Re: [art_education] designing board games

  • Valerie Pientka
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2006
      Thanks Holly, I appreciate the help. Val in IL

      >From: "Holly Kincaid" <hkincaid@...>
      >To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [art_education] designing board games
      >Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:55:28 -0600
      >
      >Many years ago, I worked with a 4th grade teacher on designing board
      >games to go with a story the kids were reading in English. I had the
      >students look at a variety of board games and we discussed the main
      >theme of the game. For example whether the game was a trivia game, card,
      >logical, adventure, interactive fiction or role playing.
      >The kids discussed rules of the game or directions.
      >
      >Once they had an "overview" of different types of games we used a few
      >as our main inspiration. With several different board games for examples
      >the kids were divided into groups to create games. As teams they created
      >the board, cards, pieces, or other elements of the game. Directions had
      >to be clear and there needed to be an explanation of how the game would
      >be won. After they finished their games the teams practiced playing
      >their game and then presented it to the class. The teams rotated around
      >the room playing each others games. This would be a wonderful
      >opportunity for kids to have a rubric to critic all the games and see
      >which game was the most fun, unique, creative or had the best design.
      >
      >This web site might also be of interest:
      >http://edweb.sdsu.edu/Courses/EDTEC670/boardgame/BoardGameDesign1.html
      >
      >Holly Bess Kincaid
      >Art Lady
      >Robinson Elementary
      >hkincaid@...
      >
      >"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once
      >we grow up. "
      >Pablo Picasso
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Microsoft Office Live
    • Greg Hogan
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2009
        I have painted murals for our school and I used the back side of masonite boards.  They have the texture that paint adheres to and they are lightweight. Much lighter than plywood.  Just prime them first.  They can be easily hung because of the lightness.  Hope this helps.
        GHogan