Art teacher on a cart for the first time.

  • daughertyjm79
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
      Last school year my husband and I made a decision to move closer to
      our family which meant saying good bye to my classroom. I took a job
      in St. Louis city and when I asked about a room, they skated the
      issue. It ended up that I did not get a room. So now I have to adjust
      my way of teaching because I am not in my own environment. I am making
      progress, but I want to start painting. How do I do that? Some of the
      teachers are also not very fond of messes, and I know that should not
      let that bother me, but it does. Any advice any of you have about
      teaching art from a cart let me know. I could really use the help.

      Thanks!

      Jill in St. Louis
    • Robin Singer
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
        Hi Jill, I am on a cart in three out of the four schools that I teach at....its a pain but doable....anyway my cart is very organized.....no time in between my classes ranging from 2-5.  I have all the paints, mixing trays, etc. to prepare for the lessons....you just need to train those kids how to clean up..my teachers complain about space to dry the artwork.....so the school purchased some and i rotate classes quickly changing the wet to dry work....you can also cover their desks with newspaper before working....delegate to the kids they love to help:) robin

      • Smth06192000@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
          My itinerant is on the cart for all her classes. She uses the Alphacolor tempera cake sets--they have a lid. They go on beautifully--they are rich and dark and quite opaque. Water is put in yogurt containers with the lids on them--the paint dries quickly so unless a child is gobbing it on--they dry by the end of a class.

          Maria--Virginia
        • Kristi Gilleland
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006

            My son is 10 and he's been learning flash the last couple of months.  We've been using Flash 5.0 Classroom in a book, but we are not through yet.

            This is his first solo completed and published movie.

            I do think it is time for a digitizer tablet for him, as currently he is drawing with a mouse.

            Anyway, I wanted to show it off.  I think it is a good beginning.  I was glad to see him using some cell shading in the green link guy.  The file size is only 100 kb which I was extremely proud of.

            Anyway, just wanted to share!

            -Kristi Gilleland
          • Lisa Fishbein
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
              I actually do not have a room and I don't use a cart - four floors - no
              elevators - 2 minutes between classes. When I paint, we newspaper the
              tables, I carry a water bottle full of water (not every class has a sink)
              and a bucket for dumping the water in - that way just one or two students
              can go rinse in the slop sinks that are in the halls. When I paint, I use
              muffin tins and cupcake liners to hold the paint and just carry the paint
              bottles in a large plastic double basket with a handle. At the end of the
              session, I just dump the cupcake liners with the paint. For hand washing, I
              ask the classes to bring baby wipes - just have them clean their hands first
              and then any spots on their desks that may have gotten a little messy. Best
              of luck to you.

              >From: "daughertyjm79" <daughertyjm79@...>
              >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [art_education] Art teacher on a cart for the first time.
              >Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:03:56 -0000
              >
              >Last school year my husband and I made a decision to move closer to
              >our family which meant saying good bye to my classroom. I took a job
              >in St. Louis city and when I asked about a room, they skated the
              >issue. It ended up that I did not get a room. So now I have to adjust
              >my way of teaching because I am not in my own environment. I am making
              >progress, but I want to start painting. How do I do that? Some of the
              >teachers are also not very fond of messes, and I know that should not
              >let that bother me, but it does. Any advice any of you have about
              >teaching art from a cart let me know. I could really use the help.
              >
              >Thanks!
              >
              >Jill in St. Louis

              age, and price. Try it!
            • littleredhenschool
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                My ds12 recognized Link and the Triforce right away :-) He says way
                cool! ;-)

                -julie
                HomeschoolDiner.com

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi Gilleland" <ebay@...>
                wrote:

                > http://www.axtonsage.com/flash/flash.html
                >
                > My son is 10 and he's been learning flash the last couple of
                months. We've
                > been using Flash 5.0 Classroom in a book, but we are not through
                yet.

                > This is his first solo completed and published movie.
                >
                > I do think it is time for a digitizer tablet for him, as currently
                he is
                > drawing with a mouse.
                >
                > Anyway, I wanted to show it off. I think it is a good beginning.
                I was
                > glad to see him using some cell shading in the green link guy.
                The file
                > size is only 100 kb which I was extremely proud of.
                >
                > Anyway, just wanted to share!
                >
                > -Kristi Gilleland

              • Sarah Coullard
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                  I want my 7/8 graders to do some embossing on metal (copper, brass, or whatever...).  What kind do you guys order?  Where do you order it from?

                  Sarah Coullard
                  Grand Rapids, MI
                • Sarah Coullard
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                    I have really enjoyed reading all of your replies about winter art--so many great ideas!!

                    Thanks for all of your help :-)

                    Sarah C.
                    Grand Rapids, MI
                  • Ken Rohrer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                      Wow! My son turns 10 in 2 weeks. I am going to show
                      him this and hope it motivates him a little.

                      Ken Rohrer
                      ---------------------

                      My son's first Flash movie
                      Posted by: "Kristi Gilleland"
                      ebay@... tlvmmbshb
                      Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:33 pm (PST)
                      http://www.axtonsag e.com/flash/ flash.html

                      My son is 10 and he's been learning flash the last
                      couple of months. We've
                      been using Flash 5.0 Classroom in a book, but we are
                      not through yet.

                      This is his first solo completed and published movie.

                      I do think it is time for a digitizer tablet for him,
                      as currently he is
                      drawing with a mouse.

                      Anyway, I wanted to show it off. I think it is a good
                      beginning. I was
                      glad to see him using some cell shading in the green
                      link guy. The file
                      size is only 100 kb which I was extremely proud of.

                      Anyway, just wanted to share!

                      -Kristi Gilleland

                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                    • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                        Re: [art_education] Re:My son's first Flash movie http://www.axtonsage.com/flash/flash.html

                        This is an impressive work!
                        Do you know if there’s a free download for Flash 5.0? Mac?

                        On  11/30/06 9:26 AM,  Ken Rohrer  kenroar@...  emailed:

                        Wow! My son turns 10 in 2 weeks. I am going to show
                        him this and hope it motivates him a little.

                        Ken Rohrer
                        ---------------------

                        My son's first Flash movie
                        Posted by: "Kristi Gilleland"
                        ebay@... <mailto:ebay%40billieellisonterry.com>    tlvmmbshb
                        Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:33 pm (PST)

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                          No, I don't.  However, at this time it is such an old cranky version that you can get it on ebay fairly cheap - and the academic version is not nearly as expensive as the retail version.  Also, the books for Flash 5 are cheap now, so that's another good thing about using an old version.

                          Adobe bought Flash and I've not seen the new version.   DS is getting very good with photoshop also so it should all translate.

                          Adobe owning it can't be anything but good.  Its nice to see some of the tools more standardized.

                          -Kristi

                          Do you know if there’s a free download for Flash 5.0? Mac?

                          On  11/30/06 9:26 AM,  Ken Rohrer  kenroar@yahoo. com  emailed:

                          Wow! My son turns 10 in 2 weeks. I am going to show
                          him this and hope it motivates him a little.

                          Ken Rohrer
                          ------------ ---------

                          My son's first Flash movie
                          Posted by: "Kristi Gilleland"
                          ebay@billieellisont erry.com <mailto:ebay% 40billieellisont erry.com>    tlvmmbshb
                          Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:33 pm (PST)
                          http://www.axtonsag e.com/flash/ flash.html

                          My son is 10 and he's been learning flash the last
                          couple of months. We've
                          been using Flash 5.0 Classroom in a book, but we are
                          not through yet.

                          This is his first solo completed and published movie.

                          I do think it is time for a digitizer tablet for him,
                          as currently he is
                          drawing with a mouse.

                          Anyway, I wanted to show it off. I think it is a good
                          beginning. I was
                          glad to see him using some cell shading in the green
                          link guy. The file
                          size is only 100 kb which I was extremely proud of.

                          Anyway, just wanted to share!

                          -Kristi Gilleland

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                          http://new.mail. yahoo.com

                        • Kelli Wilke
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
                            Bless all of you who have to travel to your students from room to room, whether it be on a cart or not.  Teaching is challenging enough without having to carry your own water and water bucket!  Next time I want to complain about something in my room, I'll hold my tongue and think of you guys!  Don't lose that passion for what you do because that is obviously what you have!

                            Kelli in NE

                            Lisa Fishbein <lmfishbein@...> wrote:
                            I actually do not have a room and I don't use a cart - four floors - no
                            elevators - 2 minutes between classes. When I paint, we newspaper the
                            tables, I carry a water bottle full of water (not every class has a sink)
                            and a bucket for dumping the water in - that way just one or two students
                            can go rinse in the slop sinks that are in the halls. When I paint, I use
                            muffin tins and cupcake liners to hold the paint and just carry the paint
                            bottles in a large plastic double basket with a handle. At the end of the
                            session, I just dump the cupcake liners with the paint. For hand washing, I
                            ask the classes to bring baby wipes - just have them clean their hands first
                            and then any spots on their desks that may have gotten a little messy. Best
                            of luck to you.

                            >From: "daughertyjm79" <daughertyjm79@ yahoo.com>
                            >To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com
                            >Subject: [art_education] Art teacher on a cart for the first time.
                            >Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:03:56 -0000
                            >
                            >Last school year my husband and I made a decision to move closer to
                            >our family which meant saying good bye to my classroom. I took a job
                            >in St. Louis city and when I asked about a room, they skated the
                            >issue. It ended up that I did not get a room. So now I have to adjust
                            >my way of teaching because I am not in my own environment. I am making
                            >progress, but I want to start painting. How do I do that? Some of the
                            >teachers are also not very fond of messes, and I know that should not
                            >let that bother me, but it does. Any advice any of you have about
                            >teaching art from a cart let me know. I could really use the help.
                            >
                            >Thanks!
                            >
                            >Jill in St. Louis

                            age, and price. Try it!
                            http://shopping. msn.com/content/ shp/?ctId= 8000,ptnrid= 176,ptnrdata= 200601&tcode= wlmtagline

                          • Susan Michael
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
                              When I did this project I cut the sheets into small 4x6 sheets. It still cost a bit. One site I saw suggested using heavy aluminum foil. A cheap option ...Ask the cafeteria to save you the lids from the lids from frozen lasagna meals. Ask Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or other craft store to sponsor your project. Susan M.
                              I want my 7/8 graders to do some embossing on metal (copper, brass, or whatever...) .  What kind do you guys order?  Where do you order it from?

                              Sarah Coullard
                              Grand Rapids, MI

                              .
                            • littleredhenschool
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Pie and pot pie tins, and Stouffer's frozen entree tins
                                (rectangular) work well, too... and with these, you have a ready-
                                made "frame" for the picture, or you can snip it off.

                                -julie
                                HomeschoolDiner.com

                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Michael"
                                <chemicalmango@...> wrote:

                                > When I did this project I cut the sheets into small 4x6 sheets. It
                                still cost a bit. One site I saw suggested using heavy aluminum
                                foil. A cheap option ...Ask the cafeteria to save you the lids from
                                the lids from frozen lasagna meals. Ask Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or
                                other craft store to sponsor your project. Susan M.

                              • John Bundy
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                  When I taught elementary art I used Throw away Aluminum Pie Pans. To Make Angels for Christmas I used 3 and 1/2 pans. Recycled from the Thanksgiving pies.We would cut out the flat circle. WATCH THE SHARP EDGES. Cut one circle in half make a cone shape for skirt or body, the other half we made a head with long hair this was attached to the seam on the back of cone or skirt. We folded next circle to make wings. The next circle we made a large radial halo . the other half circle we made arms. Use liquid nails or hot glue gun to assemble.  Emboss all metal parts before gluing. We used pencils to emboss and an open phonebook to back the metal. Don't forget you can emboss both sides. Best order to glue Make cone skirt glue seam. glue arms to seam at top of cone, glue head on back of arms chin just above point of cone. next glue wings behind shoulder area . last glue center of halo to back of head. halo is in a vertical position. I hope the attached image helps. Merry Christmas    John Bundy Highland High School Anderson, Indiana. I see you are from Grand Rapids My Wife is Director of Admissions at Western Michigan U. Kalamazoo
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                    John!
                                    What a great lesson!
                                    I may do it.
                                    Do you have any pics of completed ones by chance?
                                    Brenda
                                  • K Olson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                      I buy rolls of tooling foil from NASCO.  It comes in aluminum, copper, and brass in different lengths. A 12inch roll, 25 feet long is $13.

                                      I use it for masks, Christmas ornaments, and texture and pattern projects.  I used it this week to make textured fish.  It cuts with scissors, but holds it's shape.  Permanent markers work nice for adding color.

                                      http://www.enasco.com

                                      Go to the Arts and Crafts Catalog and search for tooling foil.

                                      Kathy Olson

                                    • Rivka Kehaty
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                        >>>Bless all of you who have to travel to your students from room to room, whether it be on a cart or not. Teaching is challenging enough without having to carry your own water and water bucket>>>

                                        Kelli I completely agree with you.  My heart went out to everyone on a cart, lugging their water and buckets up flights of steps!

                                        I had my own art room last year and it was heaven!  But, I started this year off with the principal saying, "Gee, I don't know where we'll put you this year.  Hmmmm??"  Did not inspire confidence in me.

                                        It was decided to put me in the library.  Would sound okay, but the room is in the process of recovery and reorganization after Hurricane Katrina flooded our school.  We have a (wonderful) volunteer who is working hard in there, but I feel like an intruder.  She works there
                                        while I teach my class.  It's weird having another adult in the room with us.

                                        The students do their art on a very large, very expensive (donated) and pristine wood conference table and it is surrounded by chairs upholstered in *white!* brocade.  So every beginning of class I have to move the white upholstered chairs to the wall (turned around to protect from splatters) and the students drag in chairs that are stored outside the classroom.

                                        The fancy table must be double covered to protect it.  A student has already (accidently) added a scratch from a needleworking project!

                                        I also lug water jugs into class, but I am so grateful to just have to walk down the school hallway with it and not up flights of steps like some of you!

                                        I don't have a cart, so I have a cardboard box that I carry my supplies home in when I leave for the day.  I also bring home the students work because there is no where to store it.

                                        Thanks for "listening".  I am not even ranting or complaining, just putting in my experience this year while I teach art.  I am the happiest in the classroom and love every minute of it-- even with all the inconveniences!

                                        Rivka

                                      • Kris Fontes
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                          Take a look at the metal etching of Linda Wood's students  at http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Linda-jewelry.htm I have done this with my middle school students and the work they produce is awesome.
                                          Kris Fontes
                                          Northwest Pa

                                        • kamla ravikumar
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                            Hi,

                                            Where can I get more information about a simple project in metal embossing for students?
                                            I can sourse the materials but I need a step-by-step method for a simple lesson.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Kamla

                                          • kamla ravikumar
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                                              Thanks for the link to the metal embossing lesson.It was useful information.

                                              Kamla