindergarten- keeping their attention, following directions. I could
                > really use help on:
                >
                > * disruptive students besides time out, because usually in time
                > out the student behaves worse! I tried a copy the rules lesson and
                > was told I could not use it. Even harder, what to use with k-1st
                > grade for discipline. I try to use rewards- stickers, stamps etc-
                > sometimes they work, but meanwhile I am going broke!
                > *organization & storage in a portable
                > *best books & resources for es level
                > *ideas for classes that are 1/2 regular & 1/2 ESE- (32 in class)
                > *clean up ideas
                > *art club ideas
                > *nifty but not too messy ideas for bigger classes
                > *how to get glue bottles to work- or buy new ones?
                > *how to get classroom teacher's help
                > Anything would be great! Meanwhile I am praying a ms or hs job
                > becomes available!
                > THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!
                > Nancy in Florida
                >

                > Nancy,

                I feel for you! I teach k-12 and find elementary the biggest challenge,
                particularly kindergarten! I got the k-1 classes changed from 50 minutes
                to 30. 50 is WAY too long for kindergarten to pay attention. If you
                can't do that read a book, do an art project and then have some sort of
                physical activity (not necessarily in that order). Keep them as busy as
                you can to help with the discipline--which is a problem becuase of their
                short attention span. I do instructions step by step with the younger
                kids one direction at a time, it helps. Good luck with the classroom
                teachers help, I've had very little they don't want to be bothered on
                their break. I make students come in during recess, but that works for me
                because of the time of the recesses--it doesn't interfere with my large
                classes.

                Susan in MO