Re:Quality of work

  • LarrySeiler
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
      sometimes it can certainly be discouraging...
      Teaching K-12 you see ages of kids and classes where one group working hard
      will seem in a couple years to apparently care less. Talking to the
      classroom/homeroom teacher sometimes helps you beat up on yourself a bit
      less. Sometimes developing interests in boy/girl things are going
      on...sports, the playground, at home.

      I think life offers many distractions and confusing messages, and we compete
      with McWorld to place emphasis that something can matter so much as to
      mandate our attention.

      I push...I mentor by example as an artist...but I am also human, and have
      been discouraged of late for other reasons.

      I saw from CBS news this past week that statistically right now 1 out of 32
      adults in America is in prison, on parole, or probation. Then we ended the
      week with an inservice on "Carefrontation" ...one more strategy on getting a
      handle on classroom management. We see things that are falling apart in
      society, but are as teachers expected to fix in the classroom.

      Its about caring, and getting kids to care...but I see two problems...both
      can be put forth by acronyms...

      one is...
      "kids don't care what you know until they know you care"

      and two...
      "the heart of the problem, is the problem of the heart"

      I see that the growing "Golden Rule" today for many teens is- "its not
      wrong if you don't get caught"

      Society seems to reward this idea. Parents are role modeling it...and
      somewhere in there we are attempting to put emphasis that bringing a right
      attitude (or the one we want) is important when its art making time. The
      rest of the world is going many different directions, "H__ in a hand basket"
      as they say...but in my room...HERE is what matters!!!

      It is frustrating isn't it!

      Kids that ask if they can do the simplest easiest thing to do...("will this
      be easy?") and my response which throws them off guard is...."yeah...you're
      right, too easy! I wouldn't do it either!" or...in wanting to be done with
      a work..."Is this good enough?" and I respond, "sure...no problem. Here is
      your grade." to their..."Whhhaaaaaat? ...you're giving me a D grade?"
      ....and I then end with, "sure, isn't a D...(pause for emphasis) GOOD
      ENOUGH?"

      Hang in there...model excellence. Find joy in those students that are
      demonstrating growth, positive change. Keep at it!

      Larry
    • pent19
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
        How about making teacher samples and showing the steps to get there.
        Students make simply not know how to make quality work or what
        craftsmanship is. I just finished a clay project with Studio students
        and focused on craftsmanship. I showed them how to blend and smooth
        and how to get rid of "clay boogers" that are left behind after
        carving into the surface. I let them know that a sharp edge could hurt
        someone where as a beveled edge looks better and won't hurt anyone.
        Same could go for fingerprints and smudges, dog-eared corners on work.
        I also include craftsmanship/quality when grading. Having the
        aforementioned will affect to overall grade, just like an artwork in
        the musuem.
        Michele NY

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "tmwillis72" <tmwillis72@...> wrote:

        > I have noticed that my students work doesn't have the quality or
        > craftsmanship I would like. I am at a loss on how to get them to
        > produce better work. They just scribble and rush through.
        >
        > Is anyone having the same experience.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Tammy

      • wanda smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
          Many times the age of the student has a lot to do with the quality
          too. I teach 8th and 9th graders and they are all about instant
          satisfaction. I really have to stress the importance of neatness and
          craftsmanship to them especially the guys. They come to us from the
          middle school where they have art once a week but do NOT receive a
          grade for their work, an enrichment class, so they think they have to
          rush to get things finished. It takes me several months to get
          through to them and some never get it. I use the following grading
          rubric:
          20 points each:
          following directins
          creativity/orginality
          working to potential
          staying on task
          turning in on time(if turned in late due to wasting time 20 points
          deducted)
          (if absent or a meticulous worker I still count off for lateness but
          adjust accordingly)
          Wanda

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "pent19" <pent19@...> wrote:

          > How about making teacher samples and showing the steps to get there.
          > Students make simply not know how to make quality work or what
          > craftsmanship is. I just finished a clay project with Studio
          students
          > and focused on craftsmanship. I showed them how to blend and smooth
          > and how to get rid of "clay boogers" that are left behind after
          > carving into the surface. I let them know that a sharp edge could
          hurt
          > someone where as a beveled edge looks better and won't hurt anyone.
          > Same could go for fingerprints and smudges, dog-eared corners on
          work.
          > I also include craftsmanship/quality when grading. Having the
          > aforementioned will affect to overall grade, just like an artwork in
          > the musuem.
          > Michele NY
          >
          > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "tmwillis72" <tmwillis72@>
          wrote:

          > > I have noticed that my students work doesn't have the quality or
          > > craftsmanship I would like. I am at a loss on how to get them to
          > > produce better work. They just scribble and rush through.
          > >
          > > Is anyone having the same experience.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Tammy

        • Kristi Gilleland
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
            YES!

            I am having trouble with my son's grammar in the movies & animations and even labeled drawings that he is making.  Some of his art is very sloppy too- I KNOW he can do better.

            Some of it, I think, will have to come as he gets more comfortable with his technical & fine motor skills, but the rest I think is going to have to come from my insistence and nagging.

            The thing that I think is important though, for both of us, is that he doesn't let sloppiness become a habit.

            -K.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
              Larry - that's some wonderful sentiments - and I totally agree with everything you've said.
              You sound like a wonderful teacher.  :)
              -Kristi

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                When I first started teaching, over thirty years ago, the students were doing some mediocre work and Iwould try to push them...but to no avail.  Well I had nine weeks classesand a couple of groups of all year classes.  At the New Year, maybe I'm a slow learner, new kids came anad just wowed me with their work and work ethic.  My expectations had been too low!  I thought, "poor babies, this is just the best they can do!"  After one project everyone improved tremendously!  I felt so bad for letting them slide!
                Becky
              • ebonygirlp@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                  I have that problem as well with students rushing to get done. A blessed few will give you a little of what you are looking for. Some students take art only because it is required and it is a challenge to get them really involved. When I did an activity on creating their own comic book for the 5th 6th & 7th grade students showed a lot of interest.

                  Edna J. Patterson-Petty

                  When words are too deep, try art therapy

                  http://fabricswork.com
                • piketeach@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Rubics, Rubrics,Rubrics; you can find many through this site and its links.  Make them read them and make decisions on their own (you don't have to agree). It takes a whole bunch of time but it's worthwhile. You'll usually find that they are much harder on themselves than you'll ever be.

                    Another option is to work on a point system rather than a letter grade.  A  2 out of 10 is a lot worse than an "F", the key is to allow them to redo the assignment on ther own time to raise their grade.

                    Terry