RE: [art_education] Chihuly Dick Blick Lesson

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

      I have not done this, but I’d check your water temp. – maybe it was not hot enough or too hot.  Hope this helps!

      Jan

      I was all set up to do this for a Christmas ornament possibly or maybe just a christmas gift for the student's moms, etc.  But when I tried it, the plastic paper just sat there!
      WHat did I do wrong?  Has anyone tried this????

      Stuck now w/out a Christmas lesson

      Brenda

      http://www.dickblic k.com/lessonplan s/2006chihuly/

    • Tanya Riehle
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
        Re: [art_education] Chihuly Dick Blick Lesson I had the same problem!!!  I followed the steps to a t!!!  Water temp was perfect, I even tried it hotter and I couldn’t get it to work if my life depended on it.  So I scrapped the project.  Is there anyone out there that has gotten it to work.  I thought the project would be very good to use in my drawing and design class.  I thought I would use it along with his website.

        Tanya
      • bruthrobson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
          well my temp was right because I have an electic skillet.  The instructions said no hotter or we'd have dangerous fumes.
          The plastic just sat there, coulldn't be molded
        • bruthrobson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
            I feel like asking for my money back!!!
            Brenda
          • Hillmer, Jan
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

              Ask for a refund!

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
                I just did, we'll see.
                THanks ALL!
                Brenda

                Tanya you ought to also....
              • Grace Hall
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
                  I bought the supplies just to experiment with but they're still in the
                  box. I just haven't had the time to try it out. Please post the
                  information again if Dick Blick has a solution to the problem because I
                  don't want to give up hope!
                • Tanya Riehle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Re: [art_education] Re: Chihuly Dick Blick Lesson
                    Ok, I think I replied to the earlier email, but I never go it, my computer does not like the new yahoo.  Any whoooo.....  I couldn’t get the Chihuly to work either, I spent over 2 hours trying to figure it out, I also called dick blick who transferred me to the lesson plan department, the lady who wrote the lesson was not there.   I tried everything, hotter, colder you name it!!!!!

                    Also, has anyone seen the School Art Nov. 2006 lesson with Xu Bing?  I am doing it in multiple classes, printmaking are doing lino cuts of their names, adv. Printmaking are writing haikus and creating screen prints out of them.  Painting is doing a watercolor landscape with their names.  I am going a bit overboard, but I’m trying to figure out which works the best and so I can incorporate into drawing and design.

                    I will let you know the results.

                    One more thing......I haven’t written in a while.  I did used the tessellation lesson plan and created tessellations in printmaking with polymer clay, they turned out very nice.  They had to create A LOT of prints and put them display them in some way.  Here is the link:

                    http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=60695

                    Tanya

                    PS, Judy will you let me know if this posted????
                  • Kris Fontes
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
                      I attended a Blick workshop last year at the Pennsylvania Art Ed Association conference and was very disappointed in the materials for the Chihuly lesson. I think Blick should rethink this one.

[...]

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • Ken Rohrer
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                        Grace,

                        You might post your question in our forums. An
                        employee of Dick Blick is a member and might read it.

                        Ken

                        -----------------------------

                        Re: Chihuly Dick Blick Lesson
                        Posted by: "Grace Hall" hallg@...
                        Mon Dec 4, 2006 7:41 am (PST)

                        I bought the supplies just to experiment with but
                        they're still in the box. I just haven't had the time
                        to try it out. Please post the information again if
                        Dick Blick has a solution to the problem because I
                        don't want to give up hope!

                        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                      • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                          Re: [art_education] Re: Chihuly Dick Blick Lesson Just call Dick Blick’s company on the phone and let them know the problem. I’m sure they’ll fix it and send you a new product to replace the wasted one. Maybe they don’t eve k now something is wrong....

                          On  12/5/06 5:42 AM,  Ken Rohrer  kenroar@...  emailed:

                          Grace,

                          You might post your question in our forums. An
                          employee of Dick Blick is a member and might read it.

                          Ken

                          Re: Chihuly Dick Blick Lesson
                          Posted by: "Grace Hall" hallg@... <mailto:hallg%40wilkes.k12.nc.us>
                          Mon Dec 4, 2006 7:41 am (PST)