Re: Metal embossing

  • littleredhenschool
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
      Pie and pot pie tins, and Stouffer's frozen entree tins
      (rectangular) work well, too... and with these, you have a ready-
      made "frame" for the picture, or you can snip it off.

      -julie
      HomeschoolDiner.com

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Michael"
      <chemicalmango@...> wrote:

      > When I did this project I cut the sheets into small 4x6 sheets. It
      still cost a bit. One site I saw suggested using heavy aluminum
      foil. A cheap option ...Ask the cafeteria to save you the lids from
      the lids from frozen lasagna meals. Ask Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or
      other craft store to sponsor your project. Susan M.

      brass, or whatever...). What kind do you guys order? Where do you
      order it from?

      > Sarah Coullard
      > Grand Rapids, MI
      >

      > .

    • John Bundy
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
        When I taught elementary art I used Throw away Aluminum Pie Pans. To Make Angels for Christmas I used 3 and 1/2 pans. Recycled from the Thanksgiving pies.We would cut out the flat circle. WATCH THE SHARP EDGES. Cut one circle in half make a cone shape for skirt or body, the other half we made a head with long hair this was attached to the seam on the back of cone or skirt. We folded next circle to make wings. The next circle we made a large radial halo . the other half circle we made arms. Use liquid nails or hot glue gun to assemble.  Emboss all metal parts before gluing. We used pencils to emboss and an open phonebook to back the metal. Don't forget you can emboss both sides. Best order to glue Make cone skirt glue seam. glue arms to seam at top of cone, glue head on back of arms chin just above point of cone. next glue wings behind shoulder area . last glue center of halo to back of head. halo is in a vertical position. I hope the attached image helps. Merry Christmas    John Bundy Highland High School Anderson, Indiana. I see you are from Grand Rapids My Wife is Director of Admissions at Western Michigan U. Kalamazoo
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
          John!
          What a great lesson!
          I may do it.
          Do you have any pics of completed ones by chance?
          Brenda
        • K Olson
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
            I buy rolls of tooling foil from NASCO.  It comes in aluminum, copper, and brass in different lengths. A 12inch roll, 25 feet long is $13.

            I use it for masks, Christmas ornaments, and texture and pattern projects.  I used it this week to make textured fish.  It cuts with scissors, but holds it's shape.  Permanent markers work nice for adding color.

            http://www.enasco.com

            Go to the Arts and Crafts Catalog and search for tooling foil.

            Kathy Olson

          • Rivka Kehaty
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
              >>>Bless all of you who have to travel to your students from room to room, whether it be on a cart or not. Teaching is challenging enough without having to carry your own water and water bucket>>>

              Kelli I completely agree with you.  My heart went out to everyone on a cart, lugging their water and buckets up flights of steps!

              I had my own art room last year and it was heaven!  But, I started this year off with the principal saying, "Gee, I don't know where we'll put you this year.  Hmmmm??"  Did not inspire confidence in me.

              It was decided to put me in the library.  Would sound okay, but the room is in the process of recovery and reorganization after Hurricane Katrina flooded our school.  We have a (wonderful) volunteer who is working hard in there, but I feel like an intruder.  She works there
              while I teach my class.  It's weird having another adult in the room with us.

              The students do their art on a very large, very expensive (donated) and pristine wood conference table and it is surrounded by chairs upholstered in *white!* brocade.  So every beginning of class I have to move the white upholstered chairs to the wall (turned around to protect from splatters) and the students drag in chairs that are stored outside the classroom.

              The fancy table must be double covered to protect it.  A student has already (accidently) added a scratch from a needleworking project!

              I also lug water jugs into class, but I am so grateful to just have to walk down the school hallway with it and not up flights of steps like some of you!

              I don't have a cart, so I have a cardboard box that I carry my supplies home in when I leave for the day.  I also bring home the students work because there is no where to store it.

              Thanks for "listening".  I am not even ranting or complaining, just putting in my experience this year while I teach art.  I am the happiest in the classroom and love every minute of it-- even with all the inconveniences!

              Rivka

            • Kris Fontes
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                Take a look at the metal etching of Linda Wood's students  at http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Linda-jewelry.htm I have done this with my middle school students and the work they produce is awesome.
                Kris Fontes
                Northwest Pa

              • kamla ravikumar
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Hi,

                  Where can I get more information about a simple project in metal embossing for students?
                  I can sourse the materials but I need a step-by-step method for a simple lesson.

                  Thanks,
                  Kamla

                • kamla ravikumar
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                    Thanks for the link to the metal embossing lesson.It was useful information.

                    Kamla