RE: [art_education] Quality of work

  • Kristi Gilleland
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
      YES!

      I am having trouble with my son's grammar in the movies & animations and even labeled drawings that he is making.  Some of his art is very sloppy too- I KNOW he can do better.

      Some of it, I think, will have to come as he gets more comfortable with his technical & fine motor skills, but the rest I think is going to have to come from my insistence and nagging.

      The thing that I think is important though, for both of us, is that he doesn't let sloppiness become a habit.

      -K.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
        Larry - that's some wonderful sentiments - and I totally agree with everything you've said.
        You sound like a wonderful teacher.  :)
        -Kristi

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
          When I first started teaching, over thirty years ago, the students were doing some mediocre work and Iwould try to push them...but to no avail.  Well I had nine weeks classesand a couple of groups of all year classes.  At the New Year, maybe I'm a slow learner, new kids came anad just wowed me with their work and work ethic.  My expectations had been too low!  I thought, "poor babies, this is just the best they can do!"  After one project everyone improved tremendously!  I felt so bad for letting them slide!
          Becky
        • ebonygirlp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
            I have that problem as well with students rushing to get done. A blessed few will give you a little of what you are looking for. Some students take art only because it is required and it is a challenge to get them really involved. When I did an activity on creating their own comic book for the 5th 6th & 7th grade students showed a lot of interest.

            Edna J. Patterson-Petty

            When words are too deep, try art therapy

            http://fabricswork.com
          • piketeach@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
              Rubics, Rubrics,Rubrics; you can find many through this site and its links.  Make them read them and make decisions on their own (you don't have to agree). It takes a whole bunch of time but it's worthwhile. You'll usually find that they are much harder on themselves than you'll ever be.

              Another option is to work on a point system rather than a letter grade.  A  2 out of 10 is a lot worse than an "F", the key is to allow them to redo the assignment on ther own time to raise their grade.

              Terry