Re: Quality of work

  • pent19
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
      How about making teacher samples and showing the steps to get there.
      Students make simply not know how to make quality work or what
      craftsmanship is. I just finished a clay project with Studio students
      and focused on craftsmanship. I showed them how to blend and smooth
      and how to get rid of "clay boogers" that are left behind after
      carving into the surface. I let them know that a sharp edge could hurt
      someone where as a beveled edge looks better and won't hurt anyone.
      Same could go for fingerprints and smudges, dog-eared corners on work.
      I also include craftsmanship/quality when grading. Having the
      aforementioned will affect to overall grade, just like an artwork in
      the musuem.
      Michele NY

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "tmwillis72" <tmwillis72@...> wrote:

      > I have noticed that my students work doesn't have the quality or
      > craftsmanship I would like. I am at a loss on how to get them to
      > produce better work. They just scribble and rush through.
      >
      > Is anyone having the same experience.
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Tammy

    • wanda smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
        Many times the age of the student has a lot to do with the quality
        too. I teach 8th and 9th graders and they are all about instant
        satisfaction. I really have to stress the importance of neatness and
        craftsmanship to them especially the guys. They come to us from the
        middle school where they have art once a week but do NOT receive a
        grade for their work, an enrichment class, so they think they have to
        rush to get things finished. It takes me several months to get
        through to them and some never get it. I use the following grading
        rubric:
        20 points each:
        following directins
        creativity/orginality
        working to potential
        staying on task
        turning in on time(if turned in late due to wasting time 20 points
        deducted)
        (if absent or a meticulous worker I still count off for lateness but
        adjust accordingly)
        Wanda

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "pent19" <pent19@...> wrote:

        > How about making teacher samples and showing the steps to get there.
        > Students make simply not know how to make quality work or what
        > craftsmanship is. I just finished a clay project with Studio
        students
        > and focused on craftsmanship. I showed them how to blend and smooth
        > and how to get rid of "clay boogers" that are left behind after
        > carving into the surface. I let them know that a sharp edge could
        hurt
        > someone where as a beveled edge looks better and won't hurt anyone.
        > Same could go for fingerprints and smudges, dog-eared corners on
        work.
        > I also include craftsmanship/quality when grading. Having the
        > aforementioned will affect to overall grade, just like an artwork in
        > the musuem.
        > Michele NY
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "tmwillis72" <tmwillis72@>
        wrote:

        > > I have noticed that my students work doesn't have the quality or
        > > craftsmanship I would like. I am at a loss on how to get them to
        > > produce better work. They just scribble and rush through.
        > >
        > > Is anyone having the same experience.
        > >
        > > Thanks for your help.
        > >
        > > Tammy

      • Kristi Gilleland
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
          YES!

          I am having trouble with my son's grammar in the movies & animations and even labeled drawings that he is making.  Some of his art is very sloppy too- I KNOW he can do better.

          Some of it, I think, will have to come as he gets more comfortable with his technical & fine motor skills, but the rest I think is going to have to come from my insistence and nagging.

          The thing that I think is important though, for both of us, is that he doesn't let sloppiness become a habit.

          -K.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
            Larry - that's some wonderful sentiments - and I totally agree with everything you've said.
            You sound like a wonderful teacher.  :)
            -Kristi

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
              When I first started teaching, over thirty years ago, the students were doing some mediocre work and Iwould try to push them...but to no avail.  Well I had nine weeks classesand a couple of groups of all year classes.  At the New Year, maybe I'm a slow learner, new kids came anad just wowed me with their work and work ethic.  My expectations had been too low!  I thought, "poor babies, this is just the best they can do!"  After one project everyone improved tremendously!  I felt so bad for letting them slide!
              Becky
            • ebonygirlp@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                I have that problem as well with students rushing to get done. A blessed few will give you a little of what you are looking for. Some students take art only because it is required and it is a challenge to get them really involved. When I did an activity on creating their own comic book for the 5th 6th & 7th grade students showed a lot of interest.

                Edna J. Patterson-Petty

                When words are too deep, try art therapy

                http://fabricswork.com
              • piketeach@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Rubics, Rubrics,Rubrics; you can find many through this site and its links.  Make them read them and make decisions on their own (you don't have to agree). It takes a whole bunch of time but it's worthwhile. You'll usually find that they are much harder on themselves than you'll ever be.

                  Another option is to work on a point system rather than a letter grade.  A  2 out of 10 is a lot worse than an "F", the key is to allow them to redo the assignment on ther own time to raise their grade.

                  Terry